Best "Starter" Headphones? - HiFiMan HE-400 / AKG K712 / Sennheiser HD650 / Sennheiser HD600
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #32 of 42
I have the HD650, the HE400, and the K712. I prefer the sound of the HE400 the most, but it's way too heavy and gives me neck aches after awhile. The HD650 has been my primary HP's for awhile, but I have been looking for something that provides more soundstage and a less "veiled" sound. I recently got the K712's to test out, after realizing that my head cannot carry anything over 300g's of weight without discomfort, and prefer it much more to the 650's. I really think the K712 deserves a more popularity, as I haven't really heard about it much and Sennheiser's are much well known than AKG's. If you game a lot, and require a good soundstage (which either the 650 or the 600 wouldn't provide), imaging, a neutral sound, well extended but realistic bass, extremely comfort (the K712's are 230g's and are even more comfortable than the 600/650's), I would suggest the K712's. If your head can tolerate lots of weight, and don't plan on spending more than $300 for DAC/amp combo, I would suggest the HE400.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #33 of 42
I went straight from Beyerdynamic DT990 PROs to the HE-500, so I've never heard any of these cans, but I'd say a safe bet for a starter can would be any of the Beyer 880 or 990 series, as you can find them under $200 very easily. $300+ is mid-fi more like it, but I'm glad you're looking straight towards higher-end cans. The HE-400 is supposed to have excellent bass texture and reproduction. The 650 is supposed to be a warm can ideal for a lot of music if you're into listening to chill stuff and don't need a lot of energy. The 600 is more neutral than the 650, but I've never heard any of these, so these are all impressions I've got from reading tons of reviews. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #34 of 42
  I have the HD650, the HE400, and the K712. I prefer the sound of the HE400 the most, but it's way too heavy and gives me neck aches after awhile. The HD650 has been my primary HP's for awhile, but I have been looking for something that provides more soundstage and a less "veiled" sound. I recently got the K712's to test out, after realizing that my head cannot carry anything over 300g's of weight without discomfort, and prefer it much more to the 650's. I really think the K712 deserves a more popularity, as I haven't really heard about it much and Sennheiser's are much well known than AKG's. If you game a lot, and require a good soundstage (which either the 650 or the 600 wouldn't provide), imaging, a neutral sound, well extended but realistic bass, extremely comfort (the K712's are 230g's and are even more comfortable than the 600/650's), I would suggest the K712's. If your head can tolerate lots of weight, and don't plan on spending more than $300 for DAC/amp combo, I would suggest the HE400.

Hey its great to see that you own bot of He400 & K712. Can you elaborate the diff. b/w both of them as i am having he400 and was planning to take K712 too. Are they better than He400?

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #35 of 42
I usually would have voted  HD600s, but I think fidelio X2 is the better one

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #36 of 42
Winner must be the HD600 without a doubt
biggrin.gif

DT880 is also a good starter as well

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #37 of 42
I would reccomend the HD600 as the start and end of your audio search. Add a cheap tube amp like the little dot mkiii and you will not need anything else. I'm saying this after selling my suggested set-up and getting the HD800 and the Burson Conductor amp and the sound difference is small compared to the amount of money I've spent. I also suggest the DT990 Pro as an increddibly fun headphone for games and movies.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #38 of 42
There's so many headphones why limit yourself to those?

picking one depends on your sound preference. I think the HD600 is a good headphone but it's age is showing with all these young bucks. It has a nice tone, close to neutral. It rolls off on both ends and has a slightly grainy character especially compared to it's brother and other warm, smooth headphones. Vocals are not too bad, not forward and not pushed back with a slight hint of brightness to the voices. For the most part they are quite smooth.

If you want an all rounder the HE400i is a much better option, more liquid and smooth with more extended and powerful bass. Better mids and better treble. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #39 of 42
I went with the HD650's.
And, now that I've paired them with a 'good' amp, I'm very pleased with the headphones and sound.

Mike

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #40 of 42
I've owned them all (and many others). Yes. Most of them had been tested A/B to HD600s before leaving my house.

The clear answer is : AKG K712

Guys craving for DT880s had clearly not listened the AKG beast on it's best. I had those too.

After owning so many mid-tire headphones, I never thought something is goanna make me sell Sennheiser HD600s. AKG 712 did it. These sound much better compared to the entire 701 seris, fixing most issues.

Now AKG K712 are the only headphones I use. They scale higher then the rest.

Sennheisers can't give you the speed and transparency, HiFiMan lose on comfort and timber, Bayerdynamic lose on treble and sibilance, Philips - more grain and distortion. No other headphone you've listed could achieve AKG K712 life-like timber and natural sound reproduction.

They can get you as close to the REAL sound as possible, as long as you don't have the money for an HD800.

K712 sound natural, yet punchy, clear, tight, extended, deep, fast, huge and life-like.

K712 - My new reference. End of story. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #41 of 42
Oppo pm 3 gets my vote.

If you go with oppo pm 3 you won't regret it.

They are fantastic headphones/addictive, others would agree.

Give them a listen before you buy, you will know what i am on about.

The clear anwser for me is the oppo pm 3 :p.

If you go with oppo pm 3 it would be the best choice you would have made.

Would make a great start is you went with oppo pm 3, wish it was my first headphone.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #42 of 42
  I've owned them all (and many others). Yes. Most of them had been tested A/B to HD600s before leaving my house.

The clear answer is : AKG K712

Guys craving for DT880s had clearly not listened the AKG beast on it's best. I had those too.

After owning so many mid-tire headphones, I never thought something is goanna make me sell Sennheiser HD600s. AKG 712 did it. These sound much better compared to the entire 701 seris, fixing most issues.

Now AKG K712 are the only headphones I use. They scale higher then the rest.

Sennheisers can't give you the speed and transparency, HiFiMan lose on comfort and timber, Bayerdynamic lose on treble and sibilance, Philips - more grain and distortion. No other headphone you've listed could achieve AKG K712 life-like timber and natural sound reproduction.

They can get you as close to the REAL sound as possible, as long as you don't have the money for an HD800.

K712 sound natural, yet punchy, clear, tight, extended, deep, fast, huge and life-like.

K712 - My new reference. End of story. 

i agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back