Best Studio Headphones
May 28, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #481 of 601
There's too many pages to through.

Studio headphones are subjective to your use and how you drive them in my opinion.

I'm a fan of Sennheiser and AKG headphones.

I own AKG K702 although an upgrade would be AKG K812. Alternatives would be Sennheiser HD800.

Of course, these are expensive will need amplification to get the best out of them.

Previously owned were AKG K272 mk. 2 which are closed back and have a good frequency response although I'm not sure they are best for critical reference.With pre-mastered recordings they can excel being neutral across the listening range lacking only a couple of areas with the low end and midrange slightly shy. 

May 28, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #482 of 601
Isn't the harman curve subjective? I read somewhere it was created by listening sessions.

Bass from speakers is different from headphones because you can feel bass with your body. Hence why it's possible those people in the experiment added more bass to the headphones as they perceive less bass despite the headphones have the same quantity of bass.

As i understand it, they have to add more bass due to lower frequencies being more omnidirectional.

May 28, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #483 of 601
VerDiCT MDr-7
Quote:

Can anyone here talk more about the Sony MDR 7510? Maybe its a less sibilant version of the 7520 even though its not as detailed? 

donunus, I have a PDF of a test from FutureMusic which I don't seem to be able to attach, so I'll copy and paste it. Hope this helps!

Sony MDR-7510 and MDR-7520 | from £134 

With a good pair of headphones a studio essential, Jono Buchanan runs the rule over two new pairs.

WHAT is iT?
Two new additions to Sony’s MDR-7500 headphone series, offering quality to match price
ConTACT
Who: Sony
Tel: +44 (0)1256 683871 Web: pro.sony.eu
HiGHLiGHTs
1 7510s are good value for money
2 7520s ooze sonic class
3 Both offer comfortable, rounded monitoring
priCinG
MDR-7510 £134 MDR-7520 £455
speCs
MDR-7510
Headphone Type: Dynamic, Closed
Magnet Type: Neodymium Driver Size: 50.0mm Frequency Response: 5-40kHz
Impedance: 24 Ohms Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW Power Handling: 2,000mW Plug Type: Gold, Stereo Unimatch 3.5mm/6.3mm adapter
Cord Length: 3m (9.8 ft) Weight:
261g

MDR-7520
Headphone Type: Dynamic, Closed
Magnet Type: Neodymium Driver Size: 50.0mm Frequency Response: 5-80kHz
Impedance: 24 Ohms Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW Power Handling: 4,000mW Plug Type: Gold, Stereo Unimatch 3.5mm/6.3mm adapter
Cord Length: 3m (9.8 ft) Weight:
269g

No programmer, producer or mix engineer worth their salt would contemplate carrying out a professional task without referring their mix to headphones at some stage. Indeed, many are as reliant on a decent pair of cans as they are on their studio monitors. Sony have a proud pedigree in this field and the models on review here extend its MDR-7500 range by two, which are both designed for critical listening with different budgets in mind. 

MDR-7510
Starting with the cheaper MDR-7510s, these are built both for mixing and reference monitoring, pitching them as an every-day choice. What’s immediately striking is the detail in the bass end of these headphones – not murky or dark but full of weight and power. Similarly, the top end is nicely balanced – not falsely coloured or over-flattering, which is so important as these are the frequencies which lead to ear fatigue. For me, the detail in the mid-range is the only area where you have to be careful if you’re making Dance music as the bass end is generous enough to leave low-mids, in particular, a little swamped.
However, they compare very favourably to my trusty AKG271s, which actually sounded a touch thinner by comparison. What’s also pleasing is that the generous frequency response is consistent regardless of listening volume. Some headphones encourage
louder monitoring through their poorer performances at low
levels – fortunately, this isn’t the case here at all. 

