Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #886 of 7,916
The M9 has the Snapdragon 810 in it and mine doesn't get any warmer than any other phone I've had in the past. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. 

AFAIK it's because of a recent update that underclocks the CPU, therefore, the reason why it doesn't overheat anymore it's because it doesn't work to its full potential. That's the reason why in benchmarks it performs below the rest of the 810ers and even below some 801 and 808ers.

I might be wrong though, this is only as far as I recall.

You are wrong. It is actually scores more than before update, over 60 k in antutu and that's one of the best results for 810.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #887 of 7,916

Technically, it's a 'phablet', not a phone :)  I'm after something a lot smaller.

Why do manufacturers think that we only want high-spec'd phones to come with gigantic screens?  These days if you want a high-end smartphone under 5" your only options are Sony and Apple.

For example the s6 is taller than the ip6 by 5mm and wider by 3mm, get your ruler out and you'll realize that's really small. Why not increase the screen size by .4 inches when the increase in the physical phone size is so small?

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #888 of 7,916
  GS6 or iPhone?

I was not impressed with the LG G4's headphone out. I haven't tried the GS6 because there are no tracks available for listening on their demo unit. How's the GS6 sound like? The only Samsung phone I heard was the GS4 and it was pretty good.

The Lumias I had sounded amazing but the software irritates me (actually, only the Music app) already and I need to jump to either on of those.

Thanks!

S6 is much better than the S4 and slightly better (cleaner) than the iphone6+ in terms of sound.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #889 of 7,916

For example the s6 is taller than the ip6 by 5mm and wider by 3mm, get your ruler out and you'll realize that's really small. Why not increase the screen size by .4 inches when the increase in the physical phone size is so small?

You have a bit of an apples and oranges thing going on here, because while 3 mm doesn't sound like a lot, .4 of an inch is actually 10 mm.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #890 of 7,916

You have a bit of an apples and oranges thing going on here, because while 3 mm doesn't sound like a lot, .4 of an inch is actually 10 mm.

I was under the impression you want a small physical size phone i.e .5 x .3 mm larger then the iphone6 physically, but you get a 10mm larger screen diagonally, unless you have a reason for a smaller screen size for similar physical size, just too lazy to convert the screen size, because it doesn't really matter.

S6: 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm 5.1" screen ~70.7% screen-to-body ratio
ip6: 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm with 4.7" screen ~65.8% screen-to-body ratio

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #891 of 7,916

I was under the impression you want a small physical size phone i.e .5 x .3 mm larger then the iphone6 physically, but you get a 10mm larger screen diagonally, unless you have a reason for a smaller screen size for similar physical size, just too lazy to convert the screen size, because it doesn't really matter.

S6: 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm 5.1" screen ~70.7% screen-to-body ratio
ip6: 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm with 4.7" screen ~65.8% screen-to-body ratio

Yes, I'm after a smaller phone but you're suggesting that I get a bigger one??  Or did I misunderstand your post?

I have not been a gamer since my student days and prefer watching videos on my 100" projector screen or my 65" TV.

I've used smartphones of almost every screen size between 4" and 5" and find the ~4.7" screen to be the sweet spot between size and ergonomics.  However, I definitely refuse to go below the 70% screen-to-ratio mark.  For example, I think the iPhone 6 is ridiculously (and unnecessarily) long for it's screen size, considering what an expensive piece of hardware it is.  Heck, it's even quite a bit longer than the HTC One X with the identical screen size I had 3.5 years ago!  

So, what I'm thinking is exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting.  Specifically, if I'm willing to sacrifice just 0.1 inch (or 2.5 mm) of the screen size, I can get a phone with a screen that's near perfect for my needs and a whooping 16.4 mm shorter than the S6 you're recommending (and 11.1 mm shorter than the iPhone with a comparable screen size).

Here's what I'm talking about:

Sony Xperia Z3/Z5 Compact: 127 x 64.9 x 8.6 mm 4.6" screen ~70.8% screen-to-body ratio.

As an added bonus the Z5C is considerably cheaper than both the iPhone 6 and the S6 despite being the newest model of the bunch and offering unique features such as the fastest auto-focus on a phone, waterproofing, more ergonomic fingerprint scanner etc; and the Z3C (the current model and is also a real possibility for me) is cheaper still.

Personally, I find that anything bigger than 4.7" or lower than 70% screen-to-body ratio is literally a waste of space, as you seriously sacrifice pocketability and handling.  With a smaller phone, I can whip it out, respond to a text, then back in the pocket - all with a single hand and without feeling like I'm performing a balancing act or people wondering whether I'm happy to see them...

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #892 of 7,916
Is there an
Is there any phone on market or in the work, that has dedicated dac, but doesn't cost like 500$? Seems everyone with good dac is flagship model our close to it.
y phone on market or in the work, that has dedicated dac, but doesn't cost like 500$? Seems everyone with good dac is flagship model our close to it.

Check this link..

http://www.geekypinas.com/2014/08/list-of-smarphones-with-good-dac-for.html?m=1#axzz3l2mKWnIM

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #894 of 7,916
Hi guys check this out..

http://www.geekypinas.com/2015/08/aqua-worlds-lightest-headphone-amplifier-by-nexum.html?m=1#axzz3l2mKWnIM

It seems interesting but I hope it doesn't draw too much power from the phone...

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #898 of 7,916
  Hi, I am considering to buy a budget wireless IEMs, maybe Axgio Sprint, Brainwavz Blu-100 or Plantronics BackBeat GO 2. Which would you recommend? Thanks.

Wrong thread but I'll answer anyway.  I haven't heard the first two but I would recommend Sony SBH-80 over the BackBeat Go 2 any day.  They can be head for well under $100 and there's nothing 'budget' about their sound and they also have AptX with Backbeats don't.  

A friend recently switched from the BackBeats to the Sonys for gym use and he reported a substantial improvement in SQ with his iPhone.  If you're using an AptX-capable device and listen to a lot of FLACs then the difference would be even more pronounced.  It's worth noting that one of the ear-pieces has just stopped producing sound after only 4 months, but I haven't heard of this being a common issue.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #899 of 7,916
  Have you guys seen the Marshall phone? Looks like a fully dedicad phone to music...

had a little lissen on it the other day with se535, sounded pretty nice. The unit had spotify on it, so had to rely on what ever they provides, took a while to found out how the damn spotify app works what a horribly UI on it. also neutralized the EQ on the marshall music app, not sure if it effected all audio or just that app. It Provided pretty nice baas with se535. It had also Marshall Monitors up for testing with it. those headphones were really uncomfortable and damn bass heavy. The volume wheel on it is just a scroll wheel. It doesn't seem to have much output power tough, had to go as high as 50% or so with se535.

If you don't mind having android, it is a really nice phone, i consider it as just a DAP. 

1,2Ghz quadcore, 2GB ram, 16GB + mSD. seemed pretty smooth. My last android experience was with ice cream sandwitch on 800mhz singlecore and 512mb ram. so no idea how optimized the latest versions are. Specs should be fine for everyday smartphone use (whats app, occasional browsing, and ofc listening music.)
Android is just a poor OS, Sailfish and iOs go by with 1GB of ram and 1,4Ghz dualcore just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back