Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #5,551 of 7,916
40$ if you dont buy, ill go get it. :D

You cant find good music player for this price. Mx4 pro SQ is awesome.

Wait.....how come nobody has been talking about this phone recently? It can be found for under $200 US these days on eBay and Banggood sites.....is it that good? I'm might get it instead of the x900

Edit: currently sold out on Banggood

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #5,552 of 7,916
Wait.....how come nobody has been talking about this phone recently? It can be found for under $200 US these days on eBay and Banggood sites.....is it that good? I'm might get it instead of the x900

Because it has successor as pro5. Wait a little more pro5 price might drop after 30 nov which new model will come up that day.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #5,553 of 7,916

I've been eye-balling this one for sure. Seems like a great phone for audio, but no microSD support. And 64GB version sold out(?)

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #5,556 of 7,916
I've been eye-balling this one for sure. Seems like a great phone for audio, but no microSD support. And 64GB version sold out(?)

I haven't seen a 64gb listing but I usually stream my music anyway, I'm just worried about the bad battery life reports and updates, the guess the newer model is more efficient and better quality but maybe a loss in audio quality

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #5,558 of 7,916
I mean audiowise worse, MX4 PRO I remember was designed and advertised as the phone for audiofans. The advantage of MX4 PRO over MX5 is in the specs, just take a look:

http://meizu.com/en/products/mx4pro/hifi.html

you will not find it in MX5:

http://meizu.com/en/products/mx5/summary.html

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #5,562 of 7,916
Sorry, I'm too lazy to read back through almost 400 pages of the thread. Could anyone suggest a couple, (or more), phones that support American LTE and that are optimized for American consumers?
TIA

Android that is. Not an Apple fan.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #5,563 of 7,916
Sorry, I'm too lazy to read back through almost 400 pages of the thread. Could anyone suggest a couple, (or more), phones that support American LTE and that are optimized for American consumers?
TIA

htc 10, lg v10/v20, lenovo vibe x3 (beware, several versions exist with slighly different specs), zte axon 7

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #5,564 of 7,916

TIA

htc 10, lg v10/v20, lenovo vibe x3 (beware, several versions exist with slighly different specs), zte axon 7

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #5,565 of 7,916
TIA

Go to page 364 and look for a post from GouryellaIV with his list of phones that are known to have non-SoC audio. Most other phones will have sound that depends mostly on whether their SoC is from Mediatek or Qualcomm with Qualcomm having far superior audio, but with maybe some rare exceptions non-SoC audio tends to be much better than Qualcomm audio. Then go to GSMarena or some other site that lists the LTE bands for each phone model, but you can skip Vivo and LeTV and most of the lesser known Chinese phones since they don't bother with US LTE frequencies for the most part. If you do manage to come up with a sublist of Gouryella's list with only phones with non-SoC audio and US LTE frequencies please post it here, but unfortunately it will be a very short list.

Qualcomm SoC audio is good enough for most people apparently and the mainstream manufacturers are well aware of this. Note that you can (or at least could while Bestbuy had their sale) get a ZTE Zmax2 for only $50 which has probably the best version of Qualcomm audio with that old Snapdragon 400 SoC. Even if you are prepared to spend $800 or more on a phone I'm just saying that you can get a fully functional android phone with maybe the very best of all SoC audio and US LTE bands for only $50. I'd get one myself if I were in the US, but I doubt its audio can really compete with most of the phones with dedicated DAC and amp chips. A friend of mine has both a Zmax2 and a Sansa Clip. I want to ask him to do a listening test between the two. He is quite impressed with the audio quality of his Zmax2. Qualcomm seems to have done a particularly good job with the Snapdragon 400 audio.

HTC 10 isn't on that list but according to this article it should be. Unfortunately the actual DAC and amp they use may be unknown. You could try searching this thread for info about it though. I found the comment about Snapdragon 820 audio problems interesting. It makes me wonder if the 400 and 410 and maybe 6xx series are better than the 8xx series in terms of audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back