MDR-7520
If the 7510s are impressive, the 7520s take headphone monitoring to a whole other level, as you’d hope, as these cans cost £455 – more than three times the price. The quality is unmistakable, with an extremely detailed sound and staggering power.
Like their little brothers, they feature a closed-back design which provides a great level of acoustic isolation but unlike the 7510’s 2000mW of power handling, these headphones provide a whopping 4000mW, driven by a 50mm unit which uses a liquid crystal polymer film diaphragm. Also, frequency response is effectively doubled here, as while the 7510s range from 5Hz to 40kHz, the upper limit is extended to 80kHz within the 7520s. The amount of power offered here would cause vibrations in most headphone designs but Sony have countered this with a specially-designed magnesium-alloy housing, which has the added benefit of reducing weight and aiding comfort through extended listening sessions.
And what a joy those sessions are
– bass is robust again but with tighter definition, the stereo picture seems more controlled, treble absolutely shines without becoming over-flattering and there’s a detail which users will find an essential friend as they check and double-check mixes. Comparatively, the 7510s offer better value for money, as their quality belies their substantially cheaper price but the 7520s do provide a richer, more rewarding sound. The choice is yours but both models are seriously impressive. 

Two very solid pairs of pro headphones – check your wallet and take your pick. 

May 28, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #484 of 601
Thanks for that. It's the statement there that the bass covers some lower mids that bothers me a little. I hope its not much of an issue though.

May 28, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #486 of 601
I did see this after reading the whole entire thread hehehe... but yah so far as the detail is concerned, would you say they sound okay while being musical at the same time?

I was searching for a neutral sound, so the 7510 satisfied this criterion (listening, among other things, to recordings of my own voice). Sound-wise, I liked it best with the HP50.

May 29, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #491 of 601
  Read that entire thread too. Nothing there about the 7510.

I'm sorry, I was thinking that you were interested in the 7520, but reading your original post again I realise that it's the 7510 you're after. Apart from 'value for money' I very much doubt that the 7510 is going to be 'better' than the 7520 in any way, but let us know if you get a chance to compare them. Here's another copy and paste of another article comparing them, this time from a German magazine (so it's in German!).

Sony

[size=inherit]MDR-75[/size][size=inherit]1[/size][size=inherit][/size][size=inherit][/size][size=inherit]MDR-7520 [/size]

Kein Studio kommt ohne Kopfhörer für Sänger, Instrumentalisten
und für die Kontrolle der Ab- mischung aus. Kein Wunder
also, dass dieses Marktsegment dicht besiedelt ist. Mit den beiden Modellen MDR-7510 und MDR-7520 erweitert
Sony sein Sortiment
um zwei dynamische, geschlossene Kopfhörer,

[size=inherit]die sich für Monitoring, Abmischung und Broadcast empfehlen.[/size]

Obwohl sie nahezu identisch aussehen, ist der MDR-7510
aus Hartkunststoff ... 

... der MDR-7520 dagegen aus einer Magnesiumlegierung gefertigt. 

Rein äußerlich gleichen sich die beiden neuen Sony­Modelle bis auf die Ausführung der Kabelanbindung fast wie das sprichwörtliche eine Ei dem anderen. Die feinen Unterschiede zwischen den Kopfhörern liegen jedoch unter der Oberfläche in den technischen Details und schlagen sich dementsprechend auch direkt in einem deutlichen Preisabstand nieder: Der MDR 7510 ist mit etwa 150 Euro noch in der unteren Mittelklasse angesie­ delt, der mehr als dreimal so teure MDR­ 7520 spielt für knapp 525 Euro dagegen preislich schon in der Oberklasse mit. 

