Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,277 of 7,916
Basically don't worry too much about your phone it will be obsolete within 6-12 months and have a life span of 2 to 3 years so not worthy a huge investment.

Get a decent functional reliable well designed mobile with a good battery life. It is a phone first and foremost with a lot of other features including music playing. Most sound pretty decent at the end of the day, for what they are.

They can all be a source for pretty great sound with a decent USB DAC/ amp which will outlive any smartphone and serve you whatever phone you may 'upgrade' to in the future.

For example something like Moto E plus Cyrus SoundKey (tiny and light enough to disappear) will easily beat any stand alone phone (pretty confident with that statement). Yes even better than a Z3 Compact!!! :grinning:

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #7,278 of 7,916
Basically don't worry too much about your phone it will be obsolete within 6-12 months and have a life span of 2 to 3 years so not worthy a huge investment.

Get a decent functional reliable well designed mobile with a good battery life. It is a phone first and foremost with a lot of other features including music playing. Most sound pretty decent at the end of the day, for what they are.

They can all be a source for pretty great sound with a decent USB DAC/ amp which will outlive any smartphone and serve you whatever phone you may 'upgrade' to in the future.

For example something like Moto E plus Cyrus SoundKey (tiny and light enough to disappear) will easily beat any stand alone phone (pretty confident with that statement). Yes even better than a Z3 Compact!!! :grinning:

I always keep telling myself this truth. However every time greed wins and end up with new phone again and again :sob:.

Now that you mentioned, I just notice that my DAP life span before buying next one are even longer...

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #7,279 of 7,916
After much testing I'm really impressed with what EIZO-Rewire E & EIZO Rewire PRO can do to the sound. Have any of you guys gave it a try? 
smile_phones.gif

BTW, the Zenfone 3 ZE520KL is something that you guys should have a look at when considering sound quality and several other factors including camera. Have compared it to the Galaxy S3 with the Wolfson DAC and it's night and day difference in this case. Beats the Breeze Audio ES9018 DAC by quite a margin, but this is a $30 model. Pretty sure it beats the cheaper Hifime ES9018 too.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #7,280 of 7,916
I mean that the volume even at MAX isn't satisfying... And i want more.
It happened to me when I had LG V 10 and Sennheiser HD 518, for example.
I wanted the result loudly.

Most of the time low output Volume is software fault. Some phone coming with headphone DSP, in order to prevent clipping they reduce the max volume. Try PowerAmp and enable DVC (Direct Volume Control). If the problem fixed, it's software issue.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #7,281 of 7,916
Xplay 6 Review has been up'ed now. Please kindly take with grain of salt. However, I try to raise all facts and issues to provide your information for your consideration as possible.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/vivo-xplay-6/reviews/18330

By the way, after taking "various" things into consideration. I am reluctant to audition and review phone with DAPs  to prevent further... Y' know what I mean.
But I will compare it with some mid-fi DAP in my local facebook group instead. If you want to know my opinion, PM me individually. But for pubic review here, I hold on for now.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #7,283 of 7,916
Does the LeTV Le Max X900 support DSD?

1. If only playback, most phone can do with software decode.

2. If you ask about native playback decoded by hardware then. No. Native DSD is most of time implemented in mid fi and above DAP. Now I think vivo is leading in DSD area now. (Despite that sony invented this)

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #7,284 of 7,916
Out of curiosity, I bought z3 compact. After reading this thread of course.

First listen using stock player, I was underwhelmed. Sound so muddy, no soundstage at all. But it's ok for movie, so.. it's salvageable after all.

Then I gave it a try again, using VLC and Neutron, still no match vs AK100ii. But the sound, especially its warmth, grows on you :).

For hq listening, I still prefer my AK100ii and Shanling M1. But I can see this phone as main player for lower quality files and lossy streams (read: Apple Music). It sounds more engaging compared to my iPhone 6s. Sony beats apple on its service, shame on you Apple :rolling_eyes:.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #7,285 of 7,916

First listen using stock player, I was underwhelmed. Sound so muddy, no soundstage at all. But it's ok for movie, so.. it's salvageable after all.

Then I gave it a try again, using VLC and Neutron, still no match vs AK100ii. But the sound, especially its warmth, grows on you :).

For hq listening, I still prefer my AK100ii and Shanling M1. But I can see this phone as main player for lower quality files and lossy streams (read: Apple Music). It sounds more engaging compared to my iPhone 6s. Sony beats apple on its service, shame on you Apple :rolling_eyes:.

If next time you go for lg v20, the impression might be shifting.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #7,287 of 7,916

I assume you checked the sound settings on the Z3 on its native app. Generally best with them switched off. EDIT Sometimes Cleat Audio+ or Clear Bass can be fun:wink:

There are also hidden presets for various Sony earphones. If you used the NC31 noise cancelling earphones which sometimes come supplied for example it automatically switches to its EQ preset and remains selected until changed. These presets have very drastic affect on sound.

Can't think of any other reason why the Sony should sound muddy with no soundstage.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #7,288 of 7,916
I assume you checked the sound settings on the Z3 on its native app. Generally best with them switched off. EDIT Sometimes Cleat Audio+ or Clear Bass can be fun:wink:

There are also hidden presets for various Sony earphones. If you used the NC31 noise cancelling earphones which sometimes come supplied for example it automatically switches to its EQ preset and remains selected until changed. These presets have very drastic affect on sound.

Can't think of any other reason why the Sony should sound muddy with no soundstage.

Cuz they want users to buy their DAP.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #7,289 of 7,916

I've enough fun with my Ei.XX. Enabling Clear Audio makes the pairing too fun and hard to enjoy lol.

Naah, it's confirmed muddy to my ear. But i found out that muddiness cleared out in higher volume. In higher volume, yea, z3 considerably better vs iPhone; on par with fiio Q1.

I'm a low volume listener btw (only in ~50-60db).

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,290 of 7,916

Then I gave it a try again, using VLC and Neutron, still no match vs AK100ii. But the sound, especially its warmth, grows on you
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you think about a Shanling M1 vs an LG V10 or something like that in terms of sound quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back