Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #766 of 7,916
Thank you so much for your response. About the volume issues you mention, it's kinda funny, but I think the G4 sounds loud enough. It might be of course due to my own tastes - I don't like ear-piercing volume on my music. So there you have it. Other than the volume output, how did you find the G4 music capabilities? Did you enjoy the sound signature? Do you think it was good at hi-res audio? Which headphone and IEM's did you try on it?

At some point I intended to get the Meizu X4 Pro, just like you, but no carrier in my country sells it, and importing it is too costly, so it was out of the question. Also, since my contract had just expired, I could get any flagship at a big discount by renewing my contract, so then again, buying the X4 Pro on my own did not have the benefits and discounts of getting my phone from my mobile carrier. Thus, my Z3 vs M9 personal debate that met a last minute turn when I saw the G4.

I know thay there are better phones than this one (the X4 Pro, Z3 and M8/9 for music, iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 for the camera, and the S6 and X4 Pro for hardware performance), but as an all-rounder, I personally think no other phone can beat the G4, and I'm really happy for it.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #769 of 7,916
The MX5 Pro is right around the corner, apparently. Maybe wait for that? It might be hard to get at first, but I'm not really sure. Rumors suggest it will have the Exynos 7420 (same SOC as Note 5) and performance should be great. 

I wish Meizu released their phones with US LTE bands, I'd be all over them! :)

-Collin-

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #770 of 7,916
I had the MX4 Pro for an extensive home demo. The only things to maybe bear in mind is their operating system (Flyme) is quite buggy. Also, the bootloader of Meizu phones is locked and I had problems using USB on the go. If you don't care about those things, it's a decent phone.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #772 of 7,916
Count me in as someone who absolutely loves the Note 5 after having it for two days. I find the headphone output to be fantastic and better than the S6 Edge slightly. Loudness, sure my iPhone 6+ still beats it, but I don't care - I love the sound signature of the Note 5. I started a Note 5 thread also if anyone wants to a bit more on my findings. Currently I'm comparing it to my Z3+, S6 Edge and iPhone 6+. Out of all of these, I like the Note 5 the best. 

Someone said it was neutral leaning toward warm - I echo that comment and those are my findings exactly. Dare I say it make the iPhone 6+ sound a bit boring? Then again I guess boring = flat and accurate, but so be it. I LOVE listening to this thing. I'm finding excuses to walk the dog five times a day to get out with my IEMs :)

-Collin-

Since you have the z3+ which if I'm understanding this correctly is basically the same as what the z4v is gonna be. Would you say I would be good with the Note 5 sound quality wise? I have a Note 4 now, I'm trying to hold out for the new Sony phone in Verizon but everything I see about the Note 5 is making want it even more

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #773 of 7,916
Since you have the z3+ which if I'm understanding this correctly is basically the same as what the z4v is gonna be. Would you say I would be good with the Note 5 sound quality wise? I have a Note 4 now, I'm trying to hold out for the new Sony phone in Verizon but everything I see about the Note 5 is making want it even more

I'm on Verizon and T-Mobile and I gave up waiting for the Z4V. First it was August, now it's September, and now I see rumors of the Z5 coming out soon! I hate what Sony does in the US (basically wait until a product is outdated to release a carrier-specific version). Anyway, now that my rant is over, to be honest I think they are on part sound quality-wise. As I mentioned earlier, I think the Z3+ (and Z4V for that matter, hopefully), has great treble extension and sounds overall very nice. I slightly prefer the warmer signature of the Note 5, but that's personal preference. 

I have to ask, though: how much do you value the sound quality alone in the phone? The Note 5 blows the Sony out of the water in the categories of screen, camera, user interface, updates, support, processing power and overall snappiness. If I were choosing between those, I would choose the Note 5 without question. But since I have the Note 5 on T-Mobile, I am considering the Z4V on Verizon if it ever arrives. Hope that doesn't complicate your situation :)

-Collin-

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #775 of 7,916
  I think the only problem for me for MX5 pro according to the leaks over the net is that its too big 6'. i hope they stick to 5.5

Totally agree. Bummed to see the direction phones are going on that front. As I hold my Droid Turbo tonight, I realize how lovely a 5.2" screen feels in comparison to the behemoths :)

