Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #6,062 of 7,916
Yes its call the LeTv Le 1 Pro and it does have a dedicated DAC and there's a list floating around with the audio specs a couple pages back, I don't have experience with the z3 unfortunately so I can't make that comparison, there's a LeTv Le Max x900 which has a fingerprint scanner and reported to have slightly better sq and a little louder than the x800 but the screen is 6.33 inches also bear in mind you can get them in 32gb,64gb or 128gb and as for the HTC 10 you can get a general idea here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/807570/review-on-htc-10-and-sound-quality-aqstic-dedicated-integrated-dac

Ah yeah, thanks for that.

While the better camera, addition of a fingerprint scanner and better SQ are most welcome additions, that 6.33" screen will be hard to live with. The largest I am willing to go is is probably a 5.7" and only then if it has at least a 75% screen to body ratio for that size. I will give it some thought, but in the end I'll have to weigh up the options, does a bigger screen outweigh the difference in camera, SQ and the lack of FPS?

I'll give it some thought. Do you think I'll be able to hear the difference between the two Letv phones with my heaphones?

I have Sennheiser HD 439 headphones, and some who knows what they're called "custom made dual unit dynamic hifi" earphones from aliexpress (they sound great though)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-DIY-UE-Custom-Made-Around-Ear-Earphone-Dual-Unit-In-Ear-Dynamic-HIFI-Earbuds/32640320497.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.rrGx6n

This is the link, if a link is not allowed feel free to remove it (please don't ban me)

I also have the KZ ED9 earphones from aliexpress. While they actually have a name, I prefer the other ones.

Would you recommend me buying a better pair of earphones/headphones? Would I need better to even be able to tell the difference in SQ between the x800, x900 and HTC 10?

If so, what heaphones or earphones would you recommend? For headphones, I would not want to go over $150AUD, for earphones, under $120AUD.

Thanks again for  your help

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #6,063 of 7,916

that 6.33" screen will be hard to live with. The largest I am willing to go is is probably a 5.7" and only then if it has at least a 75% screen to body ratio for that size.

actually, i found that 6.33 screen quite useful, reading on it is easier than 5.7. it's the only thing i miss after switching from x900 to v20.

beware that althrough x900 has a great screen, x800's screen isn't that good, it basically sacrificed everything to get 2k resolution on 5.5.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #6,064 of 7,916
actually, i found that 6.33 screen quite useful, reading on it is easier than 5.7. it's the only thing i miss after switching from x900 to v20.

beware that althrough x900 has a great screen, x800's screen isn't that good, it basically sacrificed everything to get 2k resolution on 5.5.

****** me. Get yersen a tablet or a telly!

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #6,065 of 7,916
Gigaset ME and ME Pro can be had at very decent prices these days. I'm tempted but I haven't seen any reviews on sound quality. Anyone knows how well they succeeded when implementing the dac and op-amp?

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #6,067 of 7,916
Ah yeah, thanks for that.

While the better camera, addition of a fingerprint scanner and better SQ are most welcome additions, that 6.33" screen will be hard to live with. The largest I am willing to go is is probably a 5.7" and only then if it has at least a 75% screen to body ratio for that size. I will give it some thought, but in the end I'll have to weigh up the options, does a bigger screen outweigh the difference in camera, SQ and the lack of FPS?

I'll give it some thought. Do you think I'll be able to hear the difference between the two Letv phones with my heaphones?

I have Sennheiser HD 439 headphones, and some who knows what they're called "custom made dual unit dynamic hifi" earphones from aliexpress (they sound great though)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-DIY-UE-Custom-Made-Around-Ear-Earphone-Dual-Unit-In-Ear-Dynamic-HIFI-Earbuds/32640320497.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.rrGx6n

This is the link, if a link is not allowed feel free to remove it (please don't ban me)

I also have the KZ ED9 earphones from aliexpress. While they actually have a name, I prefer the other ones.

Would you recommend me buying a better pair of earphones/headphones? Would I need better to even be able to tell the difference in SQ between the x800, x900 and HTC 10?

If so, what heaphones or earphones would you recommend? For headphones, I would not want to go over $150AUD, for earphones, under $120AUD.

