Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #7,607 of 7,916
Now using the Zenfone 3 with the 10 driver Heir Audio 10.0 (also the 8 driver InEar Prophile-8 was used here), I realize that this DAC and implementation are excellent. The Zenfone 3 has such a big soundstage compared for example with the Galaxy S3's Wolfson DAC and an high level of fidelity, detail, separation and bass. The bass response is fantastic and still you can hear the lowermost details. I also like the timbre, electric guitars sound realistic and true-to-life. I will have a FiiO X5-III soon just for the sake of comparison, since it's not accurate to give impressions without a comparison point and I also need  a DAP with superior amplification to drive 300 Ohm headphones. But by memory and comparing to all the DACs I've had (Cowon Plenue 1, Chord Mojo, etc), I think this is a pretty good DAC for a phone. Hope I'm not wrong, the X5-III will prove me wrong or right soon. I know it will be superior, I just want to know how much. But one thing is for sure, the zenfone 3 does not embarass with 1000€+ IEMs

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #7,610 of 7,916
No worries mate, manufacturers' role is to sell sell sell and ours is (supposedly) to buy buy buy.

And yet simple phones 10 years ago sounded great playing lo-def MP3s.

So is it just me or there is something wrong with this picture?

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #7,615 of 7,916
  Does the HTC 10 EVO uses the same DAC/AMP of the HTC 10? I can get it for 368€ with 20% discount :O

Saw this and thought it might help you decide...  Note: No headphone jack on the EVO... Need usb adapter to 3.5mm..

Copied from: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139543-htc-10-evo-vs-htc-10-what-s-the-difference

" The HTC 10 Evo has 2015's Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor, coupled with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage. MicroSD is supported up to 2TB and there is a 3200mAh battery on board too. 

The HTC 10 opts for this year's Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chip, 4GB of RAM and provides storage options of 32GB or 64GB. Both have expandable storage via microSD up to 2TB and Marshmallow's Flex storage is supported. There is a 3000mAh battery under the hood. 

Both the HTC 10 Evo and the HTC 10 offer Hi-Res Audio support. The HTC 10 Evo has HTC's BoomSound Adaptive Audio and comes with BoomSound Adaptive Audio Hi-Res earphones, while the HTC 10 has BoomSound Hi-Fi Edition, Dolby Audio and Hi-Res audio headphones. However, the HTC 10 Evo uses USB Type-C for its headphones, not 3.5mm.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #7,619 of 7,916

No its not the same chip, its HTC's own discrete DAC which works with the built in music player along with every streaming service.

As far as I understood the dac situation they are using the qualcom built in  dac's with their own codec and amp sections, so those would be two completely different dac's as one is sd 810 and the other is sd820?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back