Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,041 of 7,916
The output power is sufficient to get maximum volume, but (IMO) the reactivity of membranes is not efficient without an amp.

Most headfiers in this thread are not "audiophile level 100", as long as a smartphone provides good SQ and decent amp module, there won't be complaint.

In fact, some dedicated amp/dac devices have been made to improve SQ and power output of a smartphone. Stacking things over is not ideal OTG considering that 95% of smartphones have a touch screen, the rubber bands will be an issue.

This is why devices such as the M9 exist :blush:

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #2,042 of 7,916
Why waste money on headphone then to begin with?

it doesn't matter if there's "enough volume", 300Ohm headphones simply aren't made to be powered by casual smartphones like M9 without external AMP nor will they'll even come close to their potential.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,043 of 7,916
I can see that people are focusing on upcoming devices, that's good but we should focus and discuss on what we have available right now. S7, IPhone 7, M10, G5 will have their moment of glory. Their manufacturers won't change anything based on what we can dream here, however hi-res audio in smartphones seems to gain popularity, in comparison to past years. We can expect great improvements in 2016.

agreed on the hi res growth...hope it moves over to streaming too with higher bit transmissions.

and i think when an audipphile quality smartphone is paired with a Chord Mojo and/or one of the newer Dragonflys to be soon released, it'll just ramp things up even more with the various more powerful cans you will be able to hook up to them.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,044 of 7,916
Audio might be improving, but unfortunately the biggest part of it is still all about marketing ( "our phone can now play 192khz files!") and cheap tricks like Dolby or SRS surround to appeal for the masses and make a good first impression.

I like more the way Apple approaches this. They don't brag about it, but for ages now they laptops have superior functioning DACs to most competitors while iPhones can STILL easily compete with the most audiophile sounding Android out there. That's the case even though Apple didn't revise their approach on SQ for ages nor they were introducing or advertising any big changes/improvements in the DAC department for the last several years.

Oh, and what on earth Google is thinking not really supporting AAC over A2DP and dropping MP3 (over A2DP) on Android? Or they simply don't care since most people don't know anything about it therefore they are ok on the marketing point of view?

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2,045 of 7,916
Why waste money on headphone then to begin with?

it doesn't matter if there's "enough volume", 300Ohm headphones simply aren't made to be powered by casual smartphones like M9 without external AMP nor will they'll even come close to their potential.

I'm asking this question too cause , some headfiers asked about the ability of driving 250 ohms + headphones from the headphone out. AFAIK, only a couple of them have this ability but for sure not the way it should.

a. Meizu Pro 5
b. Meizu MX Pro 4
c. Htc One M9
d. LG V10

Even if these 4 devices can power hard-to-drive cans, it won't be at full capacity to please the most demanding audiophiles, but at least if they have a proper desktop setup, then the headphones can be used occasionally on their smartphones as well. If they don't have a setup, it will be useless investing in 100 ohms + headphones.

I remember having some issues to drive my Koss Portapro (60 ohms) through usual mp3 players, a decade ago (2003-2006). It was painful to a point that I had to invest in flagship ipod devices and Nokia music editions, which were the only mobile devices compatible with cans of up to 100 ohms.

A smartphone is not meant to replace any dedicated dap/dac or amp. It can only be used as a backup on the go, the same reflexion applies regarding the camera modules. An all-in-one device does not focus on any specific function, we can only expect decent performances without being too demanding.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #2,046 of 7,916
I'm asking this question too cause , some headfiers asked about the ability of driving 250 ohms + headphones from the headphone out. AFAIK, only a couple of them have this ability but for sure not the way it should.

a. Meizu Pro 5
b. Meizu MX Pro 4
c. Htc One M9
d. LG V10

Even if these 4 devices can power hard-to-drive cans, it won't be at full capacity to please the most demanding audiophiles, but at least if they have a proper desktop setup, then the headphones can be used occasionally on their smartphones as well. If they don't have a setup, it will be useless investing in 100 ohms + headphones.

I remember having some issues to drive my Koss Portapro (60 ohms) through usual mp3 players, a decade ago (2003-2006). It was painful to a point that I had to invest in flagship ipod devices and Nokia music editions, which were the only mobile devices compatible with cans of up to 100 ohms.

A smartphone is not meant to replace any dedicated dap/dac or amp. It can only be used as a backup on the go, the same reflexion applies regarding the camera modules. An all-in-one device does not focus on any specific function, we can only expect decent performances without being too demanding.

Couldn't agree more

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #2,047 of 7,916

a. Meizu Pro 5
b. Meizu MX Pro 4
c. Htc One M9
d. LG V10

I pretty much agree with your statement, but tell that to the general public.

I'm definitely not an audiophile and just recently been drawn back into the headphone universe...due to the LG V10.
I have no external DAC or amp, but enjoy the excellent audio with PowerAmp Alpha and Tidal via the LG V10.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #2,048 of 7,916
I pretty much agree with your statement, but tell that to the general public.

I'm definitely not an audiophile and just recently been drawn back into the headphone universe...due to the LG V10.
I have no external DAC or amp, but enjoy the excellent audio with PowerAmp Alpha and Tidal via the LG V10.

One question about Tidal:
The downloaded files for offline use; are they playable trough a third-party app such as PowerAmp and are they visible/ accessable through a file explorer?

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,049 of 7,916
Portable audio has been taken into the next level with the new generation chips of DAC and Op-amps. These chips are more compacts while having much more processing power + amplification powers, and that they need little supports from implementations, external capacitors and power sources. These chips are being marketed strongly by ESS SABRES line. Think of these Chips as a "miniature decoder and amplifier" being micro printed and shielded by the shell.

Example of V10 with the combination, and the Onkyo player DP-X1. Both of these has fairly simple implementations

We are in the golden age of miniature electrical components and technologies, in a transparent stage where graphene will come into play at the end of this century and eliminate many other components....but non the less.

Even Flash memory can now be stacked and provide terabyte of capacity...lol

There is no doubt that a smartphone can also be a high-end DAP, interferences can be eliminated by using what Inkyo does, separate and shield the DAC+AMP away from CPU and wifi/Bluetooth/radio components. Ofcourse, the better shielding = better quality.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,050 of 7,916

One question about Tidal:
The downloaded files for offline use; are they playable trough a third-party app such as PowerAmp and are they visible/ accessable through a file explorer?

maxjstern,

Tidal is capable to play offline content that has been saved offline, but only via Tidal app player.
I was not able to locate any of the files in File Manager on the V10...so I'm unsure if it is possible.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,053 of 7,916
X6 plus from Vivo should be stacking the newest ESS Sabres DAC and amps
biggrin.gif

If to believe specs, it has ES9603 amplifier + ES9028 DAC. Or they deceived me... :)

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #2,055 of 7,916
Hi,

I just want to say, that BlackBerry Z30 + Neutron Music Player + Havi B3 Pro1/Shure SRH440 is my portable dream come true. This phone is sounding pretty awesome!
L3000.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back