Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3,916 of 7,916
Guys,

Between iphone 6 and iphone SE is anyone worth buying for sq? My iPhone 4 needs retirement.

Sorry Bro.. You may have to retire the fruit brand if you're looking for SQ
biggrin.gif
.. Joking aside, both phones are great for DAP use.. but if you're looking for SQ, you may have to attach an external DAC/Amp to improve the sound.. Well, it actually depends on what IEMs/Headphones you're going to use.

I am not a fan of using amps and dacs with the phone. I just use iems so those are normally easy to drive. I think it really kill your portability.

I need a phone that sounds very good right out of the box. My iPhone 4 does sound very well and pairs properly with the majority of my iem collection.

Since I use streaming services I really quit pumping music into sd cards. Even my daps were left behind. I really a music addict. Not so much a music hardware fan.

Everyone says the v10 is wonderful but it is huge. How do people you carry it?
For my anything over 4.7inch is big.

Any other suggestions?

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #3,917 of 7,916

Goodness Gracious
eek.gif
 We can make a huge list.. People, feel free to add more!

W
  Your list is so flawless. Do you mind if I add the sound signature details of each phone since I have tried them quite a lot. To make like hall of fame "Audiophile phone"

Meizu Pro 5: Warm Signature with good detail. a bit roll off treble. Slow speed. Decent sweer mid bass. Super good at Vocal and audiophile. While listening to Utada Hikaru, I can feel her whisper so gently. However some metal and EDM is not quite for Pro 5.
Meizu Pro 6: Still in warm tone. smaller soundstage with thinner mid than Pro 5. 
Lenovo Vibe X3: Let's say it has analytical sound signature with tight bass and good impact. extended treble. Faster speed. Good at overall. comparable to LG V10.
Xiaomi Mi Note (Standard/Pro): Mi note Pro is like Lenovo vibe X3. while mi note has lesser bass compared to Pro. Fast Speed. Bright tone
LG V10: Monitoring sound. High Power output but need to activate it by adding resistance adaptor properly. Huge soundstage. good instrument separation.
LeTV Le Max/ Pro (Gen 1) Le Max has highest power output among all phone I test. Speedy. Widest soundstage. can pull up all Micro-detail in song. Impact and bass is overwhelming. extended treble. Instrument separation is also comparable to mid-fi DAP. Overall. God of Rock music. while 5.5" Letv Pro is cheaper and give more relaxing compared to Le Max with wide soundstage and good detail and separation as usual.
Alcatel Flash Plus 2: Just good for its price. doesn't come any close to all list above. It is good for slow song, crystal clear bell. Thin mid and bass impact is not punchy for some song.
Vivo X5 Max: Fun and catchy. Treble Emphasis. can easily make your ear tired. 3D Soundstage. need matching with bass headphone like SONY.
Vivo X5 Pro / Vivo V3 Max : It is Alcatel Flash Plus with better separation.
Vivo Xshot: warm tone. bassier for some songs. but still feel good listening to it.

Correct me if you feel contradict to me on my description. :D

We need to make this sticky!

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #3,919 of 7,916
I am not a fan of using amps and dacs with the phone. I just use iems so those are normally easy to drive. I think it really kill your portability.

I need a phone that sounds very good right out of the box. My iPhone 4 does sound very well and pairs properly with the majority of my iem collection.

Since I use streaming services I really quit pumping music into sd cards. Even my daps were left behind. I really a music addict. Not so much a music hardware fan.

Everyone says the v10 is wonderful but it is huge. How do people you carry it?
For my anything over 4.7inch is big.

Any other suggestions?

The Marshall London is 4.7".. www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_europe_en/london-phone

It's pretty rare these days to find a decent sounding smartphone under 5". I guess your other option is to go ahead with an iPhone + high-end IEMs + Equalizer. I think that would maximize the audio capability of an iPhone.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,920 of 7,916
I'm late to the party, so this may have already been said, but why not go for the LG V10? It's got a decent DAC inside it.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #3,921 of 7,916
I wish I knew why Google Play services sucks up so much battery life on the G5...

My recent journey out concluded with this...

Location services are stitched off FWIW.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,922 of 7,916

iPhone + high-end IEMs + Equalizer.

I would not recommend using equalizer at all: it distorts sound rather than improves it - it kind of improves something in one part, but ****s up in another one :) There are some more intelligent tools to improve sound of iphone. I used Xciter and was quite happy.

I am not a fan of using amps and dacs with the phone.

BTW, why are you so against external DAC? Sometimes it looks pretty nice and even extends your battery capacity and does not add much to the total size. For instance, ARCAM.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #3,924 of 7,916
I think he's looking for a phone around 4.7" screen size or smaller. The v10 is larger than average.....to put it mildly, lol.

Yeah, never mind then. HTC still has some of the best mobile DACs around, and the HTC 10 is ~5.0" if I remember correctly.

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #3,926 of 7,916
anyone here using the meizu pro 5 as a daily driver? besides the supposedly excellent audio quality, how's the phone? any annoyances, major bugs? isn't the menu key missing?

The only annoyance from using this phone is you cant turn back to use any other brands in market happily.

It has micro sd slot, decent camera though not come close to flagship samsung but still great. Ui is so smooth cannot find bug or lag but it depends on fw as well. You can just downgrade if found bug. Great support on firmware from company dev team. Now my dealer said "sorry as of now we can never find this phone cuz the high demand all over the world"

I think this will guarantee if you want to have one. Maybe from aliexpress. Trust me i've used once and everything is so good that make me feel missing it. I regret selling it for the time being.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,928 of 7,916
  I would not recommend using equalizer at all: it distorts sound rather than improves it - it kind of improves something in one part, but ****s up in another one :) There are some more intelligent tools to improve sound of iphone. I used Xciter and was quite happy.

Absolutely true. But actually, when I said "equalizer", what I meant was all kinds of software audio enhancement
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #3,929 of 7,916
Anyone else here using the LG G5 + B&O Play DAC?
Quite a few of us - Combining with UAPP (which sounds better than the stock 'Hi-Fi Plus' mode), it doesn't shame itself at all when running with the JH Laylas (what I have on right this second)...

Amazing really, what can be squeezed out of a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back