best sound card under $250? Also: PCI or PCI-Express?
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #46 of 91
Depends on how you look at it. You could always tap the signal and add another output on your own if you really liked a certain card. However, you have already found the card that suits your needs, Enjoy.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #47 of 91
Since this is the closest topic to my interests, I have a very similar question.

I'm considering these two soundcards, which are obviously liked here.

The Xonar Essence STX from Asus
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card - Sound Cards

And the HT Omega Claro
Newegg.com - HT OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Sound Cards

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700's that I will be using with either, and I want to eventually connect a speaker system to the card so I can watch movies.

Is a new model of the Essence coming out? Seems like Newegg isn't carrying it.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #48 of 91
I think the initial question was lost amids all auzentech versus asus hate talk...

Let me put things in the perspective:

The differences of a few dB dynamic range have massive importance but NOT once you get above 100dB because your speakers wont let you hear that anyway. Speakers (which actually produce sound as opposed to sound cards) have narrower range compared with sound cards.

In that perspective claims made regarding Xonar or other sound cards going above e.g. 110dB are mostly hype with no real life impact.

Xonars are not bad cards but they are NOT best for gaming. Auzentech X-Fi or in fact any other X-Fi is a much better option.

The initial question was about a sound card for gaming. Xonars mess up sounds and cause blue screens. Everybody knows it - except for Asus fanboys.

» Asus Xonar - List of games not compatible with DS3D-GX
Need help on left 4 dead and xonar dx
AnandTech - Asus Xonar D2X is NOT a gaming card
ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard Thread - Page 2 - Guru3D.com Forums (LOL at Robscix for showing love to Asus here as well
tongue_smile.gif
)

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the initial question was lost amids all auzentech versus asus hate talk...

Let me put things in the perspective:

The differences of a few dB dynamic range have massive importance but NOT once you get above 100dB because your speakers wont let you hear that anyway. Speakers (which actually produce sound as opposed to sound cards) have narrower range compared with sound cards.

In that perspective claims made regarding Xonar or other sound cards going above e.g. 110dB are mostly hype with no real life impact.

Xonars are not bad cards but they are NOT best for gaming. Auzentech X-Fi or in fact any other X-Fi is a much better option.

The initial question was about a sound card for gaming. Xonars mess up sounds and cause blue screens. Everybody knows it - except for Asus fanboys.

» Asus Xonar - List of games not compatible with DS3D-GX
Need help on left 4 dead and xonar dx
AnandTech - Asus Xonar D2X is NOT a gaming card
ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard Thread - Page 2 - Guru3D.com Forums (LOL at Robscix for showing love to Asus here as well
tongue_smile.gif
)

Am I ready for this:

Popcorn - CHECK
Sunglasses - CHECK
SPF 15 Sunscreen - CHECK
"Smoke on the Water" Playing in the Background - CHECK

I'm Ready!!

Go For it...

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #51 of 91
If I was only gaming with speakers, I would agree that the Auzentech X-Fi cards outclass the Xonars. Dolby headphone goes a long way for me in games though.

I have tasted the Prelude and it was sweet. If I had a receiver with Dolby Headphone built in I may have kept it.

Asid from the brilliance of Dolby Headphone, the X-Fi is just a much more user-friendly experience for gamers. Alchemy is pretty much set and forget. Beats remembering whether DS3D-GX should be on or off. EAX works pretty much all the time.

I think the potential is there for Xonars to be truly great gaming cards but they need to sort out the drivers.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was only gaming with speakers, I would agree that the Auzentech X-Fi cards outclass the Xonars. Dolby headphone goes a long way for me in games though.

I have tasted the Prelude and it was sweet. If I had a receiver with Dolby Headphone built in I may have kept it.

Asid from the brilliance of Dolby Headphone, the X-Fi is just a much more user-friendly experience for gamers. Alchemy is pretty much set and forget. Beats remembering whether DS3D-GX should be on or off. EAX works pretty much all the time.

I think the potential is there for Xonars to be truly great gaming cards but they need to sort out the drivers.

they're only what? a two year old product, against Creative's nearly two decades of market experience, they've done damned well in that time if you ask me

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #53 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey! I've got a 6pack and some lawn chairs, wanna watch toegether?
tongue.gif

Coors Light, I'm in!!

