Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #781 of 7,916
I was actually impressed with the first generation of the Moto G when I used it as a work phone. The sound quality was very good for a budget device, although some might find it a bit too bright.  Personally I preferred it to the Nexus 5.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #782 of 7,916
Guys,
I'm from Brazil, and here the smartphone market is very limited. For example, we dont have HTC or Meisu here. So, we have the Xperia options, Samsung Exynos options, like alpha, and others. I was reading the foruns and find that the Lumia 640 could be a very good budget option. But, do the 640 and 640 xl have the same sound quality? Do you guys recomend the Lumia 640?
Here, it has the same price as Lumia 730, and we dont have the 735 at the moment. I've recentely bought a Xiaomi Piston 3 earbud and i want to have a good time enjoying it with a budget phone. A, and Galaxy Alpha is 150$ more than Lumia 640 here.
Help me out, guys. What do you recomend?

Both the Lumia 735 and the 640XL have really nice audio quality. Not sure about the 640 since it's not available in my country but it'll probably be on par with the 640XL.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #783 of 7,916
Both the Lumia 735 and the 640XL have really nice audio quality. Not sure about the 640 since it's not available in my country but it'll probably be on par with the 640XL.

Well, i think 640 XL is too big and personaly i dont like big phones. 5.2" is my limit (the size of moto x 2014).
Is lumia 640 xl that good to listen to musics? I'm a little bit concerned about the differences of 640 and 640 xl. Could anyone confirm if the audio system is the same?
One more thing, almost forgot, Xiaomi has come to Brazil recentely and launched the Redmi 2 to comprte with the Asus Zenphone 5 and Moto G. What do you guys think about it?

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #784 of 7,916
Well, i think 640 XL is too big and personaly i dont like big phones. 5.2" is my limit (the size of moto x 2014).
Is lumia 640 xl that good to listen to musics? I'm a little bit concerned about the differences of 640 and 640 xl. Could anyone confirm if the audio system is the same?
One more thing, almost forgot, Xiaomi has come to Brazil recentely and launched the Redmi 2 to comprte with the Asus Zenphone 5 and Moto G. What do you guys think about it?

not sure if 640 and 640xl sound similar.  But I went and bought another 2014 Moto G (daughter got the first one) to run my dac/amp and iems.  The Lumia 640, which I like as a phone, was not acceptable to me for quality listening via HP out.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #785 of 7,916
not sure if 640 and 640xl sound similar.  But I went and bought another 2014 Moto G (daughter got the first one) to run my dac/amp and iems.  The Lumia 640, which I like as a phone, was not acceptable to me for quality listening via HP out.

I'm just going to use the phone and the earbuds connected directely.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #786 of 7,916
I'm just going to use the phone and the earbuds connected directely.

never mind.................the Lumia  
angry_face.gif
 sucked with "the earbuds connected directely"  

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #789 of 7,916
Oh, and before i forget. Do you guys think Galaxy Alpha is a good option nowadays? I've heard it is even better than Xperia Z3 at sound quality. But this 1800 battery is killing this smartphone for me. What do you guys say about Alpha?

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #790 of 7,916
  never mind.................the Lumia  
angry_face.gif
 sucked with "the earbuds connected directely"  

???
I think the sound is excellent.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #792 of 7,916
Thank you so much for your response. About the volume issues you mention, it's kinda funny, but I think the G4 sounds loud enough. It might be of course due to my own tastes - I don't like ear-piercing volume on my music. So there you have it. Other than the volume output, how did you find the G4 music capabilities? Did you enjoy the sound signature? Do you think it was good at hi-res audio? Which headphone and IEM's did you try on it?

At some point I intended to get the Meizu X4 Pro, just like you, but no carrier in my country sells it, and importing it is too costly, so it was out of the question. Also, since my contract had just expired, I could get any flagship at a big discount by renewing my contract, so then again, buying the X4 Pro on my own did not have the benefits and discounts of getting my phone from my mobile carrier. Thus, my Z3 vs M9 personal debate that met a last minute turn when I saw the G4.

I know thay there are better phones than this one (the X4 Pro, Z3 and M8/9 for music, iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 for the camera, and the S6 and X4 Pro for hardware performance), but as an all-rounder, I personally think no other phone can beat the G4, and I'm really happy for it.

Hi Veggie,

Sorry for the late reply. I really loved my LG G4 and the sound it produces is very nice! If you like the sound of the G4 I find the Moto X 2nd and Z3 very close to it, very neutral sounding not like I found with the S6 and S6 edge which had a slight brightness to the treble to mids.

But when I got hold of my MX4 Pro the HiFi chip with the low and high gain wooow it sounded beautiful and so clear with lovely separation.

Right where to start on what I tested with the G4 (and most of the other phones too! :grinning:)

IEM

Dunu DN2000j (weapon of choice)
Dunu Titan 1
Senni. IE800
Fidue A83
RHA T10i

OnEar

Beyerdynamic t51p (weapon of choice)
VModa XS

Bluetooth

Parrot Zik 2.0
Senni MM550x
Plantronics Backbeat Pro
Sony MDR-1ABT
AKG K845
Phillips M2BTBK
Bose Soundlink OE
Bose Soundlink AE
Audio Technical ath-ws99bt (weapon of choice)
Senni M2AEBT

Over Ear

Audio Technical ath-msr7
Logitech UE6000
Oppo PM3 (weapon of choice)
Senni M2
Audio Technica m70x
Audio Technica m50s
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
NAD HP50
Audio Technica ath-w1000x

Hope this helps :grinning:

P.s. weapons of choice are my current headphone types I'm using on all genre's using Spotify 320 and local FLAC files.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #794 of 7,916
Guys, between Galaxy Alpha and Xperia Z3, which one has the best sound quality?

Hi there, had the Alpha for 2days testing and I would select the Z3 over the Alpha. The Sammy is beautifully engineered and feels nice in the hand and pocket and the sound is good but there are so many reasons you go for the Z3.

Battery life when listening to music and using just as a phone you would be at the charge port so much with the Alpha.

No MicroSD slot so your limited to the storage on the phone where with the Z3 you have phone and additional storage option! If you like a smaller phone like the Alpha don't forget the Z3c :grin:

Hope this helps :blush:

P.s. the Alpha doesn't deliver anything better in sound to choose over the Z3

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #795 of 7,916
Hi there, had the Alpha for 2days testing and I would select the Z3 over the Alpha. The Sammy is beautifully engineered and feels nice in the hand and pocket and the sound is good but there are so many reasons you go for the Z3.

Battery life when listening to music and using just as a phone you would be at the charge port so much with the Alpha.

No MicroSD slot so your limited to the storage on the phone where with the Z3 you have phone and additional storage option! If you like a smaller phone like the Alpha don't forget the Z3c :grin:

Hope this helps :blush:

P.s. the Alpha doesn't deliver anything better in sound to choose over the Z3

Have you tried Galaxy S6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back