Best sounding player for Sony MDR-EX1000
Mar 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Graviton

Head-Fier
Recently I've bot these impressive Sony earphones and now want to purchase a new player for them.
Now I have Cowon S9, it's quite old model, but produces pretty good sound. I also have Fiio E6 amplifier, which is often useful despite Cowon's high output. I'm just wondering if I can get more from EX1000 earphones.
Could someone please advise what is the best option for EX1000 now? first of all I'm very interested in Cowon Z2 and Sony NWZ-Z1000. Cowon Z2 has advantages like format support, video battery life, micro-USB, high output power. But when I'm reading feedbacks about Z1000, it seems like it's the best player ever! Despite it has the same amplifier as A860 series (which wasn't that good in terms of sound).
I have no possibility to listen to players before buying. So all my hope is about your help, guys! Quite hard choice.
Probably sony earphones shouls sound best with sony walkman, isn't it??

P.S. Please don't propose any Chinese stuff like hifiman or teclast!

Thanks in advance!

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 10
I'll just post my impressions as I just got a Z1060 today.

Ok guys I just got my new Sony Z1060 + Armin Van buren + Clear Bass Level 2 + CKS77 =

I can't describe how this sounds. It is simply perfection on every level. UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!

This new player is everything you read on headfi. These are completely worth the price of admission. Just get one.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
from my research there appears to be minimal upgrade in terms of sound quality between the s9 and z2...
s9 still have one of the best sound without the chinese dap+amp all in ones.
if your bored, you can try the warmer sony daps, or you can play with the eq on the s9.
price wise it still looks pretty crazy, if you have money lying around then it's worth a try, if not, then wait for price drops or sales.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
from my research there appears to be minimal upgrade in terms of sound quality between the s9 and z2...
s9 still have one of the best sound without the chinese dap+amp all in ones.
if your bored, you can try the warmer sony daps, or you can play with the eq on the s9.
price wise it still looks pretty crazy, if you have money lying around then it's worth a try, if not, then wait for price drops or sales.

Which Sony model would you recommend?

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 10
e345 is the warmest i've heard

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm currently happy with my $260 j3, i'm not prepared to spend more for a player with 1/4 of the battery life and no native support for lossless (according to the sony website), it is true that you can use other music players designed for android, but you also run the risk of it not being able to use the s master mx etc...

also my friend and i tried installing third party music players on his samsung sii, and they sound horrible compared to the original player, so i guess the point is that the software and hardware has to match to allow it to sound the best. I'm not saying rockbox won't sound good on the sony player, but it wasn't designed for the specific player, which means you run the risk of not using the player to its full potential.

Quote:
But now z1000 can play any files since it's Android and you can use any other soft, such as Rockbox, Poweramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back