best sounding headphones for under 100 bucks for at home DJing & production, and portable travel??
Oct 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cookiesureshot

truth speaker
What's up. I need some new headphones. I'm coming from 

Technics RP-DH1200

And old school pioneer DJ headphones.

I listen to and DJ mostly hiphop/funk/soul/jazz/drum n bass/house/techno/world. 

I'm wanting to know the communities opinion on the best sounding (portability is a plus) headphones....for around 100 bucks. 

Cord noise is a no no. longer cord is a plus.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! 

-Annette Musick

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 13
I know this question probably gets asked a lot, so if there's some other threads I should be reading, lemme kno. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 13
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is perfect for what you want.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 13
I agree with the M50 recommendations. Great cans.

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 13
It's not that great to be using the same headphones for production and DJ'ing. The levels in your mixes will be skewed opposite to your headphones and then you'll have to do twice as much EQing to bring the balance back.

Very few people on headfi ever bother with DJ headphones (nor do they need to; it's the wrong demographic here). For a bunch of DJ headphone reviews, try here: http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php
I have the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and think they are fantastic and well worth the $, but they are the most expensive set on the list. Really though, the most important thing a DJ needs in the long run is isolation to protect your long term hearing. For production work, get an industry standard like a Sony MDR V6 (older version of the 7506 which is identical except for being half the price) or an AKG K240. For DJ work, get some deep IEMs and a pair of ear muffs to fit over top. That'll give you a good 40 dB isolation and protect your ears. That's doable for $150, or $100 if you really bargain hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back