Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #6,241 of 7,916
  not true!  With technical equipment major difference.  

Have to agree the difference is pretty big, even on my axon 7 mini paired with soundmagic e80 I can immediately tell the difference between the flacs I ripped and mp3's I ripped.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #6,242 of 7,916
Hey my x900 arrived and I'm really enjoying the SQ with headphones, everything is so clear.

However, I am having an issue with the phone's speaker. When listening at low volumes it is most evident, but there is a constant hissing sound when music is being played or videos being watched. For example, on minimum volume, when listening to Ludovico Einaudi's "I Giorni", the constant hiss is more noticeable than the actual music itself.

Also, when a youtuber is talking on YouTube, there is noise and hissing while they talk.

I am not sure what to do, or if this is something that will just pass with time

EDIT:I guess it's also worth noting that unless I put my ear directly to the speaker, it isn't too noticeable, which explains why it's most noticeable at minimum volume (because I need to put my ear right next to the speaker)

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #6,243 of 7,916
Hey my x900 arrived and I'm really enjoying the SQ with headphones, everything is so clear.

However, I am having an issue with the phone's speaker. When listening at low volumes it is most evident, but there is a constant hissing sound when music is being played or videos being watched. For example, on minimum volume, when listening to Ludovico Einaudi's "I Giorni", the constant hiss is more noticeable than the actual music itself.

Also, when a youtuber is talking on YouTube, there is noise and hissing while they talk.

I am not sure what to do, or if this is something that will just pass with time

EDIT:I guess it's also worth noting that unless I put my ear directly to the speaker, it isn't too noticeable, which explains why it's most noticeable at minimum volume (because I need to put my ear right next to the speaker)

Same to all x900.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #6,245 of 7,916
Well now you have met someone who can distinguish the difference so you can't say that anymore :).  

I don't know what  sources you have used.  However, go to the Audio Technica ath-e70 or westone w80 or um pro 50 thread and ask if they really can tell a difference between mp3 and flac.  Especially with the Audio Technica ath-e70 as it's used for studio mixing and mastering and musicians.  It's a very technical IEM.  

There's a night and day difference between mp3 and flac with the ath-e70.  The difference is very apparent as it relates to the high frequencies and also the bass.

As I'm writing this I'm noticing that statement is wrong for so many reasons!  First is compression.  With any form of data science whether your talking about music data or website analytics data.  Here's why:
  1. it's always best practice to keep a copy of the data in it's original form because once you alter the data you can't get it back.
  2. One can't say they sound the same simply because we don't know which compression algorithm was used...
  3. I know a lot of algoritms compress the hi frequencies because mp3 tends to be bottom heavy.  But one wouldn't notice without the right equipment.

I had my 17 year old God son in the car who can tell the difference between Google Music and and Tidal Hifi.

Also, go to anyone who owns a Lg v20 they should be able to tell the difference as well because it's an analytical source given they have high end iems.

I would recommend this combo for testing lg v20 and ath-e70.  Not trying to be funny, but if you tell me you can't hear the difference with that setup I would say it may be time for a visit to the audiologist.  

Edit:

That was the first thing I noticed with the Axon 7 was that it was bottom heavy and lacked the treble extension.  So on a device like that, it may be hard to tell the difference because the frequencies aren't there.  imho

I have to suggest you go to sound science forum, especially this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/570621/flac-vs-320-mp3/195

This topic has been beaten to death thousands times, and yet nobody could give proof or showed their ABX test to indicate their claims. None. Nada. Nothing. All they have is "I have quality rigs, and I'm able to". You're no different to those, hence I suggest you'll be more in necessary of visiting need audiologists so that you can retrieve their approval of your Golden Ears status.

FLACs are good for archiving. MP3s, 320 CBR and V0, are as good as FLACs for playing.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #6,247 of 7,916
I have to suggest you go to sound science forum, especially this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/570621/flac-vs-320-mp3/195

This topic has been beaten to death thousands times, and yet nobody could give proof or showed their ABX test to indicate their claims. None. Nada. Nothing. All they have is "I have quality rigs, and I'm able to". You're no different to those, hence I suggest you'll be more in necessary of visiting need audiologists so that you can retrieve their approval of your Golden Ears status.

FLACs are good for archiving. MP3s, 320 CBR and V0, are as good as FLACs for playing.
Hilarious. I'm a pseudo audiophile at best. 16-bit wav is my minimum. All my non golden ear friends can tell the difference. Even out of a galaxy s5 speaker (not my phone, mine's m8). My favourite rig is a Fugoo xl. Just saying :blush:

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #6,248 of 7,916
Damn, really? I thought this would have been mentioned given this is meant to be one of the best phones for audio, but I suppose it is a very rare scenario to use the phone's speaker anyway.

Do you know what exactly the issue is then?
Thanks for replying

I just notice after you say as well. normally, I just open loud speaker.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #6,249 of 7,916
Hey everyone, my HTC M8 just crapped out so I'm in the market for a new phone. Depressingly, my Cowon Plenue D player also died a couple of weeks back. I'm in the midst of a technology curse it seems!

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a handle on what has been happening in the phone as audio player scene over the past couple of years. I primarily use 80ohm Beyer DT250's and the HTC M8 really didn't match up to a player like the Plenue D (or even Cowon J3). Before that I had an Xperia Z1 phone and that really didn't cut it either. 

Are there any phones out there that can actually measure up to something like the Plenue D? I'd love to have an all in one device.

Any input would be appreciated!

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #6,250 of 7,916
Hey everyone, my HTC M8 just crapped out so I'm in the market for a new phone. Depressingly, my Cowon Plenue D player also died a couple of weeks back. I'm in the midst of a technology curse it seems!

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a handle on what has been happening in the phone as audio player scene over the past couple of years. I primarily use 80ohm Beyer DT250's and the HTC M8 really didn't match up to a player like the Plenue D (or even Cowon J3). Before that I had an Xperia Z1 phone and that really didn't cut it either. 

Are there any phones out there that can actually measure up to something like the Plenue D? I'd love to have an all in one device.

Any input would be appreciated!

LG V20

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #6,252 of 7,916
Ah yes, no worries. By open loud speaker, are you referring to calls? Otherwise I don't know what you mean

I mean I normally volume up speaker high.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #6,255 of 7,916
I mean I normally volume up speaker high.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.
I've gotten over it, as I've realized that I'll never have the speaker right up to my ear when watching a video or anything, and listening at higher volumes it's pretty hard to hear, so it's pretty much not noticeable. Thanks for confirming at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back