Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,996 of 7,916
  Hello everyone.  I'm a long time lurker, first time posting here.  I'm trying to deciding what to use.

I currently have two phones.

Sony Xperia Z3:  Used this from since it was released in North America at T-Mobile.

HTC One M9:  Got this for free

My Gear:  VMODA M100, Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear, Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears, Sennheiser HD598SE (use this on Receiver)

After using the HTC for the first time, I noticed right off the bat that this phone has a great AMP compared to the Z3.  It powers up my VMODA M100 amazingly.  The Z3 has done wonder but it a little low on output power.  It did however power up my old Sennheiser Momentum Over Ears very well, I sold them because the inner ear was too small for me.

Now my question is, out of these two, which one has the best SQ?

I know some have mentioned the LG V10 has the best DAC/AMP combo but I can't really notice a difference when using my M100 or Momentum in ears, it is because the DAC/AMP is only limited to the stock player?  My wife owns the V10 if you are wondering.

Thank you everyone.

HTC One has better SQ technically. (gsmarena review)Soft mods are highly recommended. (Viper4Android, DragonFi, etc...)
The Loudness and the speakers are the main advantages. For more alternating of sound, you can always use Poweramp, one of the best players/decoders.

A big contestant for best DAC/Amp combo are also the LeTV Pro or Max models and of course the Meizu Pro5...but if you are living in the US, no chinese Phone is going to be that practical as these do not support the country´s LTE bands (as 'Murica wants to have his own special things - as always).

For the V10, there is a simple "DAC-fix" app or program, so it is always on. :wink:

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #1,997 of 7,916

HTC One has better SQ technically. (gsmarena review)Soft mods are highly recommended. (Viper4Android, DragonFi, etc...)
The Loudness and the speakers are the main advantages. For more alternating of sound, you can always use Poweramp, one of the best players/decoders.

A big contestant for best DAC/Amp combo are also the LeTV Pro or Max models and of course the Meizu Pro5...but if you are living in the US, no chinese Phone is going to be that practical as these do not support the country´s LTE bands (as 'Murica wants to have his own special things - as always).

For the V10, there is a simple "DAC-fix" app or program, so it is always on. :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Rooting my HTC, haven't done rooting since I owned the HTC Evo 3D, lol.  I use to use poweramp, now I'm using Neutron.  The EQ on Neutron is just better when comparing to Poweramp IMO.

So as far as Non-Rooted phones.  The M9 is your pick?  The battery does suck compared to the Z3.

I was reading up on that Meizu Pro5, love it but like you mentioned about the lack of LTE bands in the USA :frowning2:.   

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,998 of 7,916
Hello everyone.  I'm a long time lurker, first time posting here.  I'm trying to deciding what to use.

I currently have two phones.

Sony Xperia Z3:  Used this from since it was released in North America at T-Mobile.

HTC One M9:  Got this for free

My Gear:  VMODA M100, Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear, Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears, Sennheiser HD598SE (use this on Receiver)

After using the HTC for the first time, I noticed right off the bat that this phone has a great AMP compared to the Z3.  It powers up my VMODA M100 amazingly.  The Z3 has done wonder but it a little low on output power.  It did however power up my old Sennheiser Momentum Over Ears very well, I sold them because the inner ear was too small for me.

Now my question is, out of these two, which one has the best SQ?

I know some have mentioned the LG V10 has the best DAC/AMP combo but I can't really notice a difference when using my M100 or Momentum in ears, it is because the DAC/AMP is only limited to the stock player?  My wife owns the V10 if you are wondering.

Thank you everyone.

The V10 has the best SQ of the 3, but the Z3 is somewhat better than the M9 in terms of details but weaker on the amp if you don't root it with some tunings to unlock the amplifier's full potential.

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,999 of 7,916
The V10 has the best SQ of the 3, but the Z3 is somewhat better than the M9 in terms of details but weaker on the amp if you don't root it with some tunings to unlock the amplifier's full potential.

