Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,371 of 7,916
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying me an audiophile smartphone.
Sound quality is the highest decision criterion.
From what I have read Meizu Pro 5 should be one of the best audiophile smartphones.
However, I have just read in this thread, that the SQ of smartphones could not be as good as the SQ of DAPs.
Since I like also Tidal Hifi Service to use, I have to make a descision between Meizu Pro 5 and a DAP, Fiio X7.

Is there any experience regarding sound quality of Meizu Pro 5 compared to Fiio X7?

Kind Regards

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,372 of 7,916
maybe i'm just saying too short. i know it never come close to DAP. i just mean the tonal sound signature compared with some dap cuz it is easier to visualize. so let me describe more.

meizu is good at low freq warm tone, vocal best, and 3D soundstage, not extended treble.

xiaomi is good at treble clarity but vocal is too thin and forwarded compared to other two.

Letv is slightly warm tone with better instrumental separation and best micro detail ever.

i would take ur recommendation. feel free to warn me.

Are you using Le max pro? If yes, how is the sound compared to the Pro 5? How is camera and battery life? Does it have dedicated DAC/AMP? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #2,373 of 7,916
Are you using Le max pro? If yes, how is the sound compared to the Pro 5? How is camera and battery life? Does it have dedicated DAC/AMP? Thanks.

No i am still using letv max.

I think max pro still not on sale yet at least in my country. But speaking of dac amp, it should be same as Letv max which i use.

For Letv max vs Meizu Pro 5
Battery life meizu is 10% better.
Camera letv is better since it has OIS while meizu don't.
UI is both beautiful and quite stable so far.

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #2,374 of 7,916
  Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying me an audiophile smartphone.
Sound quality is the highest decision criterion.
From what I have read Meizu Pro 5 should be one of the best audiophile smartphones.
However, I have just read in this thread, that the SQ of smartphones could not be as good as the SQ of DAPs.
Since I like also Tidal Hifi Service to use, I have to make a descision between Meizu Pro 5 and a DAP, Fiio X7.

Is there any experience regarding sound quality of Meizu Pro 5 compared to Fiio X7?

Kind Regards

I have had several daps including fiio x5 and meizu pro 5 is comfortably better than it

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,375 of 7,916
I no longer want to touch any comment about smartphone not being able to hang out with mid-tier DAP....because such comment is only valid 2-3 years ago. Now, whoever brings that up, it is like he was a time traveler who happened to make use of a time machine to fast forward to the future, but his mind is stuck on the past technologies :D

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2,376 of 7,916
Well, to put it into perspective:

All my comparisons with an input switcher and playing volume matched - same track - switching back and forth - did show only tiny differences (to MY ears). HOWEVER!

Once you have some special headphones, like the ultra low impedance SE846 or power hungry cans - the mobile phones disappoint. But with the majority of in ears and easy to drive headphones - they are just as good.

So, in the end I think the one thing that is limiting for phones usually is the amp part - not the DAC part. 

Cheers.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #2,378 of 7,916
I no longer want to touch any comment about smartphone not being able to hang out with mid-tier DAP....because such comment is only valid 2-3 years ago. Now, whoever brings that up, it is like he was a time traveler who happened to make use of a time machine to fast forward to the future, but his mind is stuck on the past technologies :D

couldn't agree more! :D

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,379 of 7,916
New devices from VIVO !!

The devices both come with an even better audio hardware than their predecessors. The smaller X6S is equipped with an AKM4375 32-bit DAC, while the bigger X6S Plus has a ES9028 DAC within a YAMAHA YSS-205X audio processor at its disposal (the same that is used in the vivo X5Max).

http://www.gsmarena.com/upgraded_vivo_x6s_and_x6s_plus_are_now_official-news-17549.php

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #2,381 of 7,916
Mar 31, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,382 of 7,916
Sony z3 was my current phone planning yo upgrade as well although i was looking for an upgrade either one of those phone chinese maker or wait for an lg g5 coming out next month.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,383 of 7,916
  Hi, is the Xperia Z3 still good phone to buy, or are there better options for the money today?

Yes it's still a not good but great phone to buy! It offers a lot of great features, including being one of the best phones out there sound-quality wise. Made with a premium body (metal and glass back), it offers dual stereo front-facing speakers, a great camera (especially in manual mode), fantastic battery life, and a very clear UI. 

You can also do what I'm going to do, which is wait 'til this June (hopefully sooner) when Sony releases the Xperia X Performance. It won't have 4K recording capability like the Z3, but it will offer improvements in camera, battery life, processing speed, sound quality (i.e. the addition of LDAC), water/dust resistance without the need for flaps over the USB ports, fingerprint sensor (imbedded into side oval-shaped Power button), etc. The X Performance will have a metal body, no glass on back. 

I had the Z3 and am trying out the new Samsung Galaxy S7. It's a great phone overall, but I just don't like it as much as I do Sony's phones. So when the X Performance is released, I will be going back to Sony once again. 

P.S. If you DO get the Z3 or X Performance, or any Sony phone, I highly recommend 1) Keeping Stamina Mode off (only available on the Z3, not X Performance). It is buggy and caused lots of problems for me. 2) I found an app that does what Stamina Mode does but BETTER and without the issues SM caused. It's called 360 Hibernation Master. Get it, buy the full $1.95 version, and activate it (all 3 sections and main on/off switch). It will make your battery life BEYOND amazing. (Note: This app DOES not work on Samsung phones, only Sony as far as I know. Haven't tested it on LG, HTC, Motorola, etc.) 3) Disable the stock texting app on any Sony phone you get and instead use Google Messenger. Much better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back