Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #691 of 7,916
I don't think any of the audio specs for the Note 5 are available yet. We'll probably have to wait until it's released and somebody does a teardown. Unfortunately, it's not being released in Europe, at least for the time being.

i supposed we are the "lucky" ones .... out in the next few hours .... but unfortunately, i cant afford it ... so i cant help you guys perform a tear down ... waiting for other early buyers to give a review ... but hard to find audio fanboys ... very niche market here 

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-samsung-galaxy-note-5-and-s6-edge-are-official-and-here-are-pricing-and-availability-detai

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 4G+ will be available from August 15 in Black Sapphire and Gold Platinum, with 32GB and 64GB storage options, at a recommended retail price of S$1,088and S$1,188 respectively.

To thank customers, Samsung will be giving out an introductory gift set. Those who purchase a Note 5 from August 15 will get a complimentary Fast Wireless Charging Pad (white only) worth S$98 and Clear Cover (silver only) worth S$48 on a while stocks last basis.

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ 4G+ will be available from August 22 in Black Sapphire and Gold Platinum, with 32GB and 64GB storage options, at a recommended retail price ofS$1,188 and S$1,288 respectively.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #692 of 7,916
  I've had the 'Microsoft' Lumia 735 for a couple weeks now and IMO if you don't want to use it for anything else besides maybe texting, phone calls, and music (I know, I know that is what phones are supposed to be used for) then I think you will be a fairly happy camper. If you really want to do much of anything else with it then I don't know. The phone itself is a decent phone, but the Windows software is horrible (again IMO), the apps are really lacking. If you have an upgrade and you can swing it I would buy the phone outright, on Verizon it's less than $200, and I would use my upgrade on something else. If you're needing a cheaper phone because you aren't eligible for upgrade yet it will suffice, but you will probably be disappointed no matter what OS you are coming from. Just my .02 

i am a big WP fan as well, i really wonder what Windows 10 can do to improve its audio department....

ie correct me if i'm wrong, but WP does not mean to put much emphasis on the audio aspects of the phone (other than L930) ... 

also what i remember was that for WP10, they will finally put "aptX" into the flagships n FLAC format ...
is that all ?

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #693 of 7,916
I can agree with you, but once easily rooted via the flyme account option and using the well known apps such as root uninstaller, wakelock detector, autorun manager pro, DS battery saver, Gsam battery monitor and a few others you get a good understanding and diagnostic understanding of what's going on :grinning: So if your a techie like me and don't mind a challenge the phone runs very stable once a few apps and SYS apps are controlled. I have also test lollipop on it and its almost there, not long till they get the international ROM under control....then a few tweaks here and there and your good to go! I'm playing music and using as a great phone with around 2 plus days battery life :blush:

Loving it ! :innocent:

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #694 of 7,916
i supposed we are the "lucky" ones .... out in the next few hours .... but unfortunately, i cant afford it ... so i cant help you guys perform a tear down ... waiting for other early buyers to give a review ... but hard to find audio fanboys ... very niche market here 

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-samsung-galaxy-note-5-and-s6-edge-are-official-and-here-are-pricing-and-availability-detai

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 4G+ will be available from August 15
 in Black Sapphire and Gold Platinum, with 32GB
 and 64GB
 storage options, at a recommended retail price of S$1,088
and S$1,188
 respectively.

To thank customers, Samsung will be giving out an introductory gift set. Those who purchase a Note 5 from August 15 will get a complimentary Fast Wireless Charging Pad (white only) worth S$98 and Clear Cover (silver only) worth S$48 on a while stocks last basis.

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ 4G+ will be available from August 22 
in Black Sapphire and Gold Platinum, with 32GB and 64GB storage options, at a recommended retail price ofS$1,188
 and S$1,288
 respectively.

