Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #5,582 of 7,916
Really sorry but I'm new to this audio stuff so I won't really understand what all the results and figures means. care to educate a newbie :joy:

For noise, lower is better (Noise Level, THD, IMD, Crosstalk). The higher dynamic range is better.

Picture below is frequency response graph. The more straight graph is the more neutral frequency response it would be. For LG V10, headphone frequency response around 50Hz is slightly high that +0, it's mean that when playback at those frequency would be slightly louder than it should. If the sooner the graph drop at higher frequency, mean the less response in higher frequency. AXON 7 would has better higher frequency response than V10 as you saw from the graph. However, you would found it a bit louder than usual as the graph show.

This could happened from various reasons. When using earphone, some phone route audio data through Equalizer or DSP (Audio FX, Dolby Atmos, Maxx Audio, Viper and such) or have either Software or Hardware issues which make earphones output has non neutral response (like AXON 7 and V10).

Some are not having this problem (eg., Xiaomi Mi Max)

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max-review-1448p7.php

Some people prefer phone that route audio through addition DSP when using earphone, while some are not. I'm the latter.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #5,583 of 7,916
For noise, lower is better (Noise Level, THD, IMD, Crosstalk). The higher dynamic range is better.

Picture below is frequency response graph. The more straight graph is the more neutral frequency response it would be. For LG V10, headphone frequency response around 50Hz is slightly high that +0, it's mean that when playback at those frequency would be slightly louder than it should. If the sooner the graph drop at higher frequency, mean the less response in higher frequency. AXON 7 would has better higher frequency response than V10 as you saw from the graph. However, you would found it a bit louder than usual as the graph show.

This could happened from various reasons. When using earphone, some phone route audio data through Equalizer or DSP (Audio FX, Dolby Atmos, Maxx Audio, Viper and such) or have either Software or Hardware issues which make earphones output has non neutral response (like AXON 7 and V10).

Some are not having this problem (eg., Xiaomi Mi Max)

Some people prefer phone that route audio through addition DSP when using earphone, while some are not. I'm the latter.

Does this means that the Huawei Mate 8 is the far superior audio phone judging from the data?

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #5,585 of 7,916
GSMArena‘s RMAA tests are severely flawed.
It's only helpful when it comes to extremely bad performers, otherwise it doesn't mean much.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #5,589 of 7,916
  It's best to listen to it yourself.

RMAA is basically loop back testing.

RMAA itself is quite good, you can do most of the things a proper audio analyzer do in RMAA with lowered precision.
The problem is GSMArena's methodology and equipment. They use a very bad sound card (compare to modern smartphones) to do the recording.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #5,591 of 7,916
  New list updated, added various new Vivo and Gigaset phones

Man that new Xplay 6 is only a dream to me

Man, please post the full size version of that list as an attachment or something cause the miniature is all but unreadable and becomes awful when magnified.

I mean post the miniature if you need to, just include the full size readable version as well. You had posted that full size version in the past once and it was great with big readable letters. This full size version can be shrinked to be viewed full screen in one go, but the opposite is not possible as the miniature cannot expand to recreate the full size version in any usable quality.

It's a pity to do all this nice work and then we can not read it properly.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #5,592 of 7,916
  RMAA itself is quite good, you can do most of the things a proper audio analyzer do in RMAA with lowered precision.
The problem is GSMArena's methodology and equipment. They use a very bad sound card (compare to modern smartphones) to do the recording.

Yes, because it's loopback testing ADC in sound card/audio interface also a factor. If I recall correctly, they're using M-Audio Fast Track Pro (
24-bit/96kHz​
USB Audio Interface). I think it's more than adequate to test phone audio output at 44.1kHz/48KHz 16 bit. Unless, Android Hi-res software support and Hi-res sources became standard, they're not gonna need to buy new sound card/audio interface soon.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #5,593 of 7,916
  Man, please post the full size version of that list as an attachment or something cause the miniature is all but unreadable and becomes awful when magnified.

I mean post the miniature if you need to, just include the full size readable version as well. You had posted that full size version in the past once and it was great with big readable letters. This full size version can be shrinked to be viewed full screen in one go, but the opposite is not possible as the miniature cannot expand to recreate the full size version in any usable quality.

It's a pity to do all this nice work and then we can not read it properly.

Click the picture in the original post then click the "original" button in the bottom right portion of the screen.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #5,594 of 7,916

Yes, because it's loopback testing ADC in sound card/audio interface also a factor. If I recall correctly, they're using M-Audio Fast Track Pro (
24-bit/96kHz​
USB Audio Interface). I think it's more than adequate to test phone audio output at 44.1kHz/48KHz 16 bit. Unless, Android Hi-res software support and Hi-res sources became standard, they're not gonna need to buy new sound card/audio interface soon.

Yes, with 100db DR and -86db THD+N in A/D, M-Audio Fast Track Pro is pretty out of league today.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #5,595 of 7,916
Meizu Pro 6 Plus announced with Exynos processor! Yissssss, now please please please DAC & Amp also upgraded version!

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/11/30/13791010/meizu-pro-6-plus-announcement-specs-f

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back