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #56 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the exact reason I got rid of a ESI Juli@ and bought that card. Looked at all the others mentioned here also. But the Digital IN/OUTs plus the Ability to do SPDIF Loopback to SPDIF and to Analog sold it for me.

I've got another question about the HT omega claro halo. I am definitly favouring this card but I wanted to know if this was possible. Is it possible to input a dolby digital live signal from an xbox 360 and then process the signal using dolby headphone so that i can get dolby headphone or dolby virtual surround through the headphone jack?

Also, any idea how the dac is on the halo XT? Currently, I use logitech z-5500s and I could use optical. However, I am not sure if the logitech's dac would be better than this soundcards.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got another question about the HT omega claro halo. I am definitly favouring this card but I wanted to know if this was possible. Is it possible to input a dolby digital live signal from an xbox 360 and then process the signal using dolby headphone so that i can get dolby headphone or dolby virtual surround through the headphone jack?

Also, any idea how the dac is on the halo XT? Currently, I use logitech z-5500s and I could use optical. However, I am not sure if the logitech's dac would be better than this soundcards.

Ratzilla
biggrin.gif

For some reason I smile when I see that
biggrin.gif

Ok, the Dolby stuff, I am no expert on that, heh, or anything else for that matter! But, the Halo does Dolby Digital Live which I believe is what you want to do, and it does this Virtually for the dedicated Headphone Jack. For some real fun, post that question to help@htomega.com and let's see how fast they answer it. Post your rsults here. Don't worry about it being Friday, that's some of the FUN here!

Have you read the Halo manual, suggest you do. When I was looking at about 10 SCs, I read every manual.

Your Logitech spkrs, well, if you send them Digital, do they do a conversion to analog? Or is the amp a digital amp to Digital Spkrs? I'm not familiar with them. If you send them analog, do they convert to Digital, which is what my Digital Monitors do. I would definitely find that out.

If you come out Digital from your SC, you are not using the SC DAC.

Hit us back, it's just now getting interesting, and post any shots of nuttless dogz you might have! I love those!

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #58 of 91
So HT Omega Claro or the Xonar STX for me? For mainly headphone use and eventually connecting speakers to it for a basic theater system.

The Xonar Essence STX from Asus
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card - Sound Cards

And the HT Omega Claro
Newegg.com - HT OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Sound Cards

Unless you guys have another option that fits what I need.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #59 of 91
Quote:

No, as far as I know that card doesn't have a digital decoder for the S/Pdif input only a digital encoder for output. There are a few Creative cards that have decoders on the digital inputs and possibly some others. To note, there are some "gamer" headphones out there that have Decoder modules that offer Dobly Headphone encoding built in. I have never tested any of these units, just mentioning they are out there.
Quote:

Off hand the DAC in the Halo XT is probably better then the unit in the Z-5500's but you would have to test and use your ears to verify.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ratzilla
biggrin.gif

For some reason I smile when I see that
biggrin.gif

Ok, the Dolby stuff, I am no expert on that, heh, or anything else for that matter! But, the Halo does Dolby Digital Live which I believe is what you want to do, and it does this Virtually for the dedicated Headphone Jack. For some real fun, post that question to help@htomega.com and let's see how fast they answer it. Post your rsults here. Don't worry about it being Friday, that's some of the FUN here!

Have you read the Halo manual, suggest you do. When I was looking at about 10 SCs, I read every manual.

Your Logitech spkrs, well, if you send them Digital, do they do a conversion to analog? Or is the amp a digital amp to Digital Spkrs? I'm not familiar with them. If you send them analog, do they convert to Digital, which is what my Digital Monitors do. I would definitely find that out.

If you come out Digital from your SC, you are not using the SC DAC.

Hit us back, it's just now getting interesting, and post any shots of nuttless dogz you might have! I love those!

I believe that when sending a digital signal to the speaker's console, they convert it to analog, amp it, and send it to the speakers. If it's sent analog, it will send the analog signal through the console to the amp, then to the speakers.

Thanks for the help!

Man, wanting good quality sound is expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back