Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #677 of 7,916
What about G4 + V4A or other apps that can boost volume? The soudstage is good but the loudness is too low at stock

It depends how it's boosting the volume. Some audio chips on phones also contain amplifiers with additional gain rather than only attenuation, so some apps might use this small amount of gain.

Others though may boost volume digitally and what this does is reduce the effective bit rate of the audio - sounds louder but actually you loose detail..

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #678 of 7,916
Hi, I am looking for a smartphone with good audio output in price range about 200-300€. Maybe Sony Xperia Z2 or Alcatel Idol 3 (or something else)? Is there a significant difference between them in terms of audio output? Xperia Z3 is bit more expensive, is it worth that extra money?

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #679 of 7,916
  Hi, I am looking for a smartphone with good audio output in price range about 200-300€. Maybe Sony Xperia Z2 or Alcatel Idol 3 (or something else)? Is there a significant difference between them in terms of audio output? Xperia Z3 is bit more expensive, is it worth that extra money?

The Idol is supposed to have better hardware and slighly better sound, but the overall perfomance is better on the Sonys, so you have to decide on your preferences: Sonic or overall quality?

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #680 of 7,916
I'm torn between these phones:

iPhone 5S (Not sure if an exaggeration but a significant number of members said it's the best mainstream smartphone for music)
Xperia Z3 (A contender and is heavily praised by reading this thread like the m8 and m9)
HTC One M8
HTC One M9

I have an upgrade since February of this year and my Lumia 1520 is still doing its job (until now) but I need a new phone for a sim of a new carrier I need to have. I'm looking at using my Lumia 1520 as my daily driver (calls, emails, texts, camera, apps) and use the secondary phone for my other sim (for work), for tracking my runs and for music.

My 1520 is ok for me and Windows 10 Mobile is great but the user experience for music lovers like me is a big pain. Groove is honestly the worst app ever and I can the same to multiple third party music apps. They're all the same.

I'm literally so fed up with that so I decided to get a new phone that is not Windows to handle music and my exercising and again my other sim for work. I'm torn between these four phones.. I'll get the M8 and Z3 cheaper, the M9 and 5S a bit more expensive.. I am absolutely stunned by the LG G4 but when I listened to audio on the HP jack it's disappointing.

Which smartphone do you guys think is the best? Although I'm still not sure about the 5S because of storage. While I can get the 64GB, I still need more storage. Unless I get a 128GB model of the iPhone 6 (which would cost me a leg and an arm so no thanks!), I need an SD card. Thanks!!

Oh and if this will help I'm just using a Soundmagic E10 although I tried a Brainwavz M3 before and thought it sounded better but it keeps on breaking unlike the E10. Honestly that's the only two IEMs I owned. If there are other IEMs that would compliment these smartphones I welcome your recommendations (budget up to 100$) Thanks again

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #681 of 7,916
  I'm torn between these phones:

iPhone 5S (Not sure if an exaggeration but a significant number of members said it's the best mainstream smartphone for music)
Xperia Z3 (A contender and is heavily praised by reading this thread like the m8 and m9)
HTC One M8
HTC One M9

I have an upgrade since February of this year and my Lumia 1520 is still doing its job (until now) but I need a new phone for a sim of a new carrier I need to have. I'm looking at using my Lumia 1520 as my daily driver (calls, emails, texts, camera, apps) and use the secondary phone for my other sim (for work), for tracking my runs and for music.

My 1520 is ok for me and Windows 10 Mobile is great but the user experience for music lovers like me is a big pain. Groove is honestly the worst app ever and I can the same to multiple third party music apps. They're all the same.

I'm literally so fed up with that so I decided to get a new phone that is not Windows to handle music and my exercising and again my other sim for work. I'm torn between these four phones.. I'll get the M8 and Z3 cheaper, the M9 and 5S a bit more expensive.. I am absolutely stunned by the LG G4 but when I listened to audio on the HP jack it's disappointing.

Which smartphone do you guys think is the best? Although I'm still not sure about the 5S because of storage. While I can get the 64GB, I still need more storage. Unless I get a 128GB model of the iPhone 6 (which would cost me a leg and an arm so no thanks!), I need an SD card. Thanks!!

Oh and if this will help I'm just using a Soundmagic E10 although I tried a Brainwavz M3 before and thought it sounded better but it keeps on breaking unlike the E10. Honestly that's the only two IEMs I owned. If there are other IEMs that would compliment these smartphones I welcome your recommendations (budget up to 100$) Thanks again

I can't speak for the others, but I have an M8, which I've rooted and installed Dragon-fi Audio mod.  And I have the Soundmagic E10, which sounds great from it. And I also have the new Soundmagic E50, which sounds much greater still!  If you like the E10, you'll love the E50, and its well within your budget.

