Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #5,866 of 7,916
i guess Lenovo Vibe X3 Lite is K51C78, which uses cirrus logic WM8281, it is better than soc bundled dac but worse than X3C50 or Mi Note's ES9018 + OPA1612.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #5,867 of 7,916
If you have 200 euro then save a bit more and buy Alcatel Idol 4, you can get it for about 1000pln.

It's more about how much do I want to spend, not how much do I have. And I don't want to spend too much for toy I can drop and destroy at any moment.
I can afford this Alcatel Idol 4 but is it worth to buy? From what I can find it t has mediocre reviews and most praise sound from speakers not to much about how does it sound with headphones.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #5,868 of 7,916
Get something 2nd hand then. Buy locally to be able to test thoroughly before payment, also research specific device model issues beforehand and get full history from previous owner. Can bargain as well.

Worked for me, for less than the price of Ulefone Vienna, which otherwise would have been my obvious choice if buying new.

Just my 2c.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #5,869 of 7,916
It's more about how much do I want to spend, not how much do I have. And I don't want to spend too much for toy I can drop and destroy at any moment.
I can afford this Alcatel Idol 4 but is it worth to buy? From what I can find it t has mediocre reviews and most praise sound from speakers not to much about how does it sound with headphones.

Decision is yours then, I have lenovo x3 lite (k51c78) from Ali and for the price I paid (116usd) it's great!

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5,870 of 7,916
I just bought the HTC 10.
And I have Sony mdrv6 headphones.
I want to often listen to music on YouTube. Here's the catch, the lowest volume setting is too high.

I looked online and there are some other posts of people complaining about the same. It's supposed to be Android related and especially HTC related.

Solution would be to buy headphones with a volume control wheel or buttons.

I want everything with zero distortion both the phone and headphones so that I can stream 1080p sounds on a particular channel I listen to. With this phone the sound is too loud.

I bought a fanless asus that I had to give back because it did make noise.

I want no distortion. YouTube stream. Normal volume settings lowest should be barely audible which is not the case.

Please advice.

Thanks

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #5,871 of 7,916
I just bought the HTC 10.
And I have Sony mdrv6 headphones.
I want to often listen to music on YouTube. Here's the catch, the lowest volume setting is too high.

I looked online and there are some other posts of people complaining about the same. It's supposed to be Android related and especially HTC related.

Solution would be to buy headphones with a volume control wheel or buttons.

I want everything with zero distortion both the phone and headphones so that I can stream 1080p sounds on a particular channel I listen to. With this phone the sound is too loud.

I bought a fanless asus that I had to give back because it did make noise.

I want no distortion. YouTube stream. Normal volume settings lowest should be barely audible which is not the case.

Please advice.

Thanks

i think about sennh mx/cx 980/985 which have volume wheel

or getting ~20 ohm impedance adapter to calm down the sound volume.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #5,873 of 7,916
im about to buy the LeTV Le Max X900, the seller says it will root the phone, but he can also not root the phone if requested, should i let him root it or not? do you need root to install google play?

x900's stock oversea system have full GMS preinstalled.
stock chinese system have google services preinstalled in disabled mode, they will be automatically enabled when you install a google app, like play store or google map.

and you can flash either of them as you like, they have the same hardware.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #5,874 of 7,916
I'm waiting for your review as well because just like all LG phones the price will drop soon
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks. after running various tests, i'm a little more confident about my previously mixed feeling...
frown.gif

that feeling is: V20 is cleaner, smoother than V10, more defined in the mid range. but also lacks impact/control in the bass.

now i can see that V20 has...
better DAC than V10, and significantly lower jitter.
slightly more powerful amp, 3.3db higher hard clip limit
but much more distorted amp, which is soft clipped in current, has 10~20db more distortion at the same output level (mostly odd order), or similarly less output at the same distortion level, for a low impedance load.
virtually no interference at all. V10 on the contrary has minor LCD interference and strong USB interference (they will disappear if you turn the screen off and disconnect the USB cable) 

maybe the integrated amp in ES9218 is good in itself, but V20 doesn't feed it with enough power supply?

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #5,875 of 7,916
thanks. after running various tests, i'm a little more confident about my previously mixed feeling...:frowning2:
that feeling is: V20 is cleaner, smoother than V10, more defined in the mid range. but also lacks impact/control in the bass.

now i can see that V20 has...
better DAC than V10
slightly more powerful amp, 3.3db higher hard clip limit
but much more distorted amp, which is soft clipped in current, has 20~30db more distortion at the same output level (mostly odd order), or similarly less output at the same distortion level, for a low impedance load.

maybe the integrated amp in ES9218 is good in itself, but V20 doesn't feed it with enough power supply?

Thank you for testing and posting your findings, it does seem like a power issue maybe LG has purposely done it to save battery since the v10 drains power faster while in high gain mode or maybe they aren't aware of it as yet

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #5,877 of 7,916
Man, to carry this thing around you would need to hire a personal assistant to carry it for you.

Now if it was a dual boot running both android and win10, I would buy it myself right now, then I could do some real usefull things with it.

Just my 2c.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #5,878 of 7,916
Got an Xperia X Compact because my priorities are:

1 - Size
2 - Audio
3 - Price

Audio quality is fine I guess, doesn't seem as disappointing as the Moto G4 Play and compares ok to my dying HTC One S. Looking back I realize how good the S was, I think turning on the Beats stuff enabled a dedicated amp, it didn't seem like software processing.

Anyway, on the Xperia it's the volume that's a problem, it's a lot quieter. I can compensate with my car's amp, and also accept the idea of protecting my hearing in headphones.

However, is there some kind of secret limiter or automatic gain control in Android? I swear there are a few tracks that just don't hit as hard as they did with the HTC One S. Trying PowerAmp, the Sony Player, all the different effects types, nothing conclusive so far. It's almost like track intros and quieter passages are louder than the actual tracks sometimes, it's driving me nuts. I'll try running the amp louder and the phone quieter to figure it out.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #5,879 of 7,916
Got an Xperia X Compact because my priorities are:

1 - Size
2 - Audio
3 - Price

Audio quality is fine I guess, doesn't seem as disappointing as the Moto G4 Play and compares ok to my dying HTC One S. Looking back I realize how good the S was, I think turning on the Beats stuff enabled a dedicated amp, it didn't seem like software processing.

Anyway, on the Xperia it's the volume that's a problem, it's a lot quieter. I can compensate with my car's amp, and also accept the idea of protecting my hearing in headphones.

However, is there some kind of secret limiter or automatic gain control in Android? I swear there are a few tracks that just don't hit as hard as they did with the HTC One S. Trying PowerAmp, the Sony Player, all the different effects types, nothing conclusive so far. It's almost like track intros and quieter passages are louder than the actual tracks sometimes, it's driving me nuts. I'll try running the amp louder and the phone quieter to figure it out.

Nope. I had the Z2 and Z5 and they are just limited. Similar to Euro capped limits.

There may be way if rooted, but otherwise they just cannot drive insensitive headphones. I like the Xperias, but this was an issue on PM3 and Sine headphones.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #5,880 of 7,916

I used to have htc one xl too (same internals of one s) which had that amazing audio quality atleast when compared to any other soc audio phone of that time.

Htc has some secret sauce which they don't reveal especially on the amp side but dac is their weak part unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back