Ever since the S6 they stopped using the Qualcomm chip and used their homebrew Exynos which usually comes with a Wolfson DAC so it should be able to keep up with the niche market.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #695 of 7,916
I can agree with you, but once easily rooted via the flyme account option and using the well known apps such as root uninstaller, wakelock detector, autorun manager pro, DS battery saver, Gsam battery monitor and a few others you get a good understanding and diagnostic understanding of what's going on :grinning: So if your a techie like me and don't mind a challenge the phone runs very stable once a few apps and SYS apps are controlled. I have also test lollipop on it and its almost there, not long till they get the international ROM under control....then a few tweaks here and there and your good to go! I'm playing music and using as a great phone with around 2 plus days battery life :blush:

Loving it ! :innocent:

Wow! you really know what you are doing ... I am still on the original PRC ROM ... pure stock ... i get a random Chinese Girl speaking to me - like google now ... & i have no idea how to remove her ... i will like to put Windows Phone Cortana instead ... 

just two pics of MX4 Pro with my Audio Technica

even till now, i cant find a phone that offer so much at such a low price ard USD $425 unlocked, 4G LTE, 5.5 HDQ display, 32G memory, 3G RAM, 20MP Sony Camera, Finger Print Sensor & Pure Audio Goodness  

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #696 of 7,916
but there is one drawback which is the lack of aptX - which puzzles me ... when Meizu is so into Audio ... that they can forget such a key feature ... (even Moto, Sony, HTC, Samsung, even BB have it) 

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #697 of 7,916
  I'm torn between these phones:

iPhone 5S (Not sure if an exaggeration but a significant number of members said it's the best mainstream smartphone for music)
Xperia Z3 (A contender and is heavily praised by reading this thread like the m8 and m9)
HTC One M8
HTC One M9

I have an upgrade since February of this year and my Lumia 1520 is still doing its job (until now) but I need a new phone for a sim of a new carrier I need to have. I'm looking at using my Lumia 1520 as my daily driver (calls, emails, texts, camera, apps) and use the secondary phone for my other sim (for work), for tracking my runs and for music.

My 1520 is ok for me and Windows 10 Mobile is great but the user experience for music lovers like me is a big pain. Groove is honestly the worst app ever and I can the same to multiple third party music apps. They're all the same.

I'm literally so fed up with that so I decided to get a new phone that is not Windows to handle music and my exercising and again my other sim for work. I'm torn between these four phones.. I'll get the M8 and Z3 cheaper, the M9 and 5S a bit more expensive.. I am absolutely stunned by the LG G4 but when I listened to audio on the HP jack it's disappointing.

Which smartphone do you guys think is the best? Although I'm still not sure about the 5S because of storage. While I can get the 64GB, I still need more storage. Unless I get a 128GB model of the iPhone 6 (which would cost me a leg and an arm so no thanks!), I need an SD card. Thanks!!

Oh and if this will help I'm just using a Soundmagic E10 although I tried a Brainwavz M3 before and thought it sounded better but it keeps on breaking unlike the E10. Honestly that's the only two IEMs I owned. If there are other IEMs that would compliment these smartphones I welcome your recommendations (budget up to 100$) Thanks again

Wow, you are headed down the same path as I.  I see you are using windows 10.  I thiught it would support OTG, no?  If it does a good usb dac/amp should providde decent mobile sound.  I actually found a 3rd party app for windows that I am using on my Lumia 640.  It is called Modern Music.  

Let me know if you get OTG to work.  I just bought a phone that I used to use in the past and will carry it to play tunes.  I am on a strict budget and chose the 2nd gen 2014 Moto G, will swap in 2 32GB cards..  At least I know what it sounds like and it is pretty good with the OTG output and HRT Microstreamer.  

