Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,957 of 7,916
I currently own a Galaxy S6 and for my next phone I am hesitant beetwen the xiaomi mi5 and meizu pro 6 (can find both for 340 euros where I live) since the HTC 10 is definetely out of budget.
I have read the last 20 pages of this thread and it seems like the V10 is the undiscussed king followed by the Meizu pro 5. The problem is that I don't want a phone a way too big.

My S6 sounds pretty good so I'm not even sure if the MI5 (<-- seems as one of the bests on GSMArena) or the PRO 6 (heard that it's worse than PRO 5) would sound better.
so, since it's not an issue, I plan to buy an usb dac (100 eur black dragonfly) to use pretty much everywhere (PC, Phone).

It should sound the same regardless of the device I use it on and should sound better than any phone out there (v10 aswell), right?

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,958 of 7,916
Every smartphones can have good DAC chip inside....these guys are only $45 each if they buy it separately.....since they bought it in hundred thousands.....they must be $30 or less :D. Then, does it matter ? No, what matter would be how it was engineered, implemented, and real life performances

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,959 of 7,916
Every smartphones can have good DAC chip inside....these guys are only $45 each if they buy it separately.....since they bought it in hundred thousands.....they must be $30 or less :D. Then, does it matter ? No, what matter would be how it was engineered, implemented, and real life performances

Yes, the cost of the chip is low. I use hifimediy's external one. Plugs into the micro USB is small. Works like a dream.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,960 of 7,916
Hmm... but if you amplify lousy sound - you will get amplified lousy sound, won't you? :wink:
Or you mean different DACs used in audiophile smartphones do not differ a lot and it's more like marketing?

Mean different dac. My experiment is when i try different dac keep same amp I can tell difference less than changing amp while keeping same dac(like changing amp module in some dap)

So i believe that if it is just dedicated dac enough, it is all same good and depend much more on amp, clock and circuit design.

Regards,
Art

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,961 of 7,916
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I could get some advice.

My iPod Classic recently died, and I'm considering an Android phone as a replacement.
My requirements are:
  1. Audio quality
  2. Expandable storage
  3. Not too large (iPhone 5-ish size would be nice)
  4. $250-ish (Anything more and it would cost around the same to get my iPod fixed)

I also have a Nexus 6P for all my smartphone needs, so I'm looking to buy a device that will be exclusively used for audio playback.

So far, the Xperia Z3 Compact and HTC One Mini 2 seem to fit my criteria.
I'm wondering if anyone has input on these devices or recommendations for others that fit my criteria.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #2,964 of 7,916
  I've posted a review of the Vivo XPlay 5 with a comparison to the HTC 10 and LG V10 if anyone is interested in reading:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/810362/vivo-xplay-5-review-very-impressive-audio

Thanks. Very interesting

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #2,965 of 7,916
  Hi guys, I'm wondering if I could get some advice.

My iPod Classic recently died, and I'm considering an Android phone as a replacement.
My requirements are:
  1. Audio quality
  2. Expandable storage
  3. Not too large (iPhone 5-ish size would be nice)
  4. $250-ish (Anything more and it would cost around the same to get my iPod fixed)

I also have a Nexus 6P for all my smartphone needs, so I'm looking to buy a device that will be exclusively used for audio playback.

So far, the Xperia Z3 Compact and HTC One Mini 2 seem to fit my criteria.
I'm wondering if anyone has input on these devices or recommendations for others that fit my criteria.

Thanks in advance!

For starters, phone audio sucks, it just does, iPhone, HTC, Xperia, (I've not heard V10 but doubt it's all that great but probably a step in the right direction???).

A prominent audiophile in my town says "When it comes to audio we live in an impoverished world", I don't know if that's him or if he's quoting someone else but he's right unless you're willing to hunt down hi-res files vinyl and spend big bucks on equipment.

