Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,368 of 7,916
  I take a more pragmatic than purist view of these things but there are a few basics which I'm sure others will expand on:
  1. stick with music you are familiar with, but try to use a variety of styles (female vocal, orchaestral, jazz, it doesn't matter as long as you say)
  2. tell us about the sources (file type, bit rates etc, any amplification, make/model of headphones or IEMs)
  3. try to keep volume at the same level between devices
  4. tell us about any equaliser use
  5. check headfi fora for more detailed discussion on all these 
above all...
  1. remember this IS subjective and your views are perfectly valid whether you regard yourself as audiophile or not

I think we would all appreciate whatever you are willing to do in the way of a review. Don't get intimidated by the idea of some kind of major review. You can just post your impressions of the sound and whether you personally like the sound. It's essentially subjective and it's only your ears that we care about. A comparison with the Touch would be great if you have the time and also the more details you can give about the nature of the sound the better. I think you should just choose your favorite music to listen to rather than trying to listen to a wide range of genres. Although listening to at least a few different types of music would be a good idea. Presumably if you are here you have read at least a few product reviews. Just take note of some of the sound quality adjectives thrown around in such reviews and decide for yourself whether any apply. Warm/cold/detailed/muddy/clear/sparkly etc. Also pay attention to the tonal balance and whether it sounds natural/neutral or EQ boosted or altered in some way. Hopefully you already have headphones or IEMs that are popular here, but definitely specify what you are listening with.

Thanks for the tips guys will let you know when it arrives :) 

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #4,370 of 7,916
Regarding Axon 7 pricing, my guess would be that they added like 100 US$ on top just because the device turned out to look so good.

And they did the same thing with Axon 7 mini just because it looks so much like Axon 7.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,372 of 7,916

The Letv x800 has nearly the same specs aside from the AMOLED display and sells for half that price. How much more expensive could an AMOLED WQHD panel be compared to an IPS LCD WQHD panel? $50 more? $100 more? Take your pick. Either way $400 could be seen as overpriced in comparison and that is just one example. Letv isn't generally very price competitive. If anything they seem to want to compete with Apple more than other Chinese manufacturers. The Meizu Pro 5 and the Vivo X5 Pro are both the same price. The Meizu MX4 Pro has been discontinued I guess but it seems that pricing when it was available was more like $289 to $330. Admittedlly the specs are quite a bit lower on that phone but not because it was a budget phone. It is just old and at the time those specs were comparatively high and expensive for Meizu. I'm only comparing phones that are *known* to be among the best sounding ones and it seems to mostly lose in terms of price. Calling it a 'great value' doens't seem at all justified to me. I think they could sell it for $300 or less and still make a fat profit. I wouldn't go so far as to call it gouging but I don't think calling the pricing aggressive or high value is justified when it isn't cheaper than *any* of their close competitors. The only way to make it look like a good value is to compare it with Apple, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola etc. IOW non-Chinese manufcacturers which are obviously going to be more expensive and for good reason.

The LeTV X800 is quite competetively priced but has one major drawback, no 800 MHz LTE, It has no stereo speakers, seems to lack an NFC and a fingerprint scanner and it uses an older less energy efficient SOC, the 810 instead of the 820. You always pay a premium for such features.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,373 of 7,916
  Regarding Axon 7 pricing, my guess would be that they added like 100 US$ on top just because the device turned out to look so good.

And they did the same thing with Axon 7 mini just because it looks so much like Axon 7.

Arbitrarily adding money to the price doesn't make you more money.  It will usually make you less.  In economics you either charge at the market clearing price, or you don't.  If you don't, you loose money whether it is cheaper or more expensive than that price.

They were clearly setting their sites on competing with the One+ and thus slotted in for the same price point.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #4,375 of 7,916
Sep 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #4,376 of 7,916
@artpiggo
 Did you (or anyone else) had the chance to compare the sound quality of the Le max x900 to ZTE axon 7? I´m starting to hate the Le max, mainly because of the buggy software and abysmal battery life.

Do you install 5.8.17s stable yet?

also, https://community.zteusa.com/thread/12056 zte axon hifi still not compatible with other app.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,377 of 7,916
  Arbitrarily adding money to the price doesn't make you more money.  It will usually make you less.  In economics you either charge at the market clearing price, or you don't.  If you don't, you loose money whether it is cheaper or more expensive than that price.