Is the M100 32ohm an issue with the Z3?  I read somewhere that is the Z3 is only good for maybe 30ohms?

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,000 of 7,916
hi everyone.
i a new to this thread, also seeking a newer phone with better audio.

currently have the lg nexus 5..
looking to upgrade my cell into something better
(lg v10 not available in canada, where i am).

and yes i am also considering a dap
(the upcoming geek out wave or less costly echobox explorer 1 both seem interesting)

anyway, what of the upcoming Samsung S7?
looks interesting the specs at least

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-may-equip-the-Galaxy-S7-with-a-top-shelf-ESS-audio-chip_id74942

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,002 of 7,916
  hi everyone.
i a new to this thread, also seeking a newer phone with better audio.

currently have the lg nexus 5..
looking to upgrade my cell into something better
(lg v10 not available in canada, where i am).

and yes i am also considering a dap
(the upcoming geek out wave or less costly echobox explorer 1 both seem interesting)

anyway, what of the upcoming Samsung S7?
looks interesting the specs at least

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-may-equip-the-Galaxy-S7-with-a-top-shelf-ESS-audio-chip_id74942

Note that this is just speculation...

The S7 is strongly believed to be introduced on February the 21st. Until that....
rolleyes.gif

The S6 is somewhat of a solid performer, but the lack of an SD-Card slot was/ is a big letdown.

Like you, I am looking forward to see a S7 with a SD-card slot and an ESS Dac... *

*Never forget: Implementation is everything...

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,003 of 7,916
now I'm using Neutron.  The EQ on Neutron is just better when comparing to Poweramp IMO.

Having more options/settings? Yes.
Better? No way.

Just nothing comes close to the way poweramp has it's tonal controls and stereoX (treble focus) implemented.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,004 of 7,916

Note that this is just speculation...

The S7 is strongly believed to be introduced on February the 21st. Until that....
rolleyes.gif

The S6 is somewhat of a solid performer, but the lack of an SD-Card slot was/ is a big letdown.

Like you, I am looking forward to see a S7 with a SD-card slot and an ESS Dac... *

*Never forget: Implementation is everything...

oh i know it's just speculation...however, alot of sites are showing these same stats,
pointing to an SD slot and good DAC....fingers crossed!

but you are also correct on 'not counting your chicks 'til they're hatched':
gmsarena showing it not having an SD SLOT
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7-7821.php

anyway an interesting article below about the possible future of portable audio: DAPs vs Smartphones
give me your thoughts...written by a fellow headfier kim victor

http://cymbacavum.com/2015/05/13/the-biz-where-is-portable-audio-going-an-overview-of-the-new-age-dap-market/

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #2,005 of 7,916
  I've read some recommendations about axon's line of ZTE but I don't know if a lot of people own them, all seems good "on paper" but any users who own them or have used it could share his impressions.

All Axons with "HI-FI Sound" should sound ok, am I right? I can get Axon mini Premium.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/ZTE-Axon-Mini-review_id4150/page/3

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,007 of 7,916
Is the M100 32ohm an issue with the Z3?  I read somewhere that is the Z3 is only good for maybe 30ohms?

My Mi Headphones are 32Ohms and pairs well with the Z3 but not to its full capacity. The Z3 still can handle most portable headphones of up to 32ohms but things get weird once you cross that limit

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,008 of 7,916
My Mi Headphones are 32Ohms and pairs well with the Z3 but not to its full capacity. The Z3 still can handle most portable headphones of up to 32ohms but things get weird once you cross that limit

Thanks, I guess I'm within threshold.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,009 of 7,916
I've read some recommendations about axon's line of ZTE but I don't know if a lot of people own them, all seems good "on paper" but any users who own them or have used it could share his impressions.

All Axons with "HI-FI Sound" should sound ok, am I right? I can get Axon mini Premium.

Can`t say anything about the Axon, but i had the Zte Z9 max which has an AKM AK4375 DAC. The sound is not bad, but nothing special either. It lacks bass and sounds noticeably worse than Meizu pro 5 or Xiaomi mi Note pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back