or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Studio Headphones - Page 27

post #391 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

I'm a fairly serious carguy. On a forum dedicated to one of my cars, one often heard from someone who claims to race and asks which tires he should buy. Our response is always, "Why don't you know?" Similarly, albeit in a round-about manner, when it comes to studio use it's not a matter of which transducer is most accurate; it's about which headphone you're used to.

 

I agree, but I don't think this thread is about which transducer is most accurate, it's about which is the best headphone, in each category, for studio use. That's not (necessarily) the same thing as which headphone, in each category, is the best for casual listening, for field work, or for use on the move, etc, it's specific to studio use. There are some headphones which excel in more than one area, and some of those are on the list, but I think that there are certainly some hp's, particularly in the closed back section, which may be very good for studio work, but wouldn't be a first choice in any other situation. Yes, to a large extent the hp you're used to is going to be the best, but I think it's still valid to come to a collective consensus about which hp is considered by most people to be the 'best' for a specific use.

post #392 of 536
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post
 

Glad to see the Alpha Dog made the list. It really is one of the best closed headphones if you want neutrality, great isolation, and amazing soundstage depth. It should be marketed towards studio use

 

Though maybe I need to replace it in the list by the Alpha Prime, now!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post

I'm a fairly serious carguy. On a forum dedicated to one of my cars, one often heard from someone who claims to race and asks which tires he should buy. Our response is always, "Why don't you know?" Similarly, albeit in a round-about manner, when it comes to studio use it's not a matter of which transducer is most accurate; it's about which headphone you're used to.

 

You're thinking of sound engineers with a lot of experience, who've learned to compensate for the flaws of their specific headphones. They have indeed little reason to change. But people who just start as sound engineers are much better off with as-neutral-as-possible cans than with not-really-accurate-but-you'll-eventually-learn-to-compensate cans.

post #393 of 536

Some info on the Sony MDR-7520. See post 1968:- http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/1965

post #394 of 536
Thread Starter 

Zis is not possible! I refuse to believe it! 

 

I agree with your comments, Mike. :blink: 

post #395 of 536
you can also add 612pro to the mixing/mastering open headphone list. probably the most neutral open back in that price range.
post #396 of 536
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post

you can also add 612pro to the mixing/mastering open headphone list. probably the most neutral open back in that price range.

 

There's no "price range" in the OP list. It's all "price no object." For that reason, I try, as much as possible, to only list the best studio monitor from any given manufacturer. So, would you say the 612 Pro beats the 712 Pro and the 812?

 

This comparative review favors the 612 Pro ... but takes the price into account.

 

Has anyone here tried the three models?


Edited by Sinocelt - 4/11/15 at 7:02am
post #397 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

There's no "price range" in the OP list. It's all "price no object." For that reason, I try, as much as possible, to only list the best studio monitor from any given manufacturer. So, would you say the 612 Pro beats the 712 Pro and the 812?

This comparative review favors the 612 Pro ... but takes the price into account.

Has anyone here tried the three models?

I haven't tried 712 yet. but it should be neutral as 612 according to the impressions/reviews ..
post #398 of 536
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post

I haven't tried 712 yet. but it should be neutral as 612 according to the impressions/reviews ..

 

Yeah, but we need to know which one is best, so we can salivate more efficiently.

 

I've added the K612 Pro to the main list ... provisionally (pending more comparisons to his more expensive brothers). 

 

I've found measurements for the K612 on Tyll's page, but is that really the same as the K612 Pro? When I Google K612, I get the K612 pro, as if there was no "non Pro" model.

post #399 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
 

 

 

 

I've found measurements for the K612 on Tyll's page, but is that really the same as the K612 Pro? When I Google K612, I get the K612 pro, as if there was no "non Pro" model.

 

I think you might be confused with 601,  there is no non pro version (like 612)...  612pro is the successor of 601. I think 612pro has better bass extension and more balanced compared to 601 according to impressions here..

 

you can find the 601/612pro measurements on goldenears.

http://en.goldenears.net/8449

http://en.goldenears.net/42471


Edited by appsmarsterx - 4/11/15 at 10:35am
post #400 of 536
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post
 

 

I think you might be confused with 601,  there is no non pro version (like 612)... 

 

Tyll gave the measurement for the K612, so I wasn't sure if it was a different model or if, as my Google search seemed to indicate, he'd just omitted the "Pro."

post #401 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
 

 

Tyll gave the measurement for the K612, so I wasn't sure if it was a different model or if, as my Google search seemed to indicate, he'd just omitted the "Pro."

There is no 612, just the 612 pro.

post #402 of 536
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post
 

There is no 612, just the 612 pro.

 

Yup, that's what I understood.

post #403 of 536

I'm considering going outside the box of traditional studio headphones for mixing and trying something like the PSB M4U. I can't seem to get feedback on this particular can in terms of studio use and mixing though. Any ideas on how well this can would be for that use? How well it responds to eq, dynamics & effects processing? Would these do any masking to the sound to make things "sound better?"

 

I'm currently using M50's and MDR-CD900ST. Looking for something more neutral and natural than these. Considering German Maestro 8.35 as well. The PSB I'm leaning more towards cause it would cover my overall wants a little more if it's suitable for studio work.

post #404 of 536
Thread Starter 

Paul Barton designed for the M4U 1 and M4U 2 before he designed the HP50. Tyll preferred the latter. As for me, I've tried the HP50 but not the M4U, so I can't compare.

post #405 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
 

Paul Barton designed for the M4U 1 and M4U 2 before he designed the HP50. Tyll preferred the latter. As for me, I've tried the HP50 but not the M4U, so I can't compare.


Yeah, I'm aware, but I like the design of the M4U a little more. If that's the one I go for, it will be an all rounder for iPhone, iPad use, too. I like to use my studio headphones, if possible, as my everyday headphone so I stay acquainted with it's sound. The HP50 is not a headphone I'd leave the house with.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home