Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,576 of 7,916
  Indeed. And it seems very few people understand that what LG claims as 'Hi-Fi DAC' is only used with LG's music app. In any other app you get the sound from integrated Snapdragon... like any other phone. I'm not saying it's a bad phone, but to me it's just another phone. 

I was more impressed with it having a removable 3000mah battery + msd card slot

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,578 of 7,916
Dec 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,579 of 7,916
  From post 19/437 in the LG V10 review thread, there are proofs. With screenshots. From owners. Many other credible members said so too in that thread and others. I believed them.

I'd be glad to be wrong. I'm searching for good audio like you all are. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/15

Please inform us if this is false... and why.

You can start by reading the other two V10 threads, which have been pretty detailed and instructive as to what apps/players are working and which are not.  In particular, this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg

At the very least, on my phone I know the LG app works, Double Twist player, Google play (streaming), Tidal (streaming), and BubbleUpnP (using Tidal or Doubletwist).  

Others have found that Neutron works, though you have to "trick" it into working.  I'm not bothering with it.  I also think Shuttle works, and maybe a few other streamers. 

Many of us have been careful to clarify the exactly how we know the DAC is actually working, beyond simply seeing the HiFi notification, which does not mean that the HiFi DAC is actually being used.  The first way is to go into the HiFi settings and look for the Left and Right balance adjusters, but then, importantly, you'll hear an obvious gain/volume difference when you toggle the HiFi switch on and off.  This is exactly the case with the LG stock player, Google Play, Tidal, and DoubleTwist (in my experience).  Others have noted other players that are confirmed as well. 

Moreover, there is now discussion as to whether or not using certain types of adapters trigger the HiFi DAC or not, regardless of the player.  I cannot confirm, as I haven't been exploring this, nor really paying attention.  

Bottom line, the DAC works, it's easy to get it to work, it's easy to find players and streaming apps that work with it, and beyond that, you get enormous local storage, swappable batteries, and arguably the best camera on a smart phone you can get.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,580 of 7,916

You can start by reading the other two V10 threads, which have been pretty detailed and instructive as to what apps/players are working and which are not.  In particular, this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg

At the very least, on my phone I know the LG app works, Double Twist player, Google play (streaming), Tidal (streaming), and BubbleUpnP (using Tidal or Doubletwist).  

Others have found that Neutron works, though you have to "trick" it into working.  I'm not bothering with it.  I also think Shuttle works, and maybe a few other streamers. 

Thanks that is good info. Based on that thread you are referring, 1 app I use about 30% (Media Monkey) works. The other does not (70% of my usage).

Will wait that fix before paying such money to import LG V10 unlocked in Canada. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,581 of 7,916
Yes. Those of us that hasn't heard both the lg v10 and mx5pro aren't in the position to judge. I did read the chinese review here:
http://www.leiphone.com/news/201510/EVrBo6W87zcZIK6s.html

Quick summary: mx5pro has more control more power, and less prominent bass compared to mx4pro
Iphone6s+ has better treble extension and sounds more natural, while mx5pro has better bass. But apparently it's a tie...

Now my impression form my sister's iphone6s+ is not quite as good as my lg v10...

Do try out both the mx 5pro and lg v10 for a definitive answer for yourself. I'm just sharing what I've found... But comparing the htcm9+ & mx4pro with jh13, the m9+ wins in my humble opinion. Wow.... Sorry, for making all this even more confusing...

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,582 of 7,916

Do try out both the mx 5pro and lg v10 for a definitive answer for yourself. I'm just sharing what I've found... But comparing the htcm9+ & mx4pro with jh13, the m9+ wins in my humble opinion. Wow.... Sorry, for making all this even more confusing...

Haha this is the purpose of this thread I guess. We just need info to make a choice. It depends on each individuals. I don't think there will be a definitive choice for all. 

