best sound card under $250? Also: PCI or PCI-Express?
Mar 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I
Drivers. Creative drivers are bloatware crap. Read up on X-Fi crackling and disappearing problems with Creative do not acknowledge. Also the debacle with Creative disabling X-Fi features on Vista drivers, and a bloke who released own hacked drivers re-enabling those features.

Creative are scum. Take this from Creative owner going back to Soundblastter ISA 8 bit, I won't be buying another Creative card.

I'm just curious, and please don't take this as an invitation to flame, but if you disliked Creative with the Soundblaster 8b-ti, why keep purchasing? (or was it a later card that you had issues with? (I'm just curious, I remember my AWE32, and it was pretty AWEful (
tongue.gif
), I stayed away until the era of Audigy as a result))

and the whole Vista debacle I don't think is 100% fair to lay off on them, as nobody else in their competition fared any better (granted, they handled the PR end of it MUCH worse than they should've, and thats 100% their fault (most other companies probably would've offered the guy a job or at least bought the solution, not threatened to bury him with legal action
rolleyes.gif
))

I think it comes down to:
decent product, awful people abilities

sort of like an inverse of Bose if that analogy makes sense

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually in the same boat as the OP. I'm looking for a new sound card and I've had my eye on the HT omega claro halo, the Asus Xonar Essence STX and the auzentech forte.

Although the Asus Xonar might be better in terms of SQ, I'm leaning towards the Omega Claro Halo because it has optical in/out. I need/want optical because I have speakers that have digital input. Besides that, I really don't know anything else that will separate the 3 cards listed.

That's the exact reason I got rid of a ESI Juli@ and bought that card. Looked at all the others mentioned here also. But the Digital IN/OUTs plus the Ability to do SPDIF Loopback to SPDIF and to Analog sold it for me.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All your listed cards offer optical output aswell as Coax. The STX and the Forte offer optical outputs using a small plug in adapter that allow you to connect the fibre cable.
I tested the Forte and STX on digital studio reference monitors to look for glitches or drop outs and both offer perfect optical output. To note, The STX offers Dolby Digital Live only and the Forte 7.1 offer both Dolby Digital Live and DTS if those encoder routines are something your after.

Oly Halo would work for me. I needed to do Optical out and COAX out at the same time. I also needed access to the COAX headers to change them out to BNC. If Digital I/O's are your thing, and you need to Loop SPDIF IN/OUT. This card does it like none of the others I found.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #35 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
les, you actually found a digital source that met your laundry list of requirements? glad to hear it

Hey,
I looked and read all the manuals for ALL the Lynx and RME, and ESI offerings as well as the Vreative Pro stuff.

Here's what "IS" the "problem" with the pro cards. They are not made to do Multimedia PC type stuff like I want to do. They will not Loop their SPDIF IN/OUT. At first this amazed me, kinda still does really. But Pros don't ever do that I'm thinking.

Why would a Pro Bring COAX in and then send it COAX out. Or Optical IN to COAX out, etc. They are bringing in to software, using switchers, and mixers, etc. I need to bring in a Digital Signal and send it out on Two Digital Outs simultaneuosly.

This is a rare card that will do that. All the pro Cards I looked at would Loop the COAX to the Analog outs either.

They are amde to work with Mixing boards and ProTools.

I have Digital Studio Monitors and getting a REF1 Dac, so I needed the Dual outs. Additionally I needed to be able to get to the COAX headers easily to solder in a BNC connector from RCAs. I also needed all 4 SPDIF I/Os at my disposal. Optical IN/OUT and COAX IN/OUT. NO COMBO JACKS NEED APPLY.

And the Pièce de résistance, Vista 64 compatibility.

The Claro Halo did it all. Then it had a pretty nice Head amp, and socketed Input and Head amp Opamps. Also, you send them a Tech question, and they answer you 7 days a week and round the Clock, QUICK!

Well, I just have a big grin right now
biggrin.gif

Thanx for your help!

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #37 of 91
Quote:

glad you found a card that does everything you had listed out, as it was a pretty exhaustive list

I'm sure you thought I was nutz trying to meet that list of Reqs!

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

nah, its a pretty reasonable list of features, I just didn't think anything would satisfy it all after you ran into trouble with pro/prosumer cards

good to hear that thought was wrong

This my 2nd HT Omega card. When I decided to do Vista 64 a year ago, I ran Headfirst into a Creative Labs Driver issue wall. Their Tech support were Clueless Parrots. This was after the Onboard sound on an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe WiFi board had crackling issues and could not be used.

So then 3rd SC into the Vista issue, I tried the HT Omega Stryker.

They have Great Cards.

But one thing they do that is really nice is that the Tech guys seem to be always available. I send questions in on Sat or Sun nights and get answers within 12 hours. Where do you see that nowadays?

I can't imagine too many features that the Halo XT is missing(For Music). I use the Halo because I don't need the surround. I'm between DACs right now so will get to listen to the SC analog outs a little. See if the Card DAC and Opamps are any good.

Anyhow, happy ending. I would also recommend the Card to the OP.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oly Halo would work for me. I needed to do Optical out and COAX out at the same time. I also needed access to the COAX headers to change them out to BNC. If Digital I/O's are your thing, and you need to Loop SPDIF IN/OUT. This card does it like none of the others I found.

Those are unique needs and not found on every soundcard.
Great you found one that will fit the bill for what you want.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

Those are unique needs and not found on every soundcard.
Great you found one that will fit the bill for what you want.

Here is a need that is not unusual for this Forum.

2 SPDIF OUTs.

One for Digital Sokrs
One for External DAC

That narrows the field down quick.

ASUS STX failed because of Combo Jack SPDIF out.
Same with Onkyo If i remember correctly.

I'm not saying everybody "needs" two digital OUTs, but on these forums, I'll bet I'm not the only one, and that there are folks who find this out later the hard way. Or they don't need it at first and need it Later.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

2 SPDIF OUTs.

One for Digital Sokrs
One for External DAC

Or buy a DAC with pass through, Tag Mclaren DAC20 has it. So if I feed CDP-->DAC then SPDIF out from DAC to digital speakers, no need for soundcard with 2 digital outs. You will need the DAC to be switched on when using the speakers.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or buy a DAC with pass through, Tag Mclaren DAC20 has it. So if I feed CDP-->DAC then SPDIF out from DAC to digital speakers, no need for soundcard with 2 digital outs. You will need the DAC to be switched on when using the speakers.

Interesting you say that. I asked the manufacturer of my DAC about doing just that. He either won't do it for SQ reason, or has not thought of it yet. I may send him the Link to that DAC. My DAC is Audio-gd REF1.

I asked him about this because that is how my Spkrs. work. Each one has COAX IN/OUT. So I send COAX to SUB IN goes out to L, Goes out to R, all in a Daisey Chain. Spkrs are JBL LSR4328P + LSR4312SP Sub.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a need that is not unusual for this Forum.

2 SPDIF OUTs.

One for Digital Sokrs
One for External DAC

That narrows the field down quick.

ASUS STX failed because of Combo Jack SPDIF out.
Same with Onkyo If i remember correctly.

I'm not saying everybody "needs" two digital OUTs, but on these forums, I'll bet I'm not the only one, and that there are folks who find this out later the hard way. Or they don't need it at first and need it Later.

The combo jack for S/Pdif output is commonplace on many new soundcards.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 91
Quote:

The combo jack for S/Pdif output is commonplace on many new soundcards.

Yes, it's a shame...

I'm sure you can site other instances of Cheapness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back