Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6,047 of 7,916
FYI HTC 10 international version on Amazon for $286 customers said that its brand new, QUALCOMM​ audio but sounds good imo and the specs are great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EADD18A?m=A6LRQIESJKT6W&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #6,048 of 7,916
You wanna swap for my US model? jk lol I get no updates that's the only reason I'm considering a x900 CN model I should have done my research before buying the international model, questions for you hows the wifi strength with the new updates and have they tamed the heat even a little on the Snapdragon 810 (no gaming)? It's not LeEco's fault that this chip is so bad but they can tweak to get the most out of it

Hah, indeed the US model is poorly supported by LeEco :frowning2: WiFi strength is okay (not best in class but also not the worst). I'm running the latest 5.8.018S CN rom (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) and so far everything works as it should.
Regarding heat, it does get a bit warm from time to time, but only when surfing the internet, playing 1080p/4K videos / games or listening to lossless music (then the dedicated dac runs the show :D).

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #6,049 of 7,916
Interesting, but " ONLY 3G works with GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile etc.). 4G LTE does not work in USA".  Still, thanks for pointing this out.
Here is the LG V10 for $260:  https://www.dailysteals.com/products/lg-v10-h900-at-t-unlocked-4g-lte-hexa-core-android-phone-w-16mp-camera?variant=33358299215  
The warranty adds $75 for one year and $100 adds two year warranty.  And then I wonder who provides the warranty.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #6,050 of 7,916
latest x900 ROM have improved background process management capability than early versions, which can help a lot in power consumption at idle. there are many advanced features in the super manager app, have fun. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #6,051 of 7,916
Interesting, but "[COLOR=111111] ONLY 3G works with GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile etc.). 4G LTE does not work in USA".  Still, thanks for pointing this out.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]Here is the LG V10 for $260:  [/COLOR]https://www.dailysteals.com/products/lg-v10-h900-at-t-unlocked-4g-lte-hexa-core-android-phone-w-16mp-camera?variant=33358299215  
The warranty adds $75 for one year and $100 adds two year warranty.  And then I wonder who provides the warranty.

Check XDA because some members report that it does get LTE and I'm a little busy at work so no time to check thoroughly but it does have some US LTE bands

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #6,053 of 7,916
  latest x900 ROM have improved background process management capability than early versions, which can help a lot in power consumption at idle. there are many advanced features in the super manager app, have fun. 
biggrin.gif

You mean 20S?

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #6,054 of 7,916

FYI HTC 10 international version on Amazon for $286 customers said that its brand new, QUALCOMM​ audio but sounds good imo and the specs are great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EADD18A?m=A6LRQIESJKT6W&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

Hey my Oneplus 2 just died (I think it was a motherboard issue), and I was looking for a phone with great SQ, and it seems like the HTC 10 is a great choice. That HTC 10 for $286 is a bargain (it doesn't ship to Australia but I can use a mail forwarder), but what was that about QUALCOMM audio? Is it not the same as the unit being reviewed on this thread?

Finally, do you think it is worth buying now, or do you think I should wait a bit until next years flagships are revealed? They may have better audio, but I would be paying a premium for them.

Cheers.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6,055 of 7,916

Aren't the audio chips the same? My impression was that if an app support the Axon 7 it should also then support the Mini because it would just be recognising the same hardware rather than some kind of model specific solution on ZTE's part.

One of the posts in that thread linked a list of working / non-working player apps with the V10s DAC which may or may not be similar to ZTE (below). According to another poster in the thread, the PowerAmp developer indicated that his app may indicate that the Snapdragon audio component is being used but with the correct settings in the alpha it should be using the discrete DAC correctly.

Music apps utilising the DAC on the LG V10
"
WORKING WITH DAC
N7 Player (only works with the 10-band equaliser disabled)
ZPlayer
PlayerPro (but NOT with the DSP installed!)
Shuttle+
Blackplayer EX
Rocket Player FREE
Spotify (only with cat game installed - see later in the thread...)
Google Music (only with cat game installed - see later in the thread...)
Neutron Player (only with cat game installed - see later in the thread...)
Tidal
Pandora
Noozy
Pulsar Music Player Pro

NOT WORKING WITH DAC
JetAudio
GoneMad Music Player
Poweramp
Stellio Music Player
HibyMusic
Rocket Player premium
Most streaming radio apps, including: Simple TV, MX Player, Xiialive and Tunein Radio

link please..... do they mention about players compatible with dac in v20?

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #6,057 of 7,916

Hey my Oneplus 2 just died (I think it was a motherboard issue), and I was looking for a phone with great SQ, and it seems like the HTC 10 is a great choice. That HTC 10 for $286 is a bargain (it doesn't ship to Australia but I can use a mail forwarder), but what was that about QUALCOMM audio? Is it not the same as the unit being reviewed on this thread?

Finally, do you think it is worth buying now, or do you think I should wait a bit until next years flagships are revealed? They may have better audio, but I would be paying a premium for them.

Cheers.