I get you here on the HTC m9+. I'm here because I try to replace my m7 but nothing I tried is as good. They call that progress. Arg I hate to sound grumpy but I'm sad to see cameras' megapixels war winning over sound quality. We are 5 years back!

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,584 of 7,916
Haha this is the purpose of this thread I guess. We just need info to make a choice. It depends on each individuals. I don't think there will be a definitive choice for all. 

I get you here on the HTC m9+. I'm here because I try to replace my m7 but nothing I tried is as good. They call that progress. Arg I hate to sound grumpy but I'm sad to see cameras' megapixels war winning over sound quality. We are 5 years back!

The answer is the LG V10...as for us here in the US of A!
Sony would have been another option with the Xperia Z5, but unfortunately they didn't improve their audio performance side.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,585 of 7,916

I came straight from the HTC One M7 to the LG V10 - there's not even a comparison between the two. 

My two cents. 

Even without the HiFI DAC, using Poweramp on both phones, I feel the LG V10 has much better control and delivery, if that makes sense.  On the HTC M7 I was primarily playing local-stored FLAC files.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,586 of 7,916

Even without the HiFI DAC, using Poweramp on both phones, I feel the LG V10 has much better control and delivery, if that makes sense.  On the HTC M7 I was primarily playing local-stored FLAC files.  

Really? So even if the DAC ('HiFi') is not working (in my 70% use-case) I have nothing to loose... I wish I could try it before importing. Hm now sounds like a nice Christmas gift to me from me.

So, if this is the definitive answer... Is this thread closed then?  :wink: 

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,587 of 7,916
  Really? So even if the DAC ('HiFi') is not working (in my 70% use-case) I have nothing to loose... I wish I could try it before importing. Hm now sounds like a nice Christmas gift to me from me.

So, if this is the definitive answer... Is this thread closed then?  :wink: 

I think so.  I think if you cross compare music players that don't use the HiFi DAC - Poweramp, Rocket (paid), etc., you'll find that at worst they same the same, but I think if you have the right setup, you'll notice the nuanced differences. 

Keep in mind that the LG V10 will driver higher impedance headphones, whereas the HTC M7 will not.  I could not use my Sennheiser HD600s with my HTC; I can with my V10.

Also, you get a removable micro SD card, swappable battery, and a better camera.

I loved my HTC One, and still think that generally the M7 has a better UI and usability than the V10, but the hardware on the LG is just so much better.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,588 of 7,916
I think so.  I think if you cross compare music players that don't use the HiFi DAC - Poweramp, Rocket (paid), etc., you'll find that at worst they same the same, but I think if you have the right setup, you'll notice the nuanced differences. 

Keep in mind that the LG V10 will driver higher impedance headphones, whereas the HTC M7 will not.  I could not use my Sennheiser HD600s with my HTC; I can with my V10.

Also, you get a removable micro SD card, swappable battery, and a better camera.

I loved my HTC One, and still think that generally the M7 has a better UI and usability than the V10, but the hardware on the LG is just so much better.  

Yes. The v10 sounds better than any HTC phones, but that's pretty much it. While comparing cameras and everything else, I still prefer HTC.

Now I go everywhere with two phones. LG and HTC one max,.. I like the big screen and will upgrade to the m10 if they offer 6" screens.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #1,590 of 7,916
Oh no... I will keep my v10 for headphones. I don't really think lg v10s camera is better than htc m9+ ois version. But im betting that the m10 will be even better as htc really needs a win next year.

Htc do make really solid phones and my one max is still kicking ass after two years. Minimal lags, very intuitive and customizble sense skin... I am just a big fan. Now I just hope with the competency of the audio out on the v10s, htc will come up with a even better solution to one up their competitor. Prior to v10, htc's flagships was dominating in the audio department on mobile phones sector.

Their last effort the htc a9 also received decent reviews regarding sq. It just isn't quite as good aa the v10. But this shows someone in the company do care about sq in htc. So.... Im keeping my fingers crossed for a better audiophile phone next year^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back