Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,531 of 7,916
Ir there's this.. Apparently, Viper4Android is modded called LolliViper
http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/themes-apps/discussion-viper4android-t2543796
It's available in multiple .zip formats.. So read the one that is best suited for your device.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,533 of 7,916
My budget is under 450$,iam considering the best audiophile smartphone.Hence I have made a list according to the DAC specs & GSM ARENA reviews.Which is the best audiophile phone in this list.New suggestions to the list will be appreciated.
*Vivo X5 Max
*Meizu Pro 5
*Letv Max
*Zte Axon
*Lg G3,G2 pro &G flex
*HTC M8
*Asus zenfone 2(4gb)
*Moto x play

Hi there, I'll chime in as I've owned most of these. It would be helpful, though, to know where you are located because if you are in the US, some of these phones will not get LTE on the usual networks here. For me, that would be a deal-breaker and I would not consider a phone that wasn't fully compatible with my network. Which carrier are you on?

Right now, Best Buy has the ZTE Axon Pro 64gb on sale for $349. For me, nothing else can compete in that price bracket. There may be better phones for audio (LG V10, for example), but not for $349. The Meizu Pro 5 gets good marks for super loud volume and a quality DAC, but I do not believe it has the proper bands for LTE in the US so I didn't consider it. The LG G3 and G2 Pro/G Flex in my opinion do not live up to the ZTE Axon. The Zenfone 2 is another GREAT deal and has very solid audio performance - it's probably the best choice for the lowest priced phone. The HTC M8 is pretty loud, but I don't think clarity and quality are its strong suits, though it is by no means bad. It has last year's processor and is now coming up on two years old, so I would still go with the ZTE Axon Pro. 

I guess that was a long winded way of saying I would go with the ZTE Axon. Its only problem is that it has no expandable storage, but if you can swing the 64gb version at the sale price, it would be very hard to beat. 

-Collin-

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,534 of 7,916
Hi there, I'll chime in as I've owned most of these. It would be helpful, though, to know where you are located because if you are in the US, some of these phones will not get LTE on the usual networks here. For me, that would be a deal-breaker and I would not consider a phone that wasn't fully compatible with my network. Which carrier are you on?

Are you downloading torrents on your smartphone or something?
LTE is a gimmick, 3G+ is plenty fast 95% of the time.
Sure, LTE as a feature is nice to have, but I can't see it nowhere near the top of the list of priorities, especially when you are choosing from already short list of audiophile oriented smartphones (I would probably add Nexus 5 to it though as well as the iPhone 5S).

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,535 of 7,916
Are you downloading torrents on your smartphone or something?
LTE is a gimmick, 3G+ is plenty fast 95% of the time.
Sure, LTE as a feature is nice to have, but I can't see it nowhere near the top of the list of priorities, especially when you are choosing from already short list of audiophile oriented smartphones (I would probably add Nexus 5 to it though as well as the iPhone 5S).

While I respect your opinion, I'll have to disagree. I have never touched a torrent and don't plan to. The 3G networks in my city have all but been phased out. T-Mobile is my carrier on my main phone and they have essentially taken 95% of the bandwidth and given it to the LTE channels and left what is barely a usable signal on the 3G network. I agree that 3G is fine for pretty much everything, but not on Tidal with a weak signal. Do I need 50mbps or even 20mbps? No way. But the 1mbps I usually see on the 3G networks around here is not enough for streaming at the highest quality setting on Tidal, which is my main source of music. Perhaps in my post, I should have mentioned why LTE was important to me. Maybe some others from the US can comment on their success on 3G networks, but for me it has been pretty dismal. I also tried Sprint and Verizon and with 500kbps download on the 3G networks, it's pretty unusable. 

I see you are from Lithuania. When I was in Europe earlier this year and also two years ago, I must admit that the 3G networks were blazing fast! I was regularly seeing 10mbps, so with that speed I would definitely not need LTE. Now, though, I feel like most carriers in the US have abandoned 3G in favor of LTE. It's kind of a bummer because it uses more battery as well. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,536 of 7,916
When I was in Texas, I used to watch a lot of YouTube videos.. Now that I'm in Virginia, I don't find myself requiring the LTE speeds anymore.. But I will say, it's nice to know it's there when I do want to use that speed. :grinning:

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,537 of 7,916
I've seen a few recommendations for the Asus Zenphone 2. I'm considering a Zenphone 2 laser ($200 for a 32gb on Amazon right now!). Does anyone know of any sound differences between the original and this variant? There doesn't seem to be a better value for a new 32gb phone on the market right now.