Thanks again for  your help

No problem at all, I would say get the phone first then decide if you need new headphones later, the x800 and x900 do indeed sound different according to those who own or have owned both at the same time maybe beçause the x900 has tuning by AKG to get the best out of the chipset, you will definitely hear a difference between the HTC 10 and either of the LeTV phones and while sound is subjective I thought my x800 sounded better in terms of pulling details out of the recording and soundstage....but again the HTC is no slouch, if you are ever looking for open back headphones try out the Philips sph9500 regarded as giant killers but bear in mind open back requires a little more power because of the driver design and have less bass, they are more designed for personal listening at home or at the office but I use mine at work no prob, closed back like your HD439 require less volume to sound more personal but give more volume to a pair of open back and the sound is way more natural and airy , my Philips are slowly sounding better everyday but out of the box they were louder and more full sounding than Grado SR80 at less volume and way more comfortable....these things are so comfortable, Samson sr850 semi open another pair of awesome headphones and even tho treble is boosted on them they sound musical with ridiculous soundstage and more bass than the Philips, any more questions don't hesitate to ask I will answer to the best of my ability,I just got a loaner v10 so I'm off to audition it for an hour or so lol

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #6,068 of 7,916

Thanks for this information, this is definitely going to impact my decision. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was sacrificed in the 5.5" screen? Was it viewing angles, % colour gamut, etc?

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #6,069 of 7,916
No problem at all, I would say get the phone first then decide if you need new headphones later, the x800 and x900 do indeed sound different according to those who own or have owned both at the same time maybe beçause the x900 has tuning by AKG to get the best out of the chipset, you will definitely hear a difference between the HTC 10 and either of the LeTV phones and while sound is subjective I thought my x800 sounded better in terms of pulling details out of the recording and soundstage....but again the HTC is no slouch, if you are ever looking for open back headphones try out the Philips sph9500 regarded as giant killers but bear in mind open back requires a little more power because of the driver design and have less bass, they are more designed for personal listening at home or at the office but I use mine at work no prob, closed back like your HD439 require less volume to sound more personal but give more volume to a pair of open back and the sound is way more natural and airy , my Philips are slowly sounding better everyday but out of the box they were louder and more full sounding than Grado SR80 at less volume and way more comfortable....these things are so comfortable, Samson sr850 semi open another pair of awesome headphones and even tho treble is boosted on them they sound musical with ridiculous soundstage and more bass than the Philips, any more questions don't hesitate to ask I will answer to the best of my ability,I just got a loaner v10 so I'm off to audition it for an hour or so lol

I have found the x900 for $290AUD (and $270AUD for the x800 64GB), best price I could find for the 64GB model (128GB model I found for $350AUD), now to decide whether the increased price for a more powerful processor is worth it for the HTC 10 (450AUD by the time it gets mail forwarded). 

Thanks for the headphone recommendations, would you know how either compare to the AKG M220 which I seem to see all the time on massdrop? 

I won't be getting them, but do you know how the audio is affected in the LeEco phones without the 3.5mm headphone jack? They claim it's better through the type c port, but I'm thinking that the adaptor provided for 3.5mm headphone jacks will be the weakest link in the audio which would hinder the SQ. Just curious, this doesn't really need to be answered haha.

Thanks 

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #6,070 of 7,916
I have found the x900 for $290AUD (and $270AUD for the x800 64GB), best price I could find for the 64GB model (128GB model I found for $350AUD), now to decide whether the increased price for a more powerful processor is worth it for the HTC 10 (450AUD by the time it gets mail forwarded). 

Thanks for the headphone recommendations, would you know how either compare to the AKG M220 which I seem to see all the time on massdrop? 

I won't be getting them, but do you know how the audio is affected in the LeEco phones without the 3.5mm headphone jack? They claim it's better through the type c port, but I'm thinking that the adaptor provided for 3.5mm headphone jacks will be the weakest link in the audio which would hinder the SQ. Just curious, this doesn't really need to be answered haha.

Thanks 

The SD820 processor used I the HTC is better than the SD810 not only in performance but efficiency and heat especially if you game, if you were happy with the sq on the oneplus2 I think the HTC 10 would be more than enough and also a better as a overall package.... camera, card slot and will probably get updated to more future Android versions then one day if you feel the itch to play with something else you can grab one of the LeTV devices or even something else especially if next year's flagships are not that great and the LeTv devices might be cheaper next year,I got my x800 because I had to give up my HTC 10 which I was enjoying and I found this thread so I decided to try it and it's still holding up, the only reason I might get a x900 is for updates (I get none on my US x800) and the mentioned increase in audio quality, if you want a good device with a dedicated DAC that might hold you over until you decide to get a flagship with good sq next year or year after then go with the x900 or x800 but be aware of the heating issues with the SD810 if you play games a lot or you are a heavy user, the AKG 220 is semi open and though 50ohms they are reported to need more power to be at their best than most other 50ohm headphones...the Philips are 32ohm and at 85 percent volume on the x800 they are very loud and full and if you close your eyes it's like there are speakers in the room, check the respective threads on headfi to get an idea how both perform and comparisons:). Hello eio have you ever tested the HTC 10 ? If so could you compare to the mentioned LeTv devices?

