Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #7,563 of 7,916
Me aswell, though in my case it's flac's got over 90gb on dektop and only 60gb on my phone that i listen to the most. Will have to go for a 512 gb card once they are out for reasonable prices.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #7,564 of 7,916
  Meizu Pro 6 Plus from amazon.fr (shouldn't had problem to order there)
Dual sim 
Better sound 
Great specs overall 

please be aware, Meizu Pro 6's audio actually is a downgrade from Meizu Pro 5.
Pro 5  -  dedicated amp circuit, 4 NXP transistors, ES9018K2M DAC and OPA1612 amp
Pro 6  -  CS43L36 decoding integrated amp chip
it cannot match the clarity and soundstage of the PRO 5

And for Pro 5,  please downgrade OS to 4.x.x       New versions (5.x.x, 6.x.x) has serious negative impact on sound quality:  narrow sound stage,  bad clarity,  boosted mid bass, ...
To get the best sound quality, need to do two things:
1. Downgrade OS to 4.x.x
2. root it and manually delete MusicFX.apk       (this is default equalizer, also worsen sound quality, even if you don't enable equalizer feature)
(root is simple, it is an integrated feature in the OS.  DO NOT use 3rd party tools to root it)

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #7,565 of 7,916

please be aware, Meizu Pro 6's audio actually is a downgrade from Meizu Pro 5.
Pro 5  -  dedicated amp circuit, 4 NXP transistors, ES9018K2M DAC and OPA1612 amp
Pro 6  -  CS43L36 decoding integrated amp chip
it cannot match the clarity and soundstage of the PRO 5

And for Pro 5,  please downgrade OS to 4.x.x       New versions (5.x.x, 6.x.x) has serious negative impact on sound quality:  narrow sound stage,  bad clarity,  boosted mid bass, ...
To get the best sound quality, need to do two things:
1. Downgrade OS to 4.x.x
2. root it and manually delete MusicFX.apk       (this is default equalizer, also worsen sound quality, even if you don't enable equalizer feature)
(root is simple, it is an integrated feature in the OS.  DO NOT use 3rd party tools to root it)

It's true that Meizu have too many models ... everyone is confusing them.
Meizu Pro 6 Plus have ES9018K2M + AD45275 OpAmp.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #7,566 of 7,916
  It's true that Meizu have too many models ... everyone is confusing them.
Meizu Pro 6 Plus have ES9018K2M + AD45275 OpAmp.

Yes I was talking about Pro 6 Plus, similar hardware to Pro 5 with newer Enyxos CPU.
BUT without the microSD card...
64Gb is far from enough even using MP3 files (130Gb library in MP3 format, 400Gb in FLAC format).

If people have decent 3/4G network everywhere they go, good for them, but streaming is still just a dream in many countries and I hate waiting.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #7,567 of 7,916
I got your point @tienbasse  had just clarified that the Pro 6 plus have a ES9018K2M dac because I was quoted 
and warned about a downgrade in sound quality by @yfei thinking I was talking about the Pro 6.
What a mess with those model damn and there are even a Pro 6 S.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #7,568 of 7,916
sorry for my mistake, didn't know Pro 6 Plus exists at all,      I thought their newest model is Pro 6, with MTK CPU.
Looks like Pro 6 Plus is a totally different animal,  much better CPU,  much better DAC.  should name it Pro 7.

I think Meizu made mistake on their OS upgrades,  newer 5.x.x.x and 6.x.x.x  decreased audio fidelity   by adding special dsp and filtering software.   These changes can make a $10 ear bud sound better,  but negative impact on good hi fi ear buds.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #7,573 of 7,916
About to test the Huawei P10 YAMAHA 24/192 DAC. Any interest?

Ciao Paulus,

I got the possibility to "test" it a couple of days ago and I wasn't even aware about the Yamaha DAC at all.

It seems to be one of the best overall options for me since I am based in Europe.

At the moment I kind of tested ( I have used the same 320k mp3 trying to bypass any present EQ) all my friends and colleagues smartphones and my top 5 will be like this:

1 Huawei P10
2 Xiaomi mi4w
3 Axon 7
4 Axon 7 mini
5 Xiaomi mi5

I own a a pair of Soundmagic E10C, so I'm not that kind of geek about hifi.

Well the P10 seems of another planet compared with the rest of the list. It's louder, more detailed and with a good sound stage.

Surprisingly the Xiaomi mi4w take the second place and its sound is a little better even than a brand new Axon 7 ( maybe I was unable to properly shut down the EQ in the Axon).

So they are just first impressions and nothing empirical but this is the feeling I got.

I hope this can help you a bit.

Ciao!

P. S. Maybe.. Ehehheh.. this is my first post so Thanks a lot everyone to contribute to this great thread.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #7,575 of 7,916
Ciao Paulus,

I got the possibility to "test" it a couple of days ago and I wasn't even aware about the Yamaha DAC at all.

It seems to be one of the best overall options for me since I am based in Europe.

At the moment I kind of tested ( I have used the same 320k mp3 trying to bypass any present EQ) all my friends and colleagues smartphones and my top 5 will be like this:

1 Huawei P10
2 Xiaomi mi4w
3 Axon 7
4 Axon 7 mini
5 Xiaomi mi5

I own a a pair of Soundmagic E10C, so I'm not that kind of geek about hifi.

Well the P10 seems of another planet compared with the rest of the list. It's louder, more detailed and with a good sound stage.

Surprisingly the Xiaomi mi4w take the second place and its sound is a little better even than a brand new Axon 7 ( maybe I was unable to properly shut down the EQ in the Axon).

So they are just first impressions and nothing empirical but this is the feeling I got.

I hope this can help you a bit.

Ciao!

P. S. Maybe.. Ehehheh.. this is my first post so Thanks a lot everyone to contribute to this great thread.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pocketnow are usually spot on with their Audio reviews, and they don`t have much good to say about the P10 in this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzEmOhfcSU

Audio Quality doesn`t seem to be much improved over the older Huawei phones, and those sounded pretty bad (Nexus 6p, Huawei p8, p9 etc). I have a P9 plus and the audio quality just sucks on this one. It`s weak, quiet and anemic and even with the low max volume they provide, one can already hear distortion. Huawei was never a good choice regarding audio quality, and it seems they still didn`t learn.
The Axon 7 should be much better (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTsg7EyYKFM), but you have to keep in mind that the EU version has much lower volume than the rest of the world. There is a fix for that somewhere on XDA though, if you are willing to root.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back