Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #5,628 of 7,916
Hello everyone! Just received my LeTV Le One Pro (X800+) from China. It came with EUI 5.0 (Android 5) and I've updated it to EUI 5.8 (Android 6). Before this I had an iPhone 5. Really good phone, nothing to shout about, just that it became a little rusty when it came to performance and every day usage.
Overall, the LeTV is a step up in terms of everything (display, performance, audio quality). Battery life seems more or less the same, depending on what you're doing (playing games, surfing the internet, listening to lossless music via Tidal and so on), but so far I'm loving it!
Regarding audio quality, it surpasses the iPhone 5 in my opinion and reaches a higher level of fidelity. Also, maximum volume seems a bit higher (with HiFi option turned on).
If anyone got questions regarding the LeTV One Pro, please ask :)

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #5,629 of 7,916
Now we have one more Letv users!

Good that you love it.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #5,631 of 7,916
I doubt mi mix Sound quality since Wild Lee said in VE facebook group that it sounds crap. Not sure about his criteria haha. Maybe it is good but not as good as his system or something.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5,632 of 7,916
Cheers Shane.  It really is stunning, pictures and such just cannot do it justice - quite possibly the sexiest slab of technology I've ever laid eyes on.  I'm forever wiping drool off the display..

I was all for getting a Note 7, but that quite literally blew up in my face... (too soon?)  I was then considering the Moto Z or the Pixel, but the design is so boring.  Then I happened to see a picture of this thing, I had to have it!  

The great sound is just some sort of unexpected bonus on top really, I wouldn't normally have even tried it, but I found myself at work without my X7 the other day..

Don't give up - I'm in the UK but still managed to nab one, i'm sure you could import something to suit your needs!

How do you find the everyday usability? How about build quality?

I was on their website and looking at the Mi Max at one quarter of the price of the Mi Mix. Less high tech, but huge display and HUGE storage (128GB AND micro SD slot). Wonder if it has good audio?

Shane D

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #5,634 of 7,916
Does anyone know what ESS dac LeTV Le One Pro (X800+) has? It's advertised as LeTV-HQ7A chip, however I'm curious if it's the same model as the one used in LG V10.

It is ess9018q2m. Lg v10 is ess9018k2m

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,635 of 7,916
LeTV X800/X900 used SABRE9018Q2C, you can think of it as ES9018K2M + ES9602 integrated in the same package to achieve a smaller footprint, of course you have to pay some price for integration 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #5,636 of 7,916
Can someone help me decide between lg v10 and lg v20? I've listend to both of them in T-Mobile store for 5mins each by playing a youtube video (paired with Shure SE535). I felt v20 to be more analytical, v10 was more musical (compared to v20).  Not sure, if I should draw a conclusion with 5mins of listening.Has someone else listened to both these and ready to give their opinion?

On the other hand, lg v20 has much better camera,battery compared to v10. I listen to songs 2-3 hrs a day, games for 1hr. I dont want to be in a situation where I run out of battery in middle of the day. So, it makes my decision even tougher.

PS: I am not looking at Chinese phones like LeTv,Meizu bcoz of compatibility issues with T-Mobile. Between HTC 10 and lg, I liked lg sound signature more. So, no HTC, no LeTv, Meizu etc.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #5,637 of 7,916
Has anybody experienced the sound quality of the LeTV Le Max 2? I'm not sure if the advertised quality is the same with the adapter and normal 3,5mm headphones, or would you even recommend using an external USB-DAC? Or can you even recommend another smartphone with "outstanding" sound quality through over-ear headphones?
Thanks!

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #5,638 of 7,916
  Has anybody experienced the sound quality of the LeTV Le Max 2? I'm not sure if the advertised quality is the same with the adapter and normal 3,5mm headphones, or would you even recommend using an external USB-DAC? Or can you even recommend another smartphone with "outstanding" sound quality through over-ear headphones?
Thanks!

If you read at least the last say 10 pages you might get a lot of answers to these questions, but I doubt any of these phones has 'outstanding' sound quality probably mostly limited by power constraints for a headphone amp in a tiny low power chip. I believe the consensus about the Le Max 2 is that it is basically Qualcomm SoC audio if you are using the 3.5mm headphone passthrough adapter. You only get a non-SoC DAC/amp if you use their included earphone. So basically it would have nearly identical (aside from any EQ added in firmware) as every other phone that uses a Qualcomm SoC for its audio. There may be some differences between different Qualcomm SoCs but that's about it.

What I wonder about is how these phones would compare to low priced dedicated DAPs like the Fiio M3. I am thinking about buying an M3 (the new Sansa Clip?) to compare to my phone audio. Just take a look at GouryellaIV's list of phones with non-SoC audio (note that the Lenovo entry may be wrong). There are a lot of decent options from $80-$120 at the low end to more than $800 at the high end, but I'm not sure any will compare that well to dedicated audio players especially the more expensive ones that anyone buying an $800 phone could certainly afford to buy. I wouldn't be too surprised if even an M3 could beat all of them. After all it was designed just for listening to music and nothing else. With a phone it's more of an afterthought that most manufacturers barely even bother to put in their marketing.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #5,639 of 7,916
Thanks!

Well if you use over ear headphones, LG V20 should have more power to drive. Actually Letv x900/ Letv x910 can drive as well with surely outstanding sound.

For USB DAC, I think you can just find some matching at your local headphone shop.

I'm not sure of Letv Max2 x820 for its sound quality.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #5,640 of 7,916
  Can someone help me decide between lg v10 and lg v20? I've listend to both of them in T-Mobile store for 5mins each by playing a youtube video (paired with Shure SE535). I felt v20 to be more analytical, v10 was more musical (compared to v20).  Not sure, if I should draw a conclusion with 5mins of listening.Has someone else listened to both these and ready to give their opinion?

On the other hand, lg v20 has much better camera,battery compared to v10. I listen to songs 2-3 hrs a day, games for 1hr. I dont want to be in a situation where I run out of battery in middle of the day. So, it makes my decision even tougher.

PS: I am not looking at Chinese phones like LeTv,Meizu bcoz of compatibility issues with T-Mobile. Between HTC 10 and lg, I liked lg sound signature more. So, no HTC, no LeTv, Meizu etc.

Since smartphone purpose is to fulfill all daily usage not just music stuffs. So I believe you should go ahead to better-spec V20. Even it is more analytical than V10, you can still tune your 535 with another eartip that matchs new phone's sound sighnature. It does not cost you that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back