Best Studio Headphones
Jun 1, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #499 of 601
I was just thinking if it is possible or if it has be done, that you could use multiple drivers in a headset. So instead of larger drivers 2 or 3 smaller drivers which when combined provide 3 separate frequency ranges/crossovers in the same headset. My reasoning behind this is if it can be done in IEM form why not in headphone form?

Maybe it's down to cost and production plus R&D costs and the eventual final retail cost. I'm sure studio engineers would stump up and speaker manufacturers wouldn't be threatened.  

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #500 of 601
Maybe it's technically more difficult due to the size constraints.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #501 of 601
  I was just thinking if it is possible or if it has be done, that you could use multiple drivers in a headset. So instead of larger drivers 2 or 3 smaller drivers which when combined provide 3 separate frequency ranges/crossovers in the same headset. My reasoning behind this is if it can be done in IEM form why not in headphone form?

Maybe it's down to cost and production plus R&D costs and the eventual final retail cost. I'm sure studio engineers would stump up and speaker manufacturers wouldn't be threatened.  

JVC SZ2000's have multiple drivers

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #503 of 601

Both Final Audio and Klipsch have made multi driver headphones, i dont think any of them have been that successful.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #504 of 601

Both Final Audio and Klipsch have made multi driver headphones, i dont think any of them have been that successful.

Yeah, the JVC's have been discontinued also, so it may not be a profitable design concept.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #505 of 601
You can still buy them for £293 from Amazon Uk although if the product is now discontinued why is advertised for sale and how much backstock are they trying to shift.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #506 of 601
We just finished another review - now it's the old MDR-7506 under the looking glass!

Read the full review here - http://sonarworks.com/2015/06/studio-headphone-review-sony-mdr-7506/

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #507 of 601
Rudewolf, Great Review of the Sony there. It would be great if you added the sony 7510, 7529, and cd900st to the reviews and to the supported cans for calibration in sonarworks

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #508 of 601

There is no reaaon to use multiple drivers because dynamic drivers can cover the entire frequency range.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #510 of 601
All-purpose studio headphones are closed (for monitoring) and must translate well to near-field monitors (for mixing/mastering). Ideally, they should also be comfortable and durable. I thought it could be interesting to make a list of the top contenders, regardless of price.

Possible top contenders, though not marketed as studio monitors:

Mixing/mastering only (open headphones):

For the sake of consistency and comparability, I only listed measurements from the same source: InnerFidelity. Tyll Hertsens, who made the measurements, posted in this thread.
Intresting tread, most people looking for neutral headphones, so studio headphones offer this demand and the good thing is in general they are cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back