-Collin- 

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #776 of 7,916
I'm on Verizon and T-Mobile and I gave up waiting for the Z4V. First it was August, now it's September, and now I see rumors of the Z5 coming out soon! I hate what Sony does in the US (basically wait until a product is outdated to release a carrier-specific version). Anyway, now that my rant is over, to be honest I think they are on part sound quality-wise. As I mentioned earlier, I think the Z3+ (and Z4V for that matter, hopefully), has great treble extension and sounds overall very nice. I slightly prefer the warmer signature of the Note 5, but that's personal preference. 

I have to ask, though: how much do you value the sound quality alone in the phone? The Note 5 blows the Sony out of the water in the categories of screen, camera, user interface, updates, support, processing power and overall snappiness. If I were choosing between those, I would choose the Note 5 without question. But since I have the Note 5 on T-Mobile, I am considering the Z4V on Verizon if it ever arrives. Hope that doesn't complicate your situation :)

-Collin-

There's a couple things that have me waiting for the z4v one of which is the front firing speakers. Now call me crazy but in could have sworn I heard, and felt for that matter, a decent amount of bass coming from the speakers on the z3v. Something I've never really heard from a phone. And to be honest I really miss having those front speakers, before the Note 4 I had the M7. The other thing is being able to play my ps4 thru the Sony phone. Its novelty sure but pretty sweet when my wife is watching teen mom or something and I wanna get my game on lol. Silver lining I suppose is even retail the z4v isn't overly expensive, especially compared to the Note...thanks for your input!

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #777 of 7,916
There's a couple things that have me waiting for the z4v one of which is the front firing speakers. Now call me crazy but in could have sworn I heard, and felt for that matter, a decent amount of bass coming from the speakers on the z3v. Something I've never really heard from a phone. And to be honest I really miss having those front speakers, before the Note 4 I had the M7. The other thing is being able to play my ps4 thru the Sony phone. Its novelty sure but pretty sweet when my wife is watching teen mom or something and I wanna get my game on lol. Silver lining I suppose is even retail the z4v isn't overly expensive, especially compared to the Note...thanks for your input!

You raise very good points, and don't forget that the Verizon variant is the only one to have a QHD screen and Qi wireless charging. Those are huge! 

Argh. Maybe I'll get it if/when it finally comes out too :)

If the Z3+ is any indication of the front firing speakers, though, you're in for disappointment on that front. Check the reviews; pretty bad. Not the end of the world though. I mean, this is head-fi; surely you have some nice headphones! :)

-Collin-

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #778 of 7,916
Guys,
I'm from Brazil, and here the smartphone market is very limited. For example, we dont have HTC or Meisu here. So, we have the Xperia options, Samsung Exynos options, like alpha, and others. I was reading the foruns and find that the Lumia 640 could be a very good budget option. But, do the 640 and 640 xl have the same sound quality? Do you guys recomend the Lumia 640?
Here, it has the same price as Lumia 730, and we dont have the 735 at the moment. I've recentely bought a Xiaomi Piston 3 earbud and i want to have a good time enjoying it with a budget phone. A, and Galaxy Alpha is 150$ more than Lumia 640 here.
Help me out, guys. What do you recomend?

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #779 of 7,916
Guys,
I'm from Brazil, and here the smartphone market is very limited. For example, we dont have HTC or Meisu here. So, we have the Xperia options, Samsung Exynos options, like alpha, and others. I was reading the foruns and find that the Lumia 640 could be a very good budget option. But, do the 640 and 640 xl have the same sound quality? Do you guys recomend the Lumia 640?
Here, it has the same price as Lumia 730, and we dont have the 735 at the moment. I've recentely bought a Xiaomi Piston 3 earbud and i want to have a good time enjoying it with a budget phone. A, and Galaxy Alpha is 150$ more than Lumia 640 here.

Well, LG just released a 256GB version of their G4 only in Brazil, which has very good sound quality when I listened to my friend's unit.

I haven't listened to many budget phones though.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #780 of 7,916
Guys,

In my experience, you should save and buy the Xperia z3. In terms of sound, you won't be dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back