As for cans I like the JVC HA-FXT100 for about $100

Good luck

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #698 of 7,916
I'm an Android user. I'll give that disclaimer right off the bat. I simply don't care for Apple and while I wouldn't mind giving a Windows phone a shot, I just haven't had a reason to change. I don't have any issue with Android (though I do dislike the locked bootloaders now, taking away some of my total control of the phone. But I understand it. Back in the day most people that screwed their phone up with rooting, did so by unnecessarily pushing their processor too hard) I also have never run stock. All the way back to original Motorola Droid, I was running custom ROMs. Viper4Android I think has been the biggest step taken in the improvement of sound quality of Androids. Unfortunately it's only effective on rooted systems and very hard to make work on Lollipop at all. But whether through headphones, plugged into a stereo aux jack or through a Bluetooth adapter, I haven't heard a phone that I thought sounded better than any other phone. But without it, it's far from Impressive

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #699 of 7,916
  Wow, you are headed down the same path as I.  I see you are using windows 10.  I thiught it would support OTG, no?  If it does a good usb dac/amp should providde decent mobile sound.  I actually found a 3rd party app for windows that I am using on my Lumia 640.  It is called Modern Music.  

Let me know if you get OTG to work.  I just bought a phone that I used to use in the past and will carry it to play tunes.  I am on a strict budget and chose the 2nd gen 2014 Moto G, will swap in 2 32GB cards..  At least I know what it sounds like and it is pretty good with the OTG output and HRT Microstreamer.  

As for cans I like the JVC HA-FXT100 for about $100

Good luck

Thank you for your response! Windows 10 Mobile will support OTG but I'm guessing it will be added in further development of the OS not in the technical preview or early final release. I also have modern music but the playlist management of the app is lackluster for me. It's really hard to import playlists unlike Groove (still a pain, though) or the Hub Tile which uses the WP8 app Music+Videos. I use the Hub Tile but it's still really lackluster.

Modern Music supports FLAC right now (I believe it didn't before).

The Uservoice for OTG Support has 23K votes. It's one of the most requested features for W10M. As for using an HRT Microstreamer, I still have mixed feelings about this.. The 1520 is already a big phone and I don't think I would like adding more bulk to it. Maybe I'll find a way next time. But the HRT Microstreamer is really tempting. I think I need to find a way since I don't want to leave Windows Phone right now.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually bought the M3s again. Can't help it! Imo it sounds perfect. I will try the JVC soon as well.

I'll give you an update regarding the OTG support of WPs. I'm pretty active on the W10TP feedback and the community but right now there's no news on it yet.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #700 of 7,916

Thank you for your response! Windows 10 Mobile will support OTG but I'm guessing it will be added in further development of the OS not in the technical preview or early final release. I also have modern music but the playlist management of the app is lackluster for me. It's really hard to import playlists unlike Groove (still a pain, though) or the Hub Tile which uses the WP8 app Music+Videos. I use the Hub Tile but it's still really lackluster.

Modern Music supports FLAC right now (I believe it didn't before).

The Uservoice for OTG Support has 23K votes. It's one of the most requested features for W10M. As for using an HRT Microstreamer, I still have mixed feelings about this.. The 1520 is already a big phone and I don't think I would like adding more bulk to it. Maybe I'll find a way next time. But the HRT Microstreamer is really tempting. I think I need to find a way since I don't want to leave Windows Phone right now.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually bought the M3s again. Can't help it! Imo it sounds perfect. I will try the JVC soon as well.

I'll give you an update regarding the OTG support of WPs. I'm pretty active on the W10TP feedback and the community but right now there's no news on it yet.

I had L1520 prior and is really too big ! Fortunately MSFT has taken note of it ... I'm waiting for Lumia "Cityman" / 940XL, 5.7inch HQD display model instead ... it would be be smaller than L1520 ... keep fingers cross, that they will put in a "audio chip" into WP for once
will see if they have any actual audio improvements instead of the gimmicky "Dolby Digital Plus audio recording" in L930. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #701 of 7,916

I had L1520 prior and is really too big ! Fortunately MSFT has taken note of it ... I'm waiting for Lumia "Cityman" / 940XL, 5.7inch HQD display model instead ... it would be be smaller than L1520 ... keep fingers cross, that they will put in a "audio chip" into WP for once
will see if they have any actual audio improvements instead of the gimmicky "Dolby Digital Plus audio recording" in L930. 