Äußere Merkmale

page1image22360
page1image22528
page1image22688
Während der MDR 7510 aus Hartkunst­ stoff gefertigt ist, besteht das Gehäuse des MDR­7520 aus einer ultraleichten Mag­ nesiumlegierung. Die Ohrkapseln sind in Grenzen drehbar, passen sich gut an, sind jedoch nicht platzsparend für den Trans­ port faltbar. Sehr angenehm ist die weiche, mit Kunstleder überzogene Polsterung des Bügels und der Innenseite der Ohrkapseln. Die Kopfhörer liegen dadurch zu jeder Zeit fest und rutschsicher an. Auch das niedrige Gewicht, beim MDR 7510 sind es 261, beim MDR 7520 269 Gramm, trägt zu einem ins­gesamt guten Tragekomfort bei. Für beide Kopfhörer gilt, dass auch längeres Arbeiten nicht zu einem unangenehmen Druck des Bügels auf die Schädelmitte führt. Eine gewisse Einschränkung für Menschen mit überdurchschnittlich großen Ohren ergibt sich aber aus den sparsam gehaltenen Dimensionen der Ohrkapseln: Mit einem Innendurchmesser von vier Zentimetern in der Horizontalen kann es im Einzelfall etwas eng werden – größere Bauformen mancher Mitbewerber führen andererseits zu einem höheren Gewicht. Beide Kopfhörer sind mit einem drei Meter langen Kabel ausgestat­tet, welches bis auf die letzten 70 Zenti­ meter als Spiralkabel ausgeführt ist. Damit sollte man im Studio eine ausreichende Bewegungsfreiheit haben, ohne sich im Ka­ bel zu verstricken. Die vergoldeten Stecker sind in Miniklinkenausführung mit Schraub­ adapter auf große Stereoklinke ausgeführt. Beide Kopfhörer sind mit Neodym­Treibern, sauerstofffreien Kupferspulen und Kalotten mit 50 Millimeter Durchmesser ausgestattet und verfügen über eine Impedanz von 24 Ohm. Die Lautsprecher sind leicht schräg
in die Kapseln eingearbeitet, sodass das Audiosignal nicht frontal auf den Gehör­ gang trifft, sondern sich der Anatomie des Außenohrs anpasst. Diese Bauweise fördert die räumliche Schallwahrnehmung. Insge­ samt sind die Kopfhörer sauber verarbeitet und strapazierfähig. 

MDR-7510 

Für den „kleineren“ der beiden Brüder weist der Hersteller einen Frequenzgang von 5 Hertz bis 40 Kilohertz aus. In der Tat klingt der MDR­7510 über das gesamte Frequenz­ spektrum hinweg sehr ausgewogen. Dabei kommen auch tiefe Bässe zur Geltung, ein Bereich, in dem so mancher Mitbewerber Probleme hat und die der MDR­7510 neutral wiedergibt. Wenn es hier dröhnt, ist es eher ein Zeichen dafür, dass man bei der Mi­ schung etwas falsch gemacht hat. Auch die Mitten werden angenehm wiedergegeben, hier gibt es kein Frequenzloch, geschweige denn Resonanzen. Im Höhenbereich zeich­ net der MDR­7510 prinzipiell auch recht sauber, verhält sich für meinen Geschmack jedoch ein wenig zu gutmütig, sodass überbetonte Höhen in einer Mischung nicht zu jeder Zeit auffallen. Insgesamt liefert der MDR­7510 dennoch ein ausgewoge­ nes, kompaktes Klangbild, ohne dass die Lokalisation der Instrumente im Stereo­ panorama leiden würde. Er überzeugt durch eine Neutralität, wie sie mir in dieser Preisklasse bisher noch nicht begegnet ist. Auch die dynamische Wiedergabe weiß zu überzeugen, Transienten verwischen hier nicht. Mit der bereits beschriebenen kleinen Einschränkung der etwas zu unkritischen Höhenabbildung eignet er sich daher
zur Kontrolle einer Abmischung ebenso wie als Monitorkopfhörer für Aufnahme­ zwecke. 

