Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #6,796 of 7,916
On the subject of the LG bootloop issue: the V20 does not appear to do it, or any recent LG phones.

Do you think they will allow it to happen again? I think they will test for it more thoroughly than anyone else now.

Put it another way: who is going to have the safest batteries in the industry now? Samsung I suspect.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #6,797 of 7,916

​I have the latest of everything installed on the LG V10 h960 for Nordic countries, and the bug I described is still present, but it is possible on occasion to get the full volume on third party apps, by starting the native media player first. However, most of the time, and sooner rather than later, there will be an automatic lowering of the volume as I described. But yes, third party media players are now invited to high end performance even if there is still this bug. I have notified LG about it.

The hifi everywhere fix stops this automatic lowering of volume, hence the problem is gone. So this app is indeed in demand.

jagwap, you have an interesting profile with what you do for a living. Do you present this work on a website somewhere?

I am the developer of SoundPimp, and audio enhancer for loudspeaker playback. It reduces acoustic crosstalk, and it will soon also be available on Android as integral part when the Radio Zapp is launched. www.soundpimp.com and www.zapp.one

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #6,799 of 7,916

Interesting info, I've never heard this before.
Did they publish any information on this? Now I am curious if any other devices also do this. I mean technically speaking it makes alot of sense.

Have to agree, i was thinking the axon 7 mini has something like that in it, since it glitched the audio output power a couple of times(also in the ak4962 spec the say it has Impedance Detection Function for Jacks/Headsets/Buttons/Headphones), last time it was at the worst moment possible and ruined my night with it. The difference is like 3 power levels.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #6,800 of 7,916
I live in Italy. I don't know about the sound quality, but the PPTV King is good enough I suppose.

In your original post you stated you needed something with a card slot but I can't think of any phones with a solid output with card slot other than the vibe x3 lite (no dedicated DAC but stated to be solid), I don't know if anyone else has any recommendations but if you up your budget some more you can get the Axon 7 Mini, most international phones that I have experience with they have dedicated DACs and are close to your budget but are a little older and no card slot....

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #6,801 of 7,916

Have to agree, i was thinking the axon 7 mini has something like that in it, since it glitched the audio output power a couple of times(also in the ak4962 spec the say it has Impedance Detection Function for Jacks/Headsets/Buttons/Headphones), last time it was at the worst moment possible and ruined my night with it. The difference is like 3 power levels.

Yea that wouldn't be surprising. I highly doubt its the only device that has it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #6,802 of 7,916
Hey guys, anybody have any experience with Huawe Mate 9 regarding sound quality? I want to get a big phone mostly for media consumption, but audio quality is a concern. I currently have an Honor 8 and while the headphone out is decent, it's still noticably worse than the DAC that I use at home, I previously owned a Vibe X3 and the SQ was perfect, so I want to get something that is not much worse.
Currently debating between Meizu pro 6+ and the Mate 9. The Meizu has a DAC and should sound great either way, but I really like the Mate 9. If the SQ is at least above average I would totally go for it, but I can't find much info about the sound from people with decent headphones.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6,803 of 7,916
Hey guys, anybody have any experience with Huawe Mate 9 regarding sound quality? I want to get a big phone mostly for media consumption, but audio quality is a concern. I currently have an Honor 8 and while the headphone out is decent, it's still noticably worse than the DAC that I use at home, I previously owned a Vibe X3 and the SQ was perfect, so I want to get something that is not much worse.
Currently debating between Meizu pro 6+ and the Mate 9. The Meizu has a DAC and should sound great either way, but I really like the Mate 9. If the SQ is at least above average I would totally go for it, but I can't find much info about the sound from people with decent headphones.

I was thinking the same thing but the reviews I read have not been very good.

Shane D

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #6,804 of 7,916
  about the bootloop issue...it seems the soc heat dissipation on v20 is not great, die temperature easily hits 80' celsius under load in seconds.

tested this on several different 820/821 devices later, that temperature is normal. hence the heat dissipation on v20 is normal.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #6,805 of 7,916
In your original post you stated you needed something with a card slot but I can't think of any phones with a solid output with card slot other than the vibe x3 lite (no dedicated DAC but stated to be solid), I don't know if anyone else has any recommendations but if you up your budget some more you can get the Axon 7 Mini, most international phones that I have experience with they have dedicated DACs and are close to your budget but are a little older and no card slot....

Yes you're right I want the card slot. I'm looking through the axon 7 mini right now. Any other input?
Thanks

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #6,806 of 7,916
are difference levels weighted in the audible band? have you tried run those tests on newer playback devices, or with higher performance recording interface?

btw, for android phones, since most of them have the SRC problem, it would be nicer if the 16/48 format is also tested
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #6,807 of 7,916

are difference levels weighted in the audible band?

no, Df is computed using input and output waveforms in time domain.

have you tried run those tests on newer playback devices, or with higher performance recording interface?  

All devices tested are on the page; they come from my friends; no budget for buying newer ones, sorry.
Better recording interface could improve accuracy but the current one is quite sufficient for headphones' outputs of portable devices.

btw, for android phones, since most of them have the SRC problem, it would be nicer if the 16/48 format is also tested 
biggrin.gif

Still most of recorded music is in 44/16, so the test is close to real-life.
BTW, Boost 3 has no resampling issue (custom audio path).

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #6,809 of 7,916
Kinda reminds me of the sound test graphs in devicespecifications.com reviews, all look alike and don't give a clue how good or bad or average real life performance of audio circuit is going to be like.

They sure look cool on that devicespecifications.com webpage though.

Just my 2c.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #6,810 of 7,916
  no, Df is computed using input and output waveforms in time domain.

All devices tested are on the page; they come from my friends; no budget for buying newer ones, sorry.
Better recording interface could improve accuracy but the current one is quite sufficient for headphones' outputs of portable devices.

Still most of recorded music is in 44/16, so the test is close to real-life.
BTW, Boost 3 has no resampling issue (custom audio path).

Interesting test.

What is interesting is that they are so similar. 

Have you done a quick check with and without the 33 ohm resistors? If there is a big reduction of the difference every time, the load may be showing up something in the test jig.  I would expect the loading to change the result due to crosstalk and loading of the amplifier, but it may be the test configuration may be limiting the best number available.

More likely is that as the 1kHz signal is often good, it is the frequency extremes that are showing the difference.  A small difference in bandwidth would cause a phase shift.  This would cause white noise and program noise to be much worse.

(By the way, the Pink Floyd Discovery Editions are not great.  Compressed compared to the originals.  Animals and Final cut  are particularly bad. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=pink+floyd&album= )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back