What's up, it's been reported that the HTC 10 uses Qualcomm Aqstic integrated DAC https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles along with a good amp, it's always a hard choice seeing as though new phones will be here in a few months but that doesn't mean they will be better in terms of audio as a few device have taken minor and major steps back, the HTC 10 may not have a dedicated DAC but it sounds great, boomsound does shape the sound though and has built in audio profiles which is just an Eq imo, on my streaming apps I turned off all equalizers and normalizers and in Poweramp no eq or tone control I just used the built in profiles at the time, the amp pushes hard out of the box but can get louder or lower depending on the profile setup, it sounds very musical and exciting....a more modern sound if you will where certain frequencies are boosted, can it compete with phones with dedicated DACs in terms of overall quality or satisfy audio purists? Probably not but pair it with some decent headphones and it will have you head bopping all day, compared to my x800 it's not too far behind just missing some details and smaller soundstage but the x800 sounds slower and more neutral, sorry I'm not an expert at describing audio lol but if you want to wait for 2017 maybe get a x800 to play with in the meantime? They start around $150 on AliExpress but bear in mind though you can root etc it runs EUI which is far from stock Android while the 10 is closer to stock Android....The 10 already has Nougat and is a very good device overall plus another HTC flagship will be in the $600+ range unless you can't find a deal at the time.

EDIT: I've been wondering about the low price and did some reading on Amazon and it appears its the real deal, you still have the return policy just in case there are defects however the phone will have no warranty outside of that.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #6,058 of 7,916
Dec 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #6,059 of 7,916
What's up, it's been reported that the HTC 10 uses Qualcomm Aqstic integrated DAC https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles along with a good amp, it's always a hard choice seeing as though new phones will be here in a few months but that doesn't mean they will be better in terms of audio as a few device have taken minor and major steps back, the HTC 10 may not have a dedicated DAC but it sounds great, boomsound does shape the sound though and has built in audio profiles which is just an Eq imo, on my streaming apps I turned off all equalizers and normalizers and in Poweramp no eq or tone control I just used the built in profiles at the time, the amp pushes hard out of the box but can get louder or lower depending on the profile setup, it sounds very musical and exciting....a more modern sound if you will where certain frequencies are boosted, can it compete with phones with dedicated DACs in terms of overall quality or satisfy audio purists? Probably not but pair it with some decent headphones and it will have you head bopping all day, compared to my x800 it's not too far behind just missing some details and smaller soundstage but the x800 sounds slower and more neutral, sorry I'm not an expert at describing audio lol but if you want to wait for 2017 maybe get a x800 to play with in the meantime? They start around $150 on AliExpress but bear in mind though you can root etc it runs EUI which is far from stock Android while the 10 is closer to stock Android....The 10 already has Nougat and is a very good device overall plus another HTC flagship will be in the $600+ range unless you can't find a deal at the time.

EDIT: I've been wondering about the low price and did some reading on Amazon and it appears its the real deal, you still have the return policy just in case there are defects however the phone will have no warranty outside of that.

Hey, thanks for replying. Good to know about the HTC, but as the purpose was to buy an all round solid, inexpensive phone, if a phone that's a couple of hundred dollars cheaper (in AUD anyway) and has a better audio experience, I may go for that. Thanks for the recommendation.

This x800 everyone keeps talking about, that's the Letv One Pro, right? I only hear great things about it (except for UI, but I'm hoping Nova Launcher will make it look android enough), but I can't seem to find any info on the audio specs. So I assume it has a dedicated DAC and Amp? How does it compare to the Z3? My audiophile friend has one and I hear enough of the amazing 4 DAC setup in that phone with DSEE HX.

Well, thanks for the reply, the only doubts I have with the x800 is that it does not have a microsd card slot (neither did my Oneplus 2) nor a fingerprint scanner (I really have grown accustomed to them). 

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #6,060 of 7,916
Hey, thanks for replying. Good to know about the HTC, but as the purpose was to buy an all round solid, inexpensive phone, if a phone that's a couple of hundred dollars cheaper (in AUD anyway) and has a better audio experience, I may go for that. Thanks for the recommendation.

This x800 everyone keeps talking about, that's the Letv One Pro, right? I only hear great things about it (except for UI, but I'm hoping Nova Launcher will make it look android enough), but I can't seem to find any info on the audio specs. So I assume it has a dedicated DAC and Amp? How does it compare to the Z3? My audiophile friend has one and I hear enough of the amazing 4 DAC setup in that phone with DSEE HX.

Well, thanks for the reply, the only doubts I have with the x800 is that it does not have a microsd card slot (neither did my Oneplus 2) nor a fingerprint scanner (I really have grown accustomed to them). 

Yes its call the LeTv Le 1 Pro and it does have a dedicated DAC and there's a list floating around with the audio specs a couple pages back, I don't have experience with the z3 unfortunately so I can't make that comparison, there's a LeTv Le Max x900 which has a fingerprint scanner and reported to have slightly better sq and a little louder than the x800 but the screen is 6.33 inches also bear in mind you can get them in 32gb,64gb or 128gb and as for the HTC 10 you can get a general idea here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/807570/review-on-htc-10-and-sound-quality-aqstic-dedicated-integrated-dac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back