Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #7,501 of 7,916
People always pay premium for good reasons. Dont use this discrimination statement like they are only trying to protect their honor.

One day you will understand. We all have something in life we are willing to pay premium for.

V20 is ALSO a premium device with 700-800$ price depending upon place .

Question is ...whether that money is better paid for a better DAP or a device with BETTER audio ?

While comparing people often forget that ..

Like the 3rd person , here , said its very subjective ..

You should better ask yourself then ...with premium being paid what are you looking for ...the device or the audio ...

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #7,503 of 7,916
The way I see it this is mostly someone who does enjoy the V20 (nothing wrong with that) but lacks the experience with other daps to make such statements (hence trying to deflect the question). Also, it seems that the earphones/headphones that is owned typically won't benefit much (if at all) from higher end daps. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #7,504 of 7,916
Yup, deflection.

Earlier, it was attacks against the HTC 10, saying it was a horrible phone. I had the V10, until it developed problems, and since they don't sell it in my country, repair would be expensive. I also wanted something where I didn't have to "play games" to get better performance. My HTC 10 sounds great with my 64Audio U8's.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7,506 of 7,916
The way I see it this is mostly someone who does enjoy the V20 (nothing wrong with that) but lacks the experience with other daps to make such statements (hence trying to deflect the question). Also, it seems that the earphones/headphones that is owned typically won't benefit much (if at all) from higher end daps. 

I own fiio-x5 -iii and did compare v20 against dx90 , Sony ZX-100 , fiio X7 (which i dont own) ..fyi

And one other thing ..
I dont believe i gotta lose money to be able to say i "LOST" it..
Or write superfluous stuff in profile preference to PRETEND as a bigwig....

As I see it ...
People here dont like a different genre of vocal music than they are used to

I tried and compared and MADE POINTS regarding

"WHY v20 is what DAPs need/want to be"
Current gen. of spotify friendly android DAPs are perfect examples of that ..

"Why DAps arent there where V20 is now?"
Onkyo granbeat is perfect example of that ..

I lack much "hands-on-experience" ...agreed ...but as a x-gen tech savvy geek ...i am not much mistaken if the internet is thoroughly reviewed (threads forums youtube reviews ) for DAPs and a conclusion is attained from that experience that V20 is End-Game for Hifi DAPs
---------------------''
ESPECIALLY when the SAME conclusion is attained independently from reputed review sites....

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #7,507 of 7,916
I own fiio-x5 -iii and did compare v20 against dx90 , Sony ZX-100 , fiio X7 (which i dont own) ..fyi

And one other thing ..
I dont believe i gotta lose money to be able to say i "LOST" it..
Or write superfluous stuff in profile preference to PRETEND as a bigwig....

As I see it ...
People here dont like a different genre of vocal music than they are used to

I tried and compared and MADE POINTS regarding

"WHY v20 is what DAPs need/want to be"
Current gen. of spotify friendly android DAPs are perfect examples of that ..

"Why DAps arent there where V20 is now?"
Onkyo granbeat is perfect example of that ..

I lack much "hands-on-experience" ...agreed ...but as a x-gen tech savvy geek ...i am not much mistaken if the internet is thoroughly reviewed (threads forums youtube reviews ) for DAPs and a conclusion is attained from that experience
ESPECIALLY when the SAME conclusion is attained independently from reputed review sites....

Ok i think we got it :).

Which headphones/iems did you use ?

I have never heard the V20 so can't comment on it. For iems and easy to drive headphones i can't really hear a big difference between HTC10/V10 and Ibasso DX200 and Mojo(don't have the mojo anymore). That's not to say that there aren't any difference just that for my ears it's not so important. It's more about synergy and mood.

For more difficult to drive headphones i can clearly hear a difference. Both my Z1R and DT 1990 have more body and details with the DX200 than the HTC10/V10. Overall better coherency.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #7,508 of 7,916
Better move on and enjoy music in our own way.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #7,509 of 7,916
Granbeat uses 2 of 4 DACs inside V20 , and less powerful Amp section except for balanced output ..

V20 has more SNR and Better THD since its an integrated Chip ..and last but not the least uses an EXCELLENT upsamling of mp3s which most dedicated DAPs dont provide ..

Onkyo Granbeat is an attempt only (a fairly decent) to acheive where V20 already is ..

Rest is just the persuasive babbling of audio purists

Dude. If you haven't heard it.... It's just noise

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #7,510 of 7,916
Simply put.... Not everyone live in a big city and have easy access to audition all the phones they want before their purchases. I think many here read this thread to try to gain some valid info. Ears and perceptions to sounds and timbre already varies from ears to ears. This makes things somewhat confusing already-.-

Commenting without experience or giving pseudo-impressions here is wrong IMO. I think I've already commented on this before coz I got annoyed at the time and effort reading garbage,..but seriously, if you haven't heard something, don't comment. Find something better to do. Life can be quite colorful...

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #7,511 of 7,916
It's going to be nigh on impossible to compare all the devices as that would require having them all in the same place at the same time. There are at least a half dozen recent phones that are very good, and the real world sound differences between them are negligible. The Granbeat should sound fantastic as others do. At this point the other factors of the phone should come into play. LTE, storage, screen size, etc.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #7,513 of 7,916
It's going to be nigh on impossible to compare all the devices as that would require having them all in the same place at the same time. There are at least a half dozen recent phones that are very good, and the real world sound differences between them are negligible. The Granbeat should sound fantastic as others do. At this point the other factors of the phone should come into play. LTE, storage, screen size, etc.  

I agree most phones are decent.

In my opinion and only my opinion sound quality (providing the source has enough headroom and sufficient dynamics) is

30% recording quality of music
20% source (being generous)
50% transducer (hence my over harsh response to the merits of a certain mobile phone speaker)

Nothing scientific and variable with exceptions like a Chord Mojo which can have much greater influence with certain headphones, more lacklustre with others.

Feel free to disagree. There's certain people who would put the source whether it be a mobile, Walkman,dac amp or combination of at 80 or 90%. I think headphones or great music can deserve hype but maybe not so much 'hifi' mobile phones

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: overuse of ironic smiley faces

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #7,514 of 7,916
I agree most phones are decent.

In my opinion and only my opinion sound quality (providing the source has enough headroom and sufficient dynamics) is

30% recording quality of music
20% source (being generous)
50% transducer (hence my over harsh response to the merits of a certain mobile phone speaker)

Nothing scientific and variable with exceptions like a Chord Mojo which can have much greater influence with certain headphones, more lacklustre with others.

Feel free to disagree. There's certain people who would put the source whether it be a mobile, Walkman,dac amp or combination of at 80 or 90%. I think headphones or great music can deserve hype but maybe not so much 'hifi' mobile phones

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: overuse of ironic smiley faces

Agreed. Once upon a time the source was much more dependent. Nowadays, meh. Having a quality transducer is by far the most important, wether it be speakers or headphones.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,515 of 7,916
Hasn't this been the case with portable audio for a long time? Even when the sansa clip was considered a decent source at under $50, the rule was still to get the best earphone you could afford before thinking about anything else. I remember being really happy with the JH13 and the sansa clip as a simple portable rig. I'd put the earphone much higher than 50% but of course there's no magic percentage number before you should spend your money elsewhere.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back