best solder for DIY
Aug 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 26
^^ Agreed. Kester rosin core 63/37 is the easiest solder to work with that I have ever used. As long as you have a good connection I doubt very much there is any audible difference between solders. And it's much cheaper than the cardas stuff and much easier to find.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 26
I use "Wonder Solder" that I got from Michael Percy Audio - works well.  I think the percentages are a secret :)  - a wee bit cheaper than Cardas.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 26
I guess gold & silver has to be the best materials but it has to be extremely expensive

Not necessarily.

Soldering is about making the best possible physical joint. You need something with a good melting point and that flows well to make a permanent, physical connection.

Don't anthropomorphize materials with the magical thinking you often find in audio. People often assume that price plus jewelry-factor equals the best result. It doesn't work that way.

I use 60/40 from Kester or Radio Shack. Easy to work and makes excellent, shiny joints. 63/37 is good, too.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Not necessarily.

Soldering is about making the best possible physical joint. You need something with a good melting point and that flows well to make a permanent, physical connection.

Don't anthropomorphize materials with the magical thinking you often find in audio. People often assume that price plus jewelry-factor equals the best result. It doesn't work that way.

I use 60/40 from Kester or Radio Shack. Easy to work and makes excellent, shiny joints. 63/37 is good, too.

How long does one srynge of Kester 63/37 last? As a noob in DIY, I only used rolled up solder wire...

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 26
It depends on your project. More joints need more solder. Try not to put on too much. Just enough for it to wick around the leads and contact. You'll get the hang of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back