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #6,071 of 7,916
The SD820 processor used I the HTC is better than the SD810 not only in performance but efficiency and heat especially if you game, if you were happy with the sq on the oneplus2 I think the HTC 10 would be more than enough and also a better as a overall package.... camera, card slot and will probably get updated to more future Android versions then one day if you feel the itch to play with something else you can grab one of the LeTV devices or even something else especially if next year's flagships are not that great and the LeTv devices might be cheaper next year,I got my x800 because I had to give up my HTC 10 which I was enjoying and I found this thread so I decided to try it and it's still holding up, the only reason I might get a x900 is for updates (I get none on my US x800) and the mentioned increase in audio quality, if you want a good device with a dedicated DAC that might hold you over until you decide to get a flagship with good sq next year or year after then go with the x900 or x800 but be aware of the heating issues with the SD810 if you play games a lot or you are a heavy user, the AKG 220 is semi open and though 50ohms they are reported to need more power to be at their best than most other 50ohm headphones...the Philips are 32ohm and at 85 percent volume on the x800 they are very loud and full and if you close your eyes it's like there are speakers in the room, check the respective threads on headfi to get an idea how both perform and comparisons:). Hello @eio have you ever tested the HTC 10 ? If so could you compare to the mentioned LeTv devices?

Ah yes I am fully aware of the significant increase in performance from the SD 810 and SD 820. From my knowledge though, at least in my experience, the issues with the SD 810 overheating were solved. A developer figured out that by tweaking the thermal profile (which tells the phone what to do as the temperature changes) and allowing the brightness to throttle slightly, along with other optimisations, the SD 810 actually ran much cooler than Samsung's Exynos chip of the Galaxy S6 that same year. I also believe an update to the HTC One M9 at the very least helped the situation, but I cannot confirm this as I do not own one.

Anyway, as you currently have an x800 and are warning me of the overheating with the SD 810, I assume the issue still persists in that phone, sadly.

I really desperately need a new phone (my current phone should not have been legal to sell, 4GB storage with less than 2GB free due to the OS, and 512MB ram but due to some issue only has 3MB free at any given time, and the phone takes a legitimate full 1 minute for the google play store to fully open and load), but don't really want to spend too much. The HTC 10 would have been completely out of the question, but finding it for that price is just a steal. I still need to consider everything, and I'll do some more research, but I may just get the x900. Thanks again

I'll see, but for now, I'm off to celebrate Christmas :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #6,072 of 7,916
Ah yes I am fully aware of the significant increase in performance from the SD 810 and SD 820. From my knowledge though, at least in my experience, the issues with the SD 810 overheating were solved. A developer figured out that by tweaking the thermal profile (which tells the phone what to do as the temperature changes) and allowing the brightness to throttle slightly, along with other optimisations, the SD 810 actually ran much cooler than Samsung's Exynos chip of the Galaxy S6 that same year. I also believe an update to the HTC One M9 at the very least helped the situation, but I cannot confirm this as I do not own one.

Anyway, as you currently have an x800 and are warning me of the overheating with the SD 810, I assume the issue still persists in that phone, sadly.

I really desperately need a new phone (my current phone should not have been legal to sell, 4GB storage with less than 2GB free due to the OS, and 512MB ram but due to some issue only has 3MB free at any given time, and the phone takes a legitimate full 1 minute for the google play store to fully open and load), but don't really want to spend too much. The HTC 10 would have been completely out of the question, but finding it for that price is just a steal. I still need to consider everything, and I'll do some more research, but I may just get the x900. Thanks again

I'll see, but for now, I'm off to celebrate Christmas :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Please bear in mind my phone is aluminum it only gets warm when I push it (I don't game), it's better than the m9 which slowed to a crawl when I had it and I haven't gotten any of the newer updates which might have improved the thermals etc. Enjoy your Christmas and thank you for the best wishes!

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #6,074 of 7,916
  Thanks for this information, this is definitely going to impact my decision. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was sacrificed in the 5.5" screen? Was it viewing angles, % colour gamut, etc?

uniformity, mura, gamut, whitepoint consistancy, brightness...

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #6,075 of 7,916
Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for ALL the info people keep posting!

I have given up on a phone, for now. But I can't stop checking this thread every day, multiple times, looking to learn new facts. Or even educated opinions.☺☺

Shane D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back