Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #5,808 of 7,916
Iphone 6s and 7 are basically world phones they work almost everywhere in terms of service, Android I think is better for opening and viewing and easily adding all types of files its more like a mini PC.... though with apps you can do certain things on the iPhone, 4k only refers to the resolution of screens or video content audio is different and as for audio capabilities it depend on you as the listener and what headphones you have....the iPhone is loud and clear, HTC 10 in my experience beats the iPhone is all categories....not that the iPhone is bad but once you hear a good or great audio setup the difference becomes clear. everything else on your list is just ok in terms of sound quality some have low output like the Nexus 6p, the xperia xz, xperia performance or Mate 9 I have never heard before maybe someone on the thread can comment? If you want to store your music or movie collection definitely the US Unlocked HTC 10 or v20 direct from LG with the sd card slot is the best value in terms of being a complete package I think.

Apart from HTC 10 or LG v20 what other good audio phones are there?

What if Im buying a dragonfly red dac ? Do I still need to combo it with a good phone such as the iphone 7 ?

Mostly I will listen in my room connected to the wifi either streaming on youtube or listening to downloaded tracks.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #5,810 of 7,916

What if Im buying a dragonfly red dac ? Do I still need to combo it with a good phone such as the iphone 7 ?

Mostly I will listen in my room connected to the wifi either streaming on youtube or listening to downloaded tracks.

The iPhone 7 is a good phone? In what sense? It's just very expensive.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,811 of 7,916

There are a few Chinese phones but Network compatibility might be an issue especially for Europe but I'm not sure, phones with integrated quality audio components are meant to be a more portable all in one option and though I'm not familiar with external DACs but I'm guessing the dragonfly would be better sounding and more powerful (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't believe you need a great sounding phone to use the dragonfly because it has its own DAC but I never came close to max volume on my HTC 10 when I had it and I love my music loud....same with my current x800 I've only maxed it to test distortion and found none, iPhones are stable and efficient and you can find workarounds for almost any shortcomings (compared to Android) it may have but as a total overall package I love Android more, just be sure to ask if and how the dragonfly works with the device you decide to go with. There's a list a few pages back that shows devices with hi-fi and artpiggo has a list that details how some of them sound and their power outout and while most are not 2016 models they still work great IMO, use that Network checker site and see if maybe you can get lucky because some are at great prices these days, I was recommending the newer device because they support more frequencies.

EDIT: Also look into the ZTE Axon 7, ZTE is still cleaning up the audio but it sounds great especially with Poweramp Alpha, that phone is a steal for $399 and with the money you save you can still buy the Dragonfly if you want

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5,814 of 7,916
Got my LeTV x900 yesterday which I bought from AliExpress. From what I listened up to now, the sound quality of this phone is amazing. The only phone that I can recall that had close enough sound quality was the Pro 5. I'm very impressed so far with the SQ and the screen.

Can I ask what country you are in? Just wondering about compatibility.

Thanks!

Shane D

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #5,815 of 7,916
Gotcha, at least for now the x900 is your best option because is a manufacturer is putting quality components in a device they want to make sure it will sell enough to justify the cost and because the demand for extra large screens isn't that high you usually see 4.7 to 5.7 inches, the Maya Max is an example it has a HIFI setup and a large 720p screen and massive battery but it isn't a known brand per se and isnt fully compatible with networks outside of china so I think there was one guy on the thread that bought it but he never came back with a review of the audio, I think 5.7 isn't far from 6 inches in terms of screen size and if you don't want to take a chance with the x900 maybe get a cheap 7 inch tablet for movies etc then ask the guys on here about small USB DACs for the note 4?

I would miss the headphone jack though.:hushed:. I just bought a great set of headphones cheap on a Black Friday sale.

I love the idea of a massive battery. I am charging mine twice a day. Since it is two years old I am thinking about buying a new battery and trying it out to see how much difference it would make.
No interest in a new tablet. I have a desktop, ipad and a phone. Just love the convenience of using one tool for all, although sometimes a desktop is needed. I NEVER use my tablet anymore.

I have seen the Maya Max, but I think it had compatibility problems.

Bell uses several bands, but their big one is Band 4.
I checked my network options and it (Samsung Note 4) let's me choose from:
1) LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto connect
2) WCDMA/GSM auto connect
3) WCDMA only
4) GSM only
Which of these modes would best simulate the service I would get on a Bell network in Canada with a LeTv Max (x900)?

Thanks a LOT for your help and patience!:thumbsup:

Shane D

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #5,816 of 7,916
I would miss the headphone jack though.:hushed:. I just bought a great set of headphones cheap on a Black Friday sale.

I love the idea of a massive battery. I am charging mine twice a day. Since it is two years old I am thinking about buying a new battery and trying it out to see how much difference it would make.
No interest in a new tablet. I have a desktop, ipad and a phone. Just love the convenience of using one tool for all, although sometimes a desktop is needed. I NEVER use my tablet anymore.

I have seen the Maya Max, but I think it had compatibility problems.

Bell uses several bands, but their big one is Band 4.
I checked my network options and it (Samsung Note 4) let's me choose from:
1) LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto connect
2) WCDMA/GSM auto connect
3) WCDMA only
4) GSM only
Which of these modes would best simulate the service I would get on a Bell network in Canada with a LeTv Max (x900)?

Thanks a LOT for your help and patience!:thumbsup:

Shane D

No worries at all, set it to WCDMA/GSM auto connect

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,817 of 7,916
  The htc 10 is not on the list. It looks incomplete. No iphones either, it is said some are good for audio

HTC 10 and iPhones havent released any information on their audio chips, if you do have info about them, ill gladly add them to the list. Most Sonys and Huawei, and other main brands rarely implement dedicated audio chips, so this list is complete as it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back