Best Studio Headphones
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #421 of 601

Yeah the dip in the presence area on the FSP looks drastic But it looks more drastic then it really sounds. Actually to my suprise it matches really good in resolution with my monitors. The treble on the FSP may sound so "unnatural" like I often read in reviews, because its so dry. I think its the missing in-room reverberation. I would prefer if it wouldn't compare that good because I really hate the comfort factor on the FSP. :D Wasn't the sound balance I have returned them immideatily

And You're right that the 7520 driver mis-match may just be a product variation. Couldn't test a second pair as they are hard to get in Europe. The mismatch wasn't really obvious in stereo but if I switched to mono it was noticable. In the time I tested the 7520 i found some flaws in my current project/master that wasn't clear audible with the FSPs/Genelecs. Even with that microscopic characteristic I decide against the 7520 because of the bassy balance and the huge dip. Fore sure its good to have a dip there. Its enjoable for fun listening also a thick big bass. But for mastering and mix decisions its a worse case, as you would lead to think the mix sounds ok, while somenones ears starting to bleed because of to much sharp 4,5Khz. I think you know what I' trying to indicate. Its the studio headphone thread. So I think preferation shouldn't be an remarkable attribute.

So as always measurements don't tell the so hole story. Just an indication. The soundstage for example on the 7520 is so narrow. You couldn't tell alone with graphs. For me its important to have trustful can to save time on making mix decisions. But of course I want also enjoy other music too. 

P.S.: I maybe update the graphs with csd graphs later on when I find time.

I totally understand what you're saying about needing something which works well for mixing/mastering and not something which just sounds good, but I can't equate what you're saying with the many reports I've read (of which the Gearslutz thread I quoted above was just one example) of sound engineers saying that mixes done on the 7520's translate extremely well. Also, I have to say, that your post seems to be somewhat contradictory. You say that the 7520's revealed some flaws in you project master that weren't apparent either with the FSP's or even with the Genenlecs, indicating that they are very good for critical listening, but then you dismiss them saying that they're OK if you want a fun sound. Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to argue with you or find fault in what you've taken the time to write here - I'm just genuinely confused!

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #422 of 601

I totally understand what you're saying about needing something which works well for mixing/mastering and not something which just sounds good, but I can't equate what you're saying with the many reports I've read (of which the Gearslutz thread I quoted above was just one example) of sound engineers saying that mixes done on the 7520's translate extremely well. Also, I have to say, that your post seems to be somewhat contradictory. You say that the 7520's revealed some flaws in you project master that weren't apparent either with the FSP's or even with the Genenlecs, indicating that they are very good for critical listening, but then you dismiss them saying that they're OK if you want a fun sound but they're not good for mixing. Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to argue with you or find fault in what you've taken the time to write here - I'm just genuinely confused!

Well I think I didn't explain it right then. I could spot some crackles and clicks. Yes. But to get an overall impression of the mix balance or how th staggering of the vocals is in relation to drums. No way.
Find some clicks and crackles is an sidejob. I get that done with my IEMs sometimes. Not important as balance and vocals. Anyways. Each to his own. If it works fro someone then great. There are guys who mix their stuff on on those beatz hps :wink:

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #423 of 601

Well I think I didn't explain it right then. I could spot some crackles and clicks. Yes. But to get an overall impression of the mix balance or how th staggering of the vocals is in relation to drums. No way.
Find some clicks and crackles is an sidejob. I get that done with my IEMs sometimes. Not important as balance and vocals. Anyways. Each to his own. If it works fro someone then great. There are guys who mix their stuff on on those beatz hps :wink:

Thanks for the explanation. It's interesting to get different opinions, even if (I have to confess) I find some of what you say very difficult to believe (or rather, understand).

Still, I'd be very interested in more measurement graphs when you have them. Thanks again.

PS, I'd love to get some FSP's myself, but I just know that they would be supra-aural for me, and I really need studio headphones to be circum-aural.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #425 of 601
Tyll made measurments of the 7520 finally. And he got pretty clear words for this can.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-april-2015-update

Yeah, Mike told us and I already added a link to the measurements to the opening post. What a bummer.

PS, I'd love to get some FSP's myself, but I just know that they would be supra-aural for me, and I really need studio headphones to be circum-aural.

If you're more than six years old, they're supra-aural.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #427 of 601
Still love my 7520's, but on seeing Tyll's measurements I'm now pretty hesitant to recommend them. I still think I'll keep them and use them as I have, since they worked just fine before I knew how wonky they apparently are.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #428 of 601
Like I said before. Don't trust gearlutz regarding headphones. xD

There are lots of wannabes on GS, of course, but there are also seasoned professionals, as Mike pointed out. (Including plenty who acknowledge that the NS10, industry standard that it is/was, is more a marketing than a technical success.)

Still love my 7520's, but on seeing Tyll's measurements I'm now pretty hesitant to recommend them. I still think I'll keep them and use them as I have, since they worked just fine before I knew how wonky they apparently are.

biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #429 of 601

Perhaps it's best to keep using your ears instead of your eyes?! :wink:

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #431 of 601
In the end of the day, it's all about knowing your monitors. I used to produce on some cheap Alesis MKII monitors when I was 16 years old using my Access Virus TI as audio interface and the mixes translated extremely well to other speakers. My mixes never sounded bright despite the veil since I was quite aware were the monitors was lacking.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #432 of 601
In the end of the day, it's all about knowing your monitors. I used to produce on some cheap Alesis MKII monitors when I was 16 years old using my Access Virus TI as audio interface and the mixes translated extremely well to other speakers. My mixes never sounded bright despite the veil since I was quite aware were the monitors was lacking.

Yes. But there you were a kid and had the time to double check everything. Isn't it ideal to hear what you hear and not think about what is missing? Saves a lot of time. Its the same with graphic design. You will fail adjusting a specific color tone balance when your monitors are oversaturated as hell. In the end its about having a reference.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #433 of 601

Perhaps it's best to keep using your ears instead of your eyes?! :wink:

Absolutely! Tyll's measurements just lend context to the polarizing nature of the 7520's. Because I love them, and many here love them. But I read plenty of head-scratching reviews written by disappointed people confused at the cans' praise. It's enough to sprinkle asterisks over my recommendations of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back