Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #4,591 of 7,916

​I have the V10 and can vouch for that device(big brother to the V20).  Originally when the V10 was released the DAC was only working with the stock music app.  Later on however, LG released an update and the DAC now works with all 3rd party music apps including streaming like Spotify.  I was also going to recommend an HTC 10 to you, but I think the screen size being 5.2 would not be enough.  Honestly the V10 blows me away, so I'm sure the V20 would be a great option.  My device before the V10 was an HTC M8 and that had great audio.  Its amazing how much of a steal the V10 can be right now in the used marketplace.  I sometimes think of using it as a DAP only.  If you want to save some cash, you might consider the V10. 

on which device are you talking about?

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #4,593 of 7,916
how does htc10 compared tp lg v10?the looking is really attractive 

Sq wise it's on the same level. H10 maybe slightly warmer and a little less power. Subtle differences. As a smartphone it's faster and I personally prefer H10s interface . Both are very good and if only for sound you will like both. LG V20 is just around the corner, also a possibility.

Overall I prefer the H10 but thats maybe only because I prefer this as a smartphone. Sq wise no big difference.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,594 of 7,916
I forgot! H10 way longer battery life and very fast charging. But no removable battery if that's important. How long are we using these smartphones anyway?

I just got a mojo :) it will be interesting to see how big the difference is between V10/H10 and the mojo. Is on the recommended 10 hour charge now.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #4,595 of 7,916
I forgot! H10 way longer battery life and very fast charging. But no removable battery if that's important. How long are we using these smartphones anyway?

I just got a mojo :) it will be interesting to see how big the difference is between V10/H10 and the mojo. Is on the recommended 10 hour charge now.

Congrats for the mojo. Eagerly waiting to see the difference between the two.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #4,596 of 7,916
Anyone on this thread have much experience listening through Google Play Music? I've got the family sub for my wife and I and it's become just about my sole music source thanks to being able to download whatever I want for offline listening.

I'm really wondering what the best hardware approach is to get the best overall sound, and whether any software can work in tandem with Play Music.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #4,597 of 7,916
Anyone on this thread have much experience listening through Google Play Music? I've got the family sub for my wife and I and it's become just about my sole music source thanks to being able to download whatever I want for offline listening.

I'm really wondering what the best hardware approach is to get the best overall sound, and whether any software can work in tandem with Play Music.

Are you talking some other music player to use to stream stuff from Google play music? I don't think so. I use the family subscription for me, my wife and two kids. The selection is fantastic and the quality is pretty darn good.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #4,599 of 7,916
Hard to believe but damn I envy him. Actually v20 has come to some dealer in my country already but the price is kinda hold me back. ~800 usd

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #4,600 of 7,916
It'll be worth it for me as I tend to keep my phone more than a year. I'm still rocking my LG G2 I bought on 2013.I would've reconsider upgrading from my phone but the software is starting to show its age.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #4,601 of 7,916
Is it a fact that a headphone amplifier like the FiiO E12 could make a headphone sounds better than an "audiophile" smartphone like the V20? Because if that's a fact wouldn't be easier to pick the phone of your choice and "just" use said FiiO E12 amplifier instead of paying $800 for the V20 or any other similar priced phone? Does the V20 provides an extra benefit audio quality wise? If there was a headphone amp+dac reasonable portable I would rather use my smartphone of choice and not restrict my options only to the "audiophile" smartphones...

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #4,603 of 7,916
I'll just leave this here.

And this is why the LG V20 is not coming to Europe. It breaks EU regs on maximum output. Maybe if they didn't bundle it with headphones they could.

Going just loud enough for hip hop at full volume means a bit more may be needed for other less in your face genres. So the Fiio helps there. A better test would be on a more sensitive (but not much) like the Sine or AKG 872. More of a level playing field. I may chose the LG as I haven't heard a Fiio I like yet.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #4,604 of 7,916
  Is it a fact that a headphone amplifier like the FiiO E12 could make a headphone sounds better than an "audiophile" smartphone like the V20? Because if that's a fact wouldn't be easier to pick the phone of your choice and "just" use said FiiO E12 amplifier instead of paying $800 for the V20 or any other similar priced phone? Does the V20 provides an extra benefit audio quality wise? If there was a headphone amp+dac reasonable portable I would rather use my smartphone of choice and not restrict my options only to the "audiophile" smartphones...

Audiophile phone is for those who are into portable right away with their phone. I think there is a demand for them (like me I never find portable dac amp a convenient in real life.)

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4,605 of 7,916

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. It depends on the headphones you will use. HD800S has a high impedance so maybe using it with the V20 can achieve normal listening levels but not driving it to its full potential. He also said he's a basshead so maybe the E12's bass boost is turned on so it sounds better for him. V20 does provide an extra benefit versus average flagships as it have a better quality dac and more powerful amp. Getting a portable dac/amp like OPPO HA-2 + your smartphone of choice is really better if bulkiness and extra cable is not an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back