For ****s and giggles, I've also had a LG G2 and a Moto x (1st gen) in the past. I've never given sound quality of smartphones a second thought until now. How do these listed phones compare? :p

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,538 of 7,916
  I've seen a few recommendations for the Asus Zenphone 2. I'm considering a Zenphone 2 laser ($200 for a 32gb on Amazon right now!). Does anyone know of any sound differences between the original and this variant? There doesn't seem to be a better value for a new 32gb phone on the market right now.

For ****s and giggles, I've also had a LG G2 and a Moto x (1st gen) in the past. I've never given sound quality of smartphones a second thought until now. How do these listed phones compare? :p

For sound quality you're going to want something else. EMI shielding is better on certain phones... namely Sony Xperia and Samsung Galaxy S devices. HTC devices with BoomSound feature their own internal amp along with the Qualcomm DAC, and those have some really nice headphone output. Matter of fact, outside of the iPhone, there's no better sounding phone than the One M8. I would put a little more money down and go with the M8 which you can get for a great price right now, unlocked even.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,539 of 7,916

For sound quality you're going to want something else. EMI shielding is better on certain phones... namely Sony Xperia and Samsung Galaxy S devices. HTC devices with BoomSound feature their own internal amp along with the Qualcomm DAC, and those have some really nice headphone output. Matter of fact, outside of the iPhone, there's no better sounding phone than the One M8. I would put a little more money down and go with the M8 which you can get for a great price right now, unlocked even.

I appreciate the input man. And I wasn't aware of EMI shielding difference so that's good to know.

Do you know how the Alcatel Idol 3 compares? Admittingly I'm asking because I don't like the design and feel of the M8 that much. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,540 of 7,916
Thanks Collin,
Iam from India,here ZTE Axon lux or mini version is not available.Anyway I will try to import it.Whether it can stand against LG V10 & iphone 5s.If I have enough money, then what's the best audiophile smartphone?(is it LG V10)

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,541 of 7,916
Thanks Collin,
Iam from India,here ZTE Axon lux or mini version is not available.Anyway I will try to import it.Whether it can stand against LG V10 & iphone 5s.If I have enough money, then what's the best audiophile smartphone?(is it LG V10)

May be you can wait for Micromax Yutopia.., no idea but after my experience what I noticed is high end smartphone doesn't always translate into high quality audio

I had Galaxy S2 (Exynos) - high end smartphone in 2011 but poorest sound quality. At the same time I bought Nokia X2 feature phone for emergency but it had awesome sound quality, I could not believe it

It all depends on the implementation. We don't know which model has gold in it. So nowadays I'm getting all my friend's phones and trying to put the same track and listening with same headphones. I am noticing many interesting things. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #1,542 of 7,916

May be you can wait for Micromax Yutopia.., no idea but after my experience what I noticed is high end smartphone doesn't always translate into high quality audio

I had Galaxy S2 (Exynos) - high end smartphone in 2011 but poorest sound quality. At the same time I bought Nokia X2 feature phone for emergency but it had awesome sound quality, I could not believe it

It all depends on the implementation. We don't know which model has gold in it. So nowadays I'm getting all my friend's phones and trying to put the same track and listening with same headphones. I am noticing many interesting things. 

In the case of the V10 it does. It is an audiophile flagship

I appreciate the input man. And I wasn't aware of EMI shielding difference so that's good to know.

Do you know how the Alcatel Idol 3 compares? Admittingly I'm asking because I don't like the design and feel of the M8 that much. 

The Idol 3 5.5 is a steal at its price and has even better speakers than the M8....
If you prefer a more plastic/ conservative design, go with the Idol....
At this price point you can´t go that wrong with any choice....

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,543 of 7,916
I'm really liking the sound from my Asus Zenfone 2. Even without Viper4Android, the sound is nice, very neutral. But, like me, you add Viper4Android to it, and it's a beast. And its premium looks with the glass front, with minimal plastic bezel, dual SIM, and nice feel plastic back, that snaps on tight I might add, and it's a nice phone.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,545 of 7,916
has anyone tested new LeTV X500? I found one mini review of customer who found SQ excellent and equally good or better as Meizu MX4Pro.
Does that mean audio codec is the same as in LeTV Max?
SQ wise MX4Pro=MX5Pro? LeTV Max is better? Are those big differences?
Reading some reviews so far it could be my sound signature instead of for example colder Xiaomi MiNote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back