Anyway

I have the Z3 and it can be relatively good audio but took a bit of time and effort, its first problem is matching the correct headphones/earbuds to it (low output, unknown impedance).  I'm inclined to think the poorest reviews of audio are because of poorly matched earbuds/cans because I mean we're comparing phone audio it's like which one sucks less and seems like volume and data sheets are of the biggest concerns here (proper evaluation in my opinion is best setup vs best setup everything audio is about synergy and personal preference, does the M8 and poweramp with Sennheiser's beat the iPhone with ____ and AudioTechnica??? (I don't know if those are good matches but hopefully you get the point)).  The Z3 matches up nicely with relatively high efficiency drivers, that seem to be the key.  When it comes to matching the impedance I'm uncertain of that but some Sony earphones are in the 40-60ohm range, all my earphones are in the 32 to 60ohm range and all provide a different sound signature, with the Phonaks it's really detailed airy good PRaT focus, with Westones it's smooth, thick laid-back tone warm more mid bass, with AudioTechnica it's good bass crisper forward...etc you get the idea.  Matching equipment is important, and with good matching cans the Z3 is just as good as an iPhone or HTC.

second problem; Sony music player is not the best (Just my opinion but lows are muddied and loss of dynamics and I think I hear a hear a distortion that kind of passes off as added harsh detail), so there's an improvement with Neutron player (64-bit processing) over other players, (I think the Z3 is supposed to have a dual DAC chip, which I'm not sure how it's implemented because I believe the snapdragon SOC chip is part of it, could just be some misinformation floating around about this but the 64-bit processing with Neutron does an improvement, cleaner more focused and more dynamic sound, better IMHO in all areas i think...)

Also is still a phone so don't expect SET tube amp bliss, all phones sound like digital/SS to me and I can only stand them for so long, but the Sony Z3 is definitely not the worst if used properly also it doesn't sound as good cold about an hour to warm it up, gets a more liquid and less digital/SS sound if you can play it for an hour before listening to it so cold listening could be problem #3, but I find this with most SS devices need some time to warm up, not all but most I'd say.

Sorry for the rant, I like the phone, I'm happy with it.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,966 of 7,916

For starters, phone audio sucks, it just does, iPhone, HTC, Xperia, (I've not heard V10 but doubt it's all that great but probably a step in the right direction???).

Maybe a few generations ago, but devices like the V10 (that you dismiss without hearing), HTC 10, and others actually have exceptional audio quality (with the same kind of hardware in the dedicated DAP).  My V10 blew away my X5 when it came to my Senn HD650, both in terms of SQ and usability. Current gen phones have really made a big leap, and it is worth taking a second look at them; people aren't ranting about them without cause

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,967 of 7,916
  Maybe a few generations ago, but devices like the V10 (that you dismiss without hearing), HTC 10, and others actually have exceptional audio quality (with the same kind of hardware in the dedicated DAP).  My V10 blew away my X5 when it came to my Senn HD650, both in terms of SQ and usability. Current gen phones have really made a big leap, and it is worth taking a second look at them; people aren't ranting about them without cause

I can confirm that s7 audio sucks, the same goes with lg g4

have not heard v10 but I doubt it's very good. Besides v10 is massive and very awkward to handle, not to mention it's expensive and not available in many countries.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #2,968 of 7,916
  I can confirm that s7 audio sucks, the same goes with lg g4

have not heard v10 but I doubt it's very good. Besides v10 is massive and very awkward to handle, not to mention it's expensive and not available in many countries.

So, again, despite having excellent grade ESS DAC and AMP, and not hearing it, you outright dismiss it... ok.....
It has happily replaced my X5, in that it both sounds better and drives my headphones harder. I admit that a dedicated may be "better" (though, without hearing it, i am not sure how much better, given a majority of the hardware is the same).  And if you really doubt, just read one of several V10 threads.. its not just me loving the phone.

AS it is, those other phones you mentioned are NOT ones revered for their audio quality, nor were one of the ones i mentioned, so i dont see why you are bringing them up.  Ill grant that the size and handling of a phone like th V10 is more subjective, but it happily replaced my S6 with no problem, but YMMV...

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #2,969 of 7,916
  As the price of the "audiophile" flagship LeTv x800 plummeted to a bargain low 174$ (4GBram/64GBrom model), anybody knows how good is it's sound compared to other popular choices from this thread?

It is very good choice. This phone matches with high impedance cans perfectly. Neutron music app is  the best matching app. The bottom line is good clarity and impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back