They were clearly setting their sites on competing with the One+ and thus slotted in for the same price point.

But just copying the prices of your competitors doesn't make you more money either or we wouldn't have price wars would we? Everyone would just collude and all would have the same prices for a given product. Yes in theory there is one exact price that will sell enough units while still keeping the price as high as possible, but figuring out that price is nontrivial. It's possible that ZTE might actually make more money if they actually try to compete with Meizu and Vivo in terms of price and sell the Axon 7 for something like $299 or whatever. Or maybe they would make more money copying whatever Apple is asking for the latest iPhone. They likely don't know and neither do you or I. And this doesn't even get into the value of your relatively new brand getting into as many hands as possible. The higher your price the fewer people are going to buy your product. Full stop.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #4,378 of 7,916

The LeTV X800 is quite competetively priced but has one major drawback, no 800 MHz LTE, It has no stereo speakers, seems to lack an NFC and a fingerprint scanner and it uses an older less energy efficient SOC, the 810 instead of the 820. You always pay a premium for such features.

The 820 is energy efficient? Do you have a link for that? I read the opposite and that it gets quite hot. I wish the SoC manufacturers would start doing octacores with all ARM Cortex A35s. Now that would be energy efficient. I'm not sure I like the 810 or the 820 due to heating and energy efficiency issues. I don't use any demanding apps and I don't play games on Android so I care more about battery life than I do about performance. It seems like the high end flagship SoCs are more about high end performance than battery life. Just look at the those high 2Ghz+ clock speeds they are running at. That can't be good for battery life.

I am eyeing the Letv Cool 1 with its 4000mah battery. Wonder if it has LeHifi chips. I am planning to ask Le Eco which of their models with headphone jacks have/had dedicated dacs and amps. Or maybe someone already knows the answer to that. Do any of them just use the SoC audio I wonder?

BTW you forgot to mention the lack of microSD support. That's a huge drawback for me. It means I basically need a minimum of 32GB ROM and I haven't had the best luck getting my devices into MSC mode in Windows. Very often it seems to default to MTP which I hate. So being able to transfer data by taking out the SD card is important to me. If you have microSD it also means you only have to rely on that tiny and relatively unreliable microUSB port for charging.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #4,379 of 7,916
In terms of pricing I think it's also important to consider the value of hurting your competitors and stealing their customers. Price wars happen for a reason. I'd want to dominate the market as much as possible and make a reputation for myself for quality and high value. Just copying the pricing and specs of your competitors is pure monkey.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #4,380 of 7,916
But just copying the prices of your competitors doesn't make you more money either or we wouldn't have price wars would we? Everyone would just collude and all would have the same prices for a given product. Yes in theory there is one exact price that will sell enough units while still keeping the price as high as possible, but figuring out that price is nontrivial. It's possible that ZTE might actually make more money if they actually try to compete with Meizu and Vivo in terms of price and sell the Axon 7 for something like $299 or whatever. Or maybe they would make more money copying whatever Apple is asking for the latest iPhone. They likely don't know and neither do you or I. And this doesn't even get into the value of your relatively new brand getting into as many hands as possible. The higher your price the fewer people are going to buy your product. Full stop.

LeTV is like Xiaomi in that they cover the cost for the phone by the services they provide ie music streaming, apps and such. More often than not, their phones are actually selling at a loss as they're actively undercutting the competition to push their phones out into the market.

Secondly, it's not true that both phones have the same specs. Storage, screen, camera, LTE bands, quick charge. These are all hidden costs which most common users are unaware of.

For example, LeTV 64GB =/= Axon 7 64 GB.

Axon 7 is using UFS 2.0, which is much faster than eMMC 5.0.

Not only that, Axon 7 has Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. Yes, each SD820 chip is CAPABLE of using this technology, but the manufacturer (ie ZTE) has to pay Qualcomm a fee for each device which will be utilizing thi tech. Notice that Le x800 has the the SD810, which is only one generation earlier than the 820 yet there is no Quick Charge 2.0.

I could go on and on about the other sources for the price difference, but I'll just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back