If this phone has actual audio improvements, I'll be all over it. If not then I'm going to stick with my initial plan to just buy another Android phone (probably the M8) and use that for music..

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #703 of 7,916
  I've never thought about getting a Windows phone before. Do any of them have a dedicated DAC chip like the Samsung phones with the Exynos chipset?

not that i know of ....WP is not well known for their audio (photography is top-notch though), but we need to see WP10 ... new flagship out in sept ... Cityman & Talkman (Lumia 940 & Lumia 940XL)
will see if they ever interested getting into the audio game.

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #704 of 7,916
  I've never thought about getting a Windows phone before. Do any of them have a dedicated DAC chip like the Samsung phones with the Exynos chipset?

I don't think so. The best you can get for audio is probably the HTC One M8 for Windows that is if you're from the US. Unfortunately, I'm not.

But right now my 1520 sounds really nice not really that loud but loud enough for me. My only problem is it's too big! LOVE the screen though, absolutely gorgeous but I don't watch movies there so it's kind of a waste. Just got it on a very huge discount but I still love it. Still very fluid and all.

Like rosw said, we need to wait for Cityman and Talkman for the audio enhancements. I hope they would go for it because I don't wanna switch to Android or iOS for that matter.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #705 of 7,916

Wow! you really know what you are doing ... I am still on the original PRC ROM ... pure stock ... i get a random Chinese Girl speaking to me - like google now ... padding:0px;"> 

even till now, i cant find a phone that offer so much at such a low price ard USD $425 unlocked, 4G LTE, 5.5 HDQ display, 32G memory, 3G RAM, 20MP Sony Camera, Finger Print Sensor padding:0px;"> 

Nice pics! :)

Hmmm Im wondering if your not using the 'I' International ROM and have the 'C' Chinese ROM installed. Your best bet like I did was install the following ROM from the EU forum where I'm @

https://meizufans.eu/forum/topic/2025/flyme-os-4-2-8-2-stable-mx4-pro

One thing worth checking as well is under info in settings what FlyMe OS version you are running. For example the one I'm running which is the most stable OS for it at the moment is 4.2.8.2.I

Once I had that installed I removed/froze apps that were causing all the problems people are talking about (I can take screenshots of them if you like). And the moment Battery Stats Plus is reporting in at 11days (Screenshot attached, yes I know I'm not going to get 11days out of this when using music, gmail, browser etc etc, but I've managed to better average out the IDLE time when the phone is in deep sleep) Giving you much more time on the battery life when you arent using the phone :wink:

You mentioned APTX supported phones, let me say I spent some time chatting and test BT headphones and discussing this with Giogio on his post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-the-best-bluetooth-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here)

I went through almost ever Android phone that supports APTX (Favourites would be, S6, S6 Edge, Z3, HTC M8s & LG G4) but after finding by advice to try from Giogio the ATH-WS99BT I ordered some up from Japan and once they got here.........WOOOW! They blew the socks of all the other BT's I had tried and lets just say I purchased almost every BT headphones that have very high ratings in sound to test with the APTX smartphone. Phillips, Zik 1 & 2, All Senny's BT headphone (Still waiting for Senny to send me my new and improved M2ABT but thats another story!) The list does go on! lol

But what I found was when I paired the ATH-WS99BT with the MX4 Pro they actually sounded really good!! So I now have ended up with the best of both worlds! Wired and wireless plus a phone that costs half the amount of the western phones! With superb audio sound and now (after tweaking...) excellent battery life!!! Just a dream :) hehe

I now find the my Fiio X5 sits in the drawer! lol Oh and my portable AMPs are staying there too! Just not needing them when out and about with the MX4 Pro!

P.s. loving your IEM's :) might have to get me some to test lol! And let me know if you want any screenshots from my phone to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back