Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #5,851 of 7,916
I will check myself on http://willmyphonework.net/ to see if it works both in Europe and USA.

I will use it for;

-Listening to music (I have iPod nano right now, please tell me if the audio of the phone is barely better than the iPod nano)
-Youtube streaming
-Internet surfing

-I don't know if this exists but if it can open videos on certain sites that do not have a mobile option, maybe apps exist for this. I cant explain it but you know how sometimes you cant open certain files with your phone. Maybe a certain tablet is better for this ?

The shop from which I can buy has these flagship smartphones:

iPhone 7 (plus)
iPhone 6s (plus)
iPhone 6 (plus)
Samsung galaxy s7 (edge)
Sony xperia xz
Huawei Mate 9
Huawei Nexus 6P
CAT s60
Lenovo moto z
Sony xperia x performance

They have others too but these are the most expensive.

If there is a very good one for internet browsing I could buy that one and a dragonfly dac.

If I listen to this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHvN1YR2Zk in 1080p, how much does it matter if my equipment is good for audio ? What if they have 4k audio which they will have in the future ? 

From your list the iPhone 6s and 6s plus are the Best in audio quality. I'm an Android and iOS user and I have to say iPhone is easier to use and more stable. Maybe for you an iPhone + dragonfly, zuperdac or schiit fulla is the best option

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #5,852 of 7,916
android audio mixer does only work in 48k...but that's not the whole story.

if an audio track is playing in fast/normal/deep buffer mode, they will go through mixer, hence resampled (unless it is 48k already)
if an audio track is playing in offload/direct mode, that means the compressed data/original pcm data is feed to underlaying codec chip driver directly, they may or may not be resampled depending on codec hardware & driver implementation (it's pretty safe to assume the direct mode is not resampled, otherwise it would be meaningless to implement a direct mode)
audio track playback mode can be inspected by "adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger"

generally all music playback is going through deep buffer mode on android M and above, unless some special trick is used (eg. hi-res path in poweramp, or device's stock music player)

Thanks for in depth data. Appreciated.

Fortunately, it is hard for my ear to tell if it is resampling or not. ^_^ if the sound is good that is more than enough for me.

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #5,853 of 7,916
If the company decides to implement their stock app properly, it could support high res. E.g.samsungs have support for high res files in their stock player. I believe the majority of players out there (neutron etc...) do not support real high res playback and what comes out of the phone at the end is the downsampled version at 48kHz, as standard on Android.

Edit: in case you would find my statement about the Samsung phones hard to believe, I have audio precision measurements of note 5 and S7E that are ruler flat up to ~96kHz, indicating a 192kHz sampling rate.

I see. It is like having hires path in poweramp alpha. Thanks for adding up this info.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #5,854 of 7,916
Thanks for in depth data. Appreciated.

Fortunately, it is hard for my ear to tell if it is resampling or not. ^_^ if the sound is good that is more than enough for me.

ditto, most of the time the bottleneck is amp (other than the headphone itself). a high quality resampler like SoX doesn't hurt that much.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #5,855 of 7,916
Does someone know ahyhing related with Redmi 3S and 4 Prime?
I've seen measurements on GSM Arena that points they are good.

Was wondering if anyione had the chance to try them out, maybe they are on par with Redmi Note 3 Pro
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #5,856 of 7,916
Here is another review of the poor man's audiocentric phone.

We have the all new scissors magnetic test here measuring the magnetic field created by the magnet inside the phone's speaker.

Also about halfway there is a direct comparison to Letv Le1 Pro (aka X800), which the reviewer calls his personal favorite, over loudspeaker and headphones too.

Here you go.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,857 of 7,916
Any words about sound quality of HTC Desire 630?
Just another SoC audio? I can't find anything.

From other hand is there any smartphone under 200 euros with good sound quality from big, well known company?
I was thinking about buying Ulefone Vienna but I prefer something widely available in my country (Poland) with good support, warranty and big community. Some people claim Ulefone's software is buggy.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #5,859 of 7,916
  Any words about sound quality of HTC Desire 630?
Just another SoC audio? I can't find anything.

From other hand is there any smartphone under 200 euros with good sound quality from big, well known company?
I was thinking about buying Ulefone Vienna but I prefer something widely available in my country (Poland) with good support, warranty and big community. Some people claim Ulefone's software is buggy.

Lenovo Vibe X3 X3C50, lenovo phones are pretty bad as a smartphone, but this one does excel in audio department.

Xiaomi Mi Note is one of the best sounding phone in 2015, but it doesn't have expandable storage, and most devices on the market are 16g variant...

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #5,860 of 7,916
Xiaomi Mi Note is available here but way too expensive. There is also Lenovo Vibe X3 Lite (good luck in guessing which version it is) but without polish UI.
I guess I have to risk and buy Ulefone Vienna or just buy smartphone and forgot about sound quality.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #5,861 of 7,916
Xiaomi Mi Note is available here but way too expensive. There is also Lenovo Vibe X3 Lite (good luck in guessing which version it is) but without polish UI.
I guess I have to risk and buy Ulefone Vienna or just buy smartphone and forgot about sound quality.

Maybe just buy cheap phone + DAP

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #5,865 of 7,916
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back