Best Studio Headphones
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #331 of 601
In television studios I've worked in we used Beyerdynamic 108, 190, and 290 headphones for floor communication and DT-770 for Voiceovers. We used AKG-K240S for all other applications. Camera people and others used Plantronic Starsets.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #332 of 601
  The DT 150 seems like an excellent deal, being 100 less than the 7520

I got the 7520 for $250. :) But I digress.

I'm really curious to hear more about DT150's. I love the heavy-duty look, and something that goes toe-to-toe with one of the studio mid-fi open-backs (does that phrase make sense) is something I want to hear about.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #333 of 601
  I've sold HD600 after having 7520 for a test drive. I'll probably buy another pair because I find them that good. For me, there's no comparison with HD600 for studio work - 7520 wins over everything you can imagine - they are very very accurate from lows to mids to highs, very very clean/neutral sounding, resolving of all the tiniest details in recordings (sometimes too much!), and I think they have just realistic soundstage - neither big nor small. And what's best - they translate extremely well to every possible system you can imagine. I'd rank them alongside HD800. 

Have you ever tried the Yamaha HPH-MT220? Anyone knows how they compare to the MDR 7520 for studo work?

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #336 of 601
I f
Have you ever tried the Yamaha HPH-MT220? Anyone knows how they compare to the MDR 7520 for studo work?

In terms of accuracy I found the 7520s to be far too emphasised in the lows and highs, the highs in particular were quite sibilant at times. The yamaha mt220s on the other hand sounded a lot more balanced and comfortable but did not isolate as well. The only downside I found was they can sound a bit 'hallish' at times if you get what I mean which made certain tracks sound a bit unnatural. I managed to score some mt220s online for AU $130 and at that price there is nothing else that can match them, they're easily on par with $400 cans.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #337 of 601
I f
In terms of accuracy I found the 7520s to be far too emphasised in the lows and highs, the highs in particular were quite sibilant at times. The yamaha mt220s on the other hand sounded a lot more balanced and comfortable but did not isolate as well. The only downside I found was they can sound a bit 'hallish' at times if you get what I mean which made certain tracks sound a bit unnatural. I managed to score some mt220s online for AU $130 and at that price there is nothing else that can match them, they're easily on par with $400 cans.

Thanks, can you please explain ''hallish'' google translation don't know it..
And that's a excelent price! Here it cost 200 euros...

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #338 of 601
sounds like u are in a hall= hallish

feels like u are in hell= hellish :p

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #339 of 601
Thanks, can you please explain ''hallish'' google translation don't know it..
And that's a excelent price! Here it cost 200 euros...

By 'hallish' I mean it can sound like the music is being performed in a big hall, it's almost like the headphone add a sort of reverb effect to certain tracks which makes them sound somewhat unnatural.
I originally had the 7520s but sold them due to the sibilant and fatiguing highs. I then switched to the mt220s which are amazing for the price I got them for but I didn't like that Hall effect that it can add and it was a little rough in the upper mids to my ear. I now use the focal spirit pros which I cannot fault when it comes to the sound, very smooth and accurate from top to bottom. The only fault is the earcups aren't the most comfortable out of the box but they improve over time.
Keep in mind that I'm not an audio professional but merely an enthusiast who likes to record and mix audio and video.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #340 of 601
By 'hallish' I mean it can sound like the music is being performed in a big hall, it's almost like the headphone add a sort of reverb effect to certain tracks which makes them sound somewhat unnatural.
I originally had the 7520s but sold them due to the sibilant and fatiguing highs. I then switched to the mt220s which are amazing for the price I got them for but I didn't like that Hall effect that it can add and it was a little rough in the upper mids to my ear. I now use the focal spirit pros which I cannot fault when it comes to the sound, very smooth and accurate from top to bottom. The only fault is the earcups aren't the most comfortable out of the box but they improve over time.
Keep in mind that I'm not an audio professional but merely an enthusiast who likes to record and mix audio and video.

Thanks I understand it now lol
So for mixing you recommend the Focal Spirit Pro over the MT220? And what about soundstage and imaging between these 2, how do they compare?

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #341 of 601
Thanks I understand it now lol
So for mixing you recommend the Focal Spirit Pro over the MT220? And what about soundstage and imaging between these 2, how do they compare?

The mt220 has a very big soundstage for a closed back, maybe too big at times which can make it sound a bit unnatural and give that hall type effect. I would say the imaging and soundstage sound a lot more natural on the spirit pros, they also have quite a wide soundstage for a closed back. If I had to describe the difference I'd say the mt220 soundstage is taller where as the focal soundstage is wider, if that makes sense to you.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #342 of 601
I don't want to fall foul of any cross posting rules, so here's a link to a post which is relevant to studio headphones that I put on the 7520 thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/1635#post_10850454

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #345 of 601
The mt220 has a very big soundstage for a closed back, maybe too big at times which can make it sound a bit unnatural and give that hall type effect. I would say the imaging and soundstage sound a lot more natural on the spirit pros, they also have quite a wide soundstage for a closed back. If I had to describe the difference I'd say the mt220 soundstage is taller where as the focal soundstage is wider, if that makes sense to you.

a suitable velor pad will naturalise the sound..making it a superb can. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back