Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #6,605 of 7,916
X900 buying guide ? What does that mean ?

Most sellers root the phone and place a multi-language ROM on the phone so basically you can't get updates, so when ordering especially from AliExpress read the description and most sellers will state that if you want the original LeEco software to send a message while ordering, you can revert back to the original from the modded software fairly easily but easier to just get original software from the start.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #6,606 of 7,916
Most sellers root the phone and place a multi-language ROM on the phone so basically you can't get updates, so when ordering especially from AliExpress read the description and most sellers will state that if you want the original LeEco software to send a message while ordering, you can revert back to the original from the modded software fairly easily but easier to just get original software from the start.

Didn't know that. I will certainly do that while ordering it from aliexpress. Can you share some links of good seller which are trustworthy ?

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #6,607 of 7,916
Didn't know that. I will certainly do that while ordering it from aliexpress. Can you share some links of good seller which are trustworthy ?

Honestly it's hard to recommend a seller because I just read the description carefully, the reviews from other buyers and the seller's policies, a lot of sellers are trying to gain reputation so they are leaning more towards taking care of the customers now, I saw a few Le Max on there that looks like carriers devices it has another name stamped above the "LeTv" logo so just watch out for those, message the seller first and make sure you can get one that's not rooted etc. and even then include a message with your order stating you want unopened box with untouched software, track your package often and check the seller's policy on damaged packages during shipping, other than that you should be good to go :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #6,608 of 7,916
Yes there is. Try google it.

So I googled it and read reviews and I found nothing that suggested that it actually has a DAC. It seems its some sort of supporting chip to just filter sound from the internal DAC.
As testing it with the iPad's yeilded totally different results from the iPhone.
But all that was actually shown is that the adapter actually has worse output than the iPhone 6S/6 and the 6S/7 have the exact same DAC internally.

I surely don't see that device being better than the HTC 10, and from its graphs, it doesn't even come close.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,609 of 7,916
So I googled it and read reviews and I found nothing that suggested that it actually has a DAC. It seems its some sort of supporting chip to just filter sound from the internal DAC.

As testing it with the iPad's yeilded totally different results from the iPhone.
But all that was actually shown is that the adapter actually has worse output than the iPhone 6S/6 and the 6S/7 have the exact same DAC internally.

I surely don't see that device being better than the HTC 10, and from its graphs, it doesn't even come close.

Here you go sir: http://ifixit.org/blog/8448/apple-audio-adapter-teardown/

Also I believe you are right it does not beat the HTC 10 in overall quality and output, but between the 6s and 7 I doubt you will be able to hear the so called worse sound quality, it shows up in measurements sure but I find the 7 plus to have really good sound just like the 6s plus but that's just me.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #6,611 of 7,916
Here you go sir: http://ifixit.org/blog/8448/apple-audio-adapter-teardown/

Also I believe you are right it does not beat the HTC 10 in overall quality and output, but between the 6s and 7 I doubt you will be able to hear the so called worse sound quality, it shows up in measurements sure but I find the 7 plus to have really good sound just like the 6s plus but that's just me.

Wehn you check the ifixit teardown you just find that there is an unknown IC in there, not that it is a DAC chip.
Tests done by a german site aswell as another audio site (innerfidelity I think) show that the headphone adapters output is the same as the phone but with more disortion and a bit less THD & higher jitter  When plugged into the iPhone 6S and 7 the results are virtually identical (same internal DAC) and the when plugged into the iPad Air the results are closer to that of the iPad Air (totally different DAC with alot higher headphone output aswell).

This suggest that its not actually a DAC but rather some other chip which interfaces with the DAC or receives some sort of analog passthrough, nobody is really sure and Apple hasn't made any comment on it. But if it was a DAC itself then it would have uniform output no matter which devices its plugged into, not results that are very similar to that devices original headphone jack output just slightly lower (probably due to the power consumption of the dongle itself).

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #6,612 of 7,916
Wehn you check the ifixit teardown you just find that there is an unknown IC in there, not that it is a DAC chip.
Tests done by a german site aswell as another audio site (innerfidelity I think) show that the headphone adapters output is the same as the phone but with more disortion and a bit less THD & higher jitter  When plugged into the iPhone 6S and 7 the results are virtually identical (same internal DAC) and the when plugged into the iPad Air the results are closer to that of the iPad Air (totally different DAC with alot higher headphone output aswell).

This suggest that its not actually a DAC but rather some other chip which interfaces with the DAC or receives some sort of analog passthrough, nobody is really sure and Apple hasn't made any comment on it. But if it was a DAC itself then it would have uniform output no matter which devices its plugged into, not results that are very similar to that devices original headphone jack output just slightly lower (probably due to the power consumption of the dongle itself).

Hmmm..... well teardowns have found no DAC in the phone and for sure my headphones don't have one so idk Apple kinda lost my interest years ago, either way it's not as bad as measurements suggest I just can't stand the whole dongle thing, when my coworker steals my Axon for a listen and I grab her 7 plus I gotta ask her for the dongle and sometimes she forgets it at home....sucks

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #6,614 of 7,916

Well, after few hours of listening to it I must say i am impressed, I would even say that I like it more than V10, much more. for me V10 was always too analytical and boring (short description) Me Pro manages to provide almost same amount of details and sound stage, but at the same time it sounds so "alive" a bit on warmish side with a fun sound and a tight bass, but as any of smartphones I tested until now it still lacks in power department, meaning that its amp section is not powerful enough for me. iems I used for few hours were Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4 , Fidelio S2 and Sennheiser Ie80

When I have a time I will test it with an external amp

cheers 

Yep, that's probably the EU regulations putting a software limit to volume. My Axon 7 basically goes as high as I need, but not more. With US firmware I've heard it can go crazy loud.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #6,615 of 7,916
  Yep, that's probably the EU regulations putting a software limit to volume. My Axon 7 basically goes as high as I need, but not more. With US firmware I've heard it can go crazy loud.

Correct it is a Eu law/regulation with intention of protecting our hearing. In my opinion the dumbest law ever, I can chose for myself how loud I want to listen. That said never around 75% is perfect volume level for me, but still options are always better, not sure how it handles headphones that are harder to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back