Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,477 of 7,916
Does someone have a htc 10, lg v10 and samsung s7 (edge) to compare?

Had the lg v10, still have it, but as a daily driver it isn't suitable for me. Literally to big for my hands and the battery is a joke for such a beast device (I don't like to switch my batteries. Hoping that lg will feature hotswapping in the future). Also edge screen on s7 is pretty useful, thougt first it is only aesthetically and gimmicky, but it proofed me wrong. With poweramp alpha build 700+ it is a pleasing feature to change eq preference and going to options.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,478 of 7,916
Apr 15, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,479 of 7,916
Am I the only one curious about the sound of xiaomi mi 5? did anyone had a chance to test ?
gsmarena has a very positive opinion about it's sound, it has WCD9335 DAC which supports Hi-Fi 24bit @ 192kHz Audio and native FLAC decoding, but not sure about the amplifier, how it compares to the likes of s7 and htc a9 or even htc 10 ?

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2,480 of 7,916
Am I the only one curious about the sound of xiaomi mi 5? did anyone had a chance to test ?
gsmarena has a very positive opinion about it's sound, it has WCD9335 DAC which supports Hi-Fi 24bit @ 192kHz Audio and native FLAC decoding, but not sure about the amplifier, how it compares to the likes of s7 and htc a9 or even htc 10 ?

That is the typical last generation Snapdragon DAC. They can be considered high-res as long as they fit in the frequency respond and the 16-24 bit requirement :D...how do they sound is another matter, yet amp is important but the DAC is even more so....I think HtC 10 uses this DAC. Last time I checked, not many people like snapdragon dac

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,481 of 7,916

The technology on those earphones was pretty amazing, if not revolutionary. I actually bought them but then returned them unopened b/c that was RIGHT around the time I began my journey into the Hi-Fi world. lol But yeah...... they had these microphones on the outside of them that would RECORD the noise going around you, and then it would apply this algorithm to produce a sound that was like the "complete opposite" of what you were hearing, thereby effectively cancelling out the noise going on (see attached). I mean, that's pretty cool if you think about it.

But I wanted more.......... so I'm here now. lol 

So... noise cancelling :D All noise cancelling headphones apply the same principle. Nothing special about it at all.

Note: there is feedback (mics inside the cup) and feedforward (mics outside) noise cancelling. Different processing methods, but the same high level principle applies of generating a wave with opposite phase.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #2,482 of 7,916

As i test my friend mi5. The sound is so-so if you not turn on EQ but I need to admit that xiaomi has EQ and DSP technology which is quite good compared to other brand. Xiaomi mi note pro still on the top of its product line in SQ.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #2,483 of 7,916
So... noise cancelling :D All noise cancelling headphones apply the same principle. Nothing special about it at all.

Note: there is feedback (mics inside the cup) and feedforward (mics outside) noise cancelling. Different processing methods, but the same high level principle applies of generating a wave with opposite phase.

Well now maybe. But 2 years ago it wasn't so much. I could care less about using NC earphones or headphones honestly, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the technology.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #2,484 of 7,916
As i test my friend mi5. The sound is so-so if you not turn on EQ but I need to admit that xiaomi has EQ and DSP technology which is quite good compared to other brand. Xiaomi mi note pro still on the top of its product line in SQ.

That is the typical last generation Snapdragon DAC. They can be considered high-res as long as they fit in the frequency respond and the 16-24 bit requirement
biggrin.gif
...how do they sound is another matter, yet amp is important but the DAC is even more so....I think HtC 10 uses this DAC. Last time I checked, not many people like snapdragon dac

Thanks guys, really appreciated your feedback, can u tell me how it compares to htc's & samsung s7 as I have to buy a new phone and sound quality / volume / bass level is my main concern

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,485 of 7,916
Well now maybe. But 2 years ago it wasn't so much. I could care less about using NC earphones or headphones honestly, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the technology.

What are you talking about? Bose patented noise cancelling technology in 1985... http://www.google.com.hk/patents/US4644581

Whatever came after are variations on the same principle.

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #2,487 of 7,916
  Most products have a year warranty. At the moment tossing up between the meizu mx4pro and the xiaomi note 3 or the xiaomi mi4c.

dont buy xiaomi.. they have removed all high end audio parts from their phones now.. note pro is the one where they are using high end DAC

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,488 of 7,916
I am on vacation at Taiwan and get to test HTC10 already.

My unique opinion on SQ(boomsound technology)

1. Power output is so low that I need to increase the volume as equal to samsung s4.

2. It is good at mid until sub bass but on treble area it fails so badly.

3. Just a small 3D headstage. Not so big nor wide nor deep.

4. However, watching movie is good cuz it has impact in sub bass

5. Speaker is very good loud.

6. EDM and some orchestra is decent. But other genre is so-so.

In summary, with the price at 700$, it fails in most aspect.

Sorry if this message irritates HTC fans.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,489 of 7,916
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back