Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #3,886 of 7,916
Hi, guys, decided to buy earbuds for my vivo x6 plus in addition to full sized headphones. So came to audioshop, listening to various earbuds and also compared my impressions to a couple of players, FIIO x5 and AK 100 II.
Conclusions:
1) I can't stand how dynamic headphones sound: too much bass and hum. So my choice brought me to balanced armature, without questions;
2) my listening experience finally brought me to 2 variants, Dunu 2000j and Grado gr10, latter I liked more, sound was more meaty;
3) funny - I have not noticed a big difference between my Vivo and AK 100 II. Do I guess I will never go for a better portable source than good smartphone...
Maybe AK 240 is noticeably better, but I won't pay such money, hehe...

As I always state out, The gap between HIFI smartphone and Mid fi DAP is closer every year. (In case you don't use Full-Size) Just IEM or earbud, Hifi smartphone is more than enough.

I once bought AK240 using for 2 months. Then I compare between Letv Max and AK240.... I sell AK240 without any hesitation. AK240 is better quality but...well Letv Max doesn't make me feel any regret or disappoint on SQ anyway.

The only DAP in the market I love its sound is QP1R but same story, it can't do streaming so it is no-go for me. If only DP-X1 has sound like QP1R, I wouldn't be in vicious cycle of Hifi smartphone anyway LOL

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,887 of 7,916
i have a question about dac in 2 phones ( which is not clear at all )

Does lenovo vibe x3 lite has a DAC ? on some sites is not mentioned on others is Sarbre, on others is wolfson on others is texas instruments  
confused.gif
 , pretty sure he got dolby atmos software implementation but can't find a reliable source on what are its hardware specs 

also LeTV x600, does it have a dac? on some sites is mentioned to have one, on others it doesn't seems to 

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #3,888 of 7,916

I agree.  This is the holy grail of audio quality evaluation.  Funny, however, how many don't like flat, uncoloured, playback, and will subjectively favour a more dirty, v-shaped response curve.

BTW, where did you find the measurement data for the Note 5?  Is it also available for the S6 and S7?  Better yet, have you come across any for the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser (for purely selfish reasons)?  I've tended to rely loosely on GSM Arena's audio tests, but these aren't always available.

Thanks in advance.

... right then.  Bullsh*t it is. :wink:

???

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #3,889 of 7,916
Seems almost like a crime to say this, however the JH Laylas (now mine have had the cable replaced) sound damned good out of the B&O module of the G5 - I swear this must be one of the most undervalued devices going :)

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #3,890 of 7,916
Close to zx2 on it's own or also with the mojo? I've read the mojo is suppose to sound a decent amount better than g5+b&o/v10

I prefer the b&o play module to the zx2... sound wise plus it drives full sized headphones no problem.

As for differences between the mojo and the LG plus the hifi module.... very small.

The b&o play module can be brought for around £100, that's a tremendous bargain!!!!

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,891 of 7,916
I am so tempted to buy a b&o g5 friend module, if I didn't have the v10 I would buy one, their so cheap.

But then I'd end up looking for a g5, oh we'll, got one hand holding the other from purchasing this darn thing.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #3,892 of 7,916
I prefer the b&o play module to the zx2... sound wise plus it drives full sized headphones no problem.

As for differences between the mojo and the LG plus the hifi module.... very small.

The b&o play module can be brought for around £100, that's a tremendous bargain!!!!

I would say the sound quality, for me, is definitely comparable. I still prefer the sound signature of the ZX2 but the HiFi module definitely holds its own. And the convenience factor is huge for me. It's been weeks since I've pulled my ZX2 or DP-X1 off the shelf. I've been going back and forth with the HTC 10 and the LG G5 + module. I think I've finally settled on the G5. At least til the V20 is released. Then I start to travel down this road anew :tired_face:.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #3,893 of 7,916
Today I have opportunity to try B&O module connect to my Letv Max

Good Point is that B&O module make the transparent area to each instrument in the band. make separation better and feel more relaxing but I don't see any wider but I feel a little depth in soundstage.

However I test with V6S + Brimar Sup Ref cable, I still prefer direct connect to Letv Max and Meizu Pro 5. I would say it is slight difference but not huge ladder to summit.

But when I tested with Note 5, The sound become super better than ever.

The other good point is that there is no need installation of any driver in phone. we can just connect with any phones via stock cable and adapter (for type c phone). the sound can bypass every single app including Neutron and Youtube.

Conclusion: I think this module is suitable for those who are not in to HIFI-claimed smartphone. But if you are using TOTL vivo meizu letv, I think you can use this budget to upgrade amp or headphone is a better option.

Disclaimer: This review is subjective by me. Don't trust me 100%. Just try by yourselves. I respect all comments.

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #3,894 of 7,916
I got the Lenovo Vibe X3 since last Monday. Am I happy with my purchase? Yes, I am. I have not compared the phone with all possible combinations I have in my possession but I can say it's much better than my LG G3. Bass has more authority and is more defined. Treble is more extended and at the same time not harsh. Cymbals for instance have now this subtle shimmer which was lacking on the LG G3. Separation is definitely better. Difficult to say whether soundstage was improved. Probably more or less the same.

The strange thing is that I didn't like the sound signature when using the Turbo Hifi on. It adds some artificial bloom to the sound which seems at first hearing very attractive but gets annoying after a while. Things fell into place without Turbo Hifi on. The artificialness disappears and now I know I will never switch on Turbo Hifi again.

Have other users the same experience? Is this Turbo Hifi just some EQ-like thing without altering the electronic circuit? And this is the main question: is the phone using all audio capabilities without the Turbo on? I hope someone can enlighten me.

By the way, the sound coming from the small speakers is amazing. The body of the sound defies the size of the phone. Bass is of course lacking but the rest of the spectrum is there with a realistic presence.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #3,895 of 7,916
With HTC M8 and Koss KSC75 I was really satisfied but I had to say goodbye for the non replaceable battery. My current Xiaomi Redmi note 2 is not much fun. What is a phone that doesn't cost a fortune like V10, Meizu pro but have decent sound? Shame on consumer philosophy!! O___O

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #3,897 of 7,916
With HTC M8 and Koss KSC75 I was really satisfied but I had to say goodbye for the non replaceable battery. My current Xiaomi Redmi note 2 is not much fun. What is a phone that doesn't cost a fortune like V10, Meizu pro but have decent sound? Shame on consumer philosophy!! O___O

Letv le 1 pro is best pound per pound smartphone

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #3,898 of 7,916
Waiting for V20 to launch within a month. Quad DAC damn it! Will compare it with DP-X1 and if it sounds better I'll keep it as DAP only. The great advantage I see over the Onkyo is that I could throw a data SIM card in it and get streaming without tethering with the phone. Getting 35 GB of G4 data a month that I use it or loose it.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #3,900 of 7,916
Letv le 1 pro is best pound per pound smartphone

The big problem is that this is not the case in 90% of the places on Earth. Chinese phones are very hard to find except a few places. So they are priced accordingly (pretty high).

It's actually the big shame for us that care about sound. The good stuff is just not well distributed and ends up being more expensive than necessary. (this is not just about phones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back