MDR-7520 

Für das neue Spitzenmodell der 7500er­ Reihe wird ein Frequenzgang von 5 Hertz bis 80 Kilohertz ausgewiesen. Die Kalotten sind mit einem Flüssigkeitskristall­Poly­ merfilm eingebettet, der unter anderem für eine besonders detailgetreue Wiedergabe sorgen soll. Sein vornehmlicher Arbeitsbe­ reich ist die Kontrolle von Abmischungen, er eignet sich jedoch auch für Broadcasting und durch die geschlossene Bauweise als Monitor­Kopfhörer für Gesangs­ und Instrumentenaufnahmen. Im Gegensatz zum MDR­7510 sind die Ohrpolster mit einem Spezialschaum gefüllt, der sich der individuellen Form des menschlichen Ohrs noch besser anpasst und zusätzlich isoliert. Die sehr dicht und fest am Ohr sitzenden Polster bringen es allerdings auch mit sich, dass man einen etwas stärkeren Anlage­ druck verspürt, sodass das Arbeitsgefühl beim MDR­7520 nicht ganz so leicht und unauffällig ist und das „gefühlte“ Gewicht etwas höher ausfällt als beim MDR­7510.
Im Vergleich zu anderen Kopfhörern, die oft klobiger und schwerer sind, relativiert sich dies jedoch deutlich und insgesamt ist ein unbeschwertes Arbeiten auch über einen längeren Zeitraum möglich. Wie zu erwar­ ten, übertrifft der MDR­7520 den kleinen Bruder bei der Klangwiedergabe. Auch er überzeugt mit einem ausgewogenen Klang, der jedoch noch offener und räumlicher ist, bietet volle, runde Bässe, ebenfalls gut ausbalancierte Mitten und eine hoch auflösende, detailreiche Höhenwieder­ gabe. Besonders im unteren und oberen Frequenzbereich wird der Unterschied zum MDR­7510 sehr deutlich. Die Bässe werden noch eine Spur prägnanter abgebildet. In den Höhen liefert der MDR­7520 ein ana­ lytisches Klangbild, ohne dabei scharf oder hart zu klingen. Die Wiedergabe von Tran­ sienten gelingt detailliert. Ohne den Klang schön zu färben, reagiert auch der MDR­ 7520 für meinen Geschmack auf überbe­ tonte Höhen und Bässe bis zu einem ge­ wissen Grad etwas zu genügsam. Das führt zu einem angenehmen, ermüdungsfreien Arbeiten, erfordert jedoch unter Umständen eine zusätzliche Kontrolle dieser Frequenz­ bereiche mit kritischeren Monitoren. Beide Modelle könnte ich übrigens nicht als Emp­ fehlung für nur ein Musikgenre verorten. Durch ihre Ausgewogenheit eignen sie sich sowohl für symphonisch orientierte Filmmu­ sik als auch für aggressivere zeitgenössi­ sche Musikarten, bei denen man vom guten Impulsverhalten und der ausreichenden Dynamik profitiert, die auch bei höheren Pegeln keine Probleme aufkommen lässt. Wem es auf feinste Details ankommt, dem sei der MDR­7520 empfohlen.

Fazit 

Während der MDR­7510 in seiner Preisklas­ se vor allem durch eine gute dynamische Abbildung und einen ausgewogenen, neu­ tralen Klang hervorsticht und als Allrounder für Studios mit begrenztem Budget eine Empfehlung ist, verbreitet der MDR­7520 Noblesse mit einer vollen, runden Wieder­ gabe der Bässe und detailliert gezeichneten Höhen. Das Topmodell bietet ein ausge­ sprochen offenes Klangbild mit guter räum­ licher Lokalisierbarkeit der Instrumente.
Der Tragekomfort ist durch die komfortable Polsterung und das geringe Gewicht gut, soweit die persönliche Ohrgröße zum etwas knapp gehaltenen Innendurchmesser der Ohrkapseln passt.
K

Andreas Ecker 

image.tiff

May 29, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #493 of 601
  I think that the HiFiMan series often works rather well due to its open back end design which allows sound to move a little more freely similar to speakers.

Many headphones have open backs. Open headphones aren't labelled as studio monitors because they can't be used by performers to monitor themselves, but they can be a better choice than closed headphones for mixing/mastering. Still, while there's a "Mixing/mastering only (open headphones)" section in the opening post (a small one, because the original Grail of this thread was to finds headphones that could do it all, from monitoring to mastering) and I'm not adverse to adding a HiFiMan product, I'd need to know which one -- I can't add the whole series. It doesn't prevent discussing them in this thread as studio tools, mind you.

If you love open headphones, find and try the K1000
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #494 of 601
Thanks Mike F, Sinocelt, and  others that have been helpful. I will try to see if I can understand the german text when translated. I think for the price, the 7510 is a no brainer since what I want is a relatively smooth and relatively accurate headphone that has a coiled cord and has good sensitivity as well,... I'll just take the risk and buy a pair. What have I got to lose? :)

May 29, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #495 of 601
  Thanks Mike F, Sinocelt, and  others that have been helpful. I will try to see if I can understand the german text when translated. I think for the price, the 7510 is a no brainer since what I want is a relatively smooth and relatively accurate headphone that has a coiled cord and has good sensitivity as well,... I'll just take the risk and buy a pair. What have I got to lose? :)

I agree - go for it! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back