I don't want another phone right now, am happy.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #682 of 7,916

I can't speak for the others, but I have an M8, which I've rooted and installed Dragon-fi Audio mod.  And I have the Soundmagic E10, which sounds great from it. And I also have the new Soundmagic E50, which sounds much greater still!  If you like the E10, you'll love the E50, and its well within your budget.

I don't want another phone right now, am happy.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards M8 as well since it's free on contract but wanted to know if the M9 or maybe the 5s would be miles ahead of it.. I have the budget for the M9 but I'm really contented with my Lumia 1520 (2 years after it's still a great phone and can still be pitted against flagships). I also considered a dedicated DAP but I heavily scrobble on lastfm and I can't give that up now and I prefer running with an app to track my distance so I decided just to go with another phone since I'm due an upgrade anyway. Thank you for the Soundmagic E50 suggestion. I'm going to look into that!

I kinda just threw Z3 out there since it's getting a lot of praise from the community.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #683 of 7,916

Thanks! I'm leaning towards M8 as well since it's free on contract but wanted to know if the M9 or maybe the 5s would be miles ahead of it.. I have the budget for the M9 but I'm really contented with my Lumia 1520 (2 years after it's still a great phone and can still be pitted against flagships). I also considered a dedicated DAP but I heavily scrobble on lastfm and I can't give that up now and I prefer running with an app to track my distance so I decided just to go with another phone since I'm due an upgrade anyway. Thank you for the Soundmagic E50 suggestion. I'm going to look into that!

I kinda just threw Z3 out there since it's getting a lot of praise from the community.

Go with the M8, as it does have almost equal SQ (basically a different signature, almost nothing more) and it does not have that hot-head Snapdragon 810.
Is is still a great phone, just like your good "old" Nokia!

Later you can always upgrade with a seperat DAC/AMP, as you gain SQ and do not lose functionalities like the mentioned LastFm.

One last recommendation, get a good decoding app like Onkyo HF Player or USB Audio Player Pro...

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #685 of 7,916
If sound quality of the Idol 3 is better, than that of Xperia, I think, can accept less premium look and lower performance. Xperia usually is supplied with noise cancelling headphones. How good they are? How they compare to headphones supplied with Idol 3? Is there any difference between the two Idols (4.7 and 5.5) in terms of sound quality?

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #686 of 7,916
  How many phones can play back 24/96 or 24/192 these days? Is it now all or are they still few and far between?

Every Adroid phone with decent processing power can play these sample rates. Allthough with sepcial apps like the Onkyo HF Player or USB Audio Player Pro.
The LG G3 can play 24/96 without the need for special(but very good) decoding apps. The iPhone needs the Onkyo App to play higher than 16/44

The downside is that Android himself is often a stone on the high-res decoding path, it very likely downsamples everything above 16/44 as the inbuilt DAC are usually not that good, so Android limits it. But you can read something more about it here: http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

Quote:
  If sound quality of the Idol 3 is better, than that of Xperia, I think, can accept less premium look and lower performance. Xperia usually is supplied with noise cancelling headphones. How good they are? How they compare to headphones supplied with Idol 3? Is there any difference between the two Idols (4.7 and 5.5) in terms of sound quality?

There "okay", nothing spectacular. Don´t know about the Alcatel stuff though, but I expect slightly worse sound compared to the Sony ones.

Concerning the different sizes, there are indeed major ones, and most importantly massive performance differences. Even for the price, the 4.7 is not a good option.

And you can always tweak your phone with Viper4Android and stuff like that.

If you got the money, go with Xperia and seperate DAC/AMP...(even the budget ones are very good, Fiio or iBasso)

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #687 of 7,916
Hi All,

Samsung Note 5 is here, does anyone know / has any official links / statement to its audio powers?

1) aptX?

2) Audio Sound Card - Wolfson? - Any build in DAC / AMP?

lastly what is this? under point 11: Ultra High Quality Audio - some software ?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-Here-are-all-the-new-features-of-the-beastly-phablet_id72613

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #688 of 7,916
I don't think any of the audio specs for the Note 5 are available yet. We'll probably have to wait until it's released and somebody does a teardown. Unfortunately, it's not being released in Europe, at least for the time being.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #689 of 7,916
Guys I've tested almost every western phone on the market to date with a large amount of iem, on ear, BT, and over ears ranging at different prices, using flac format and spotify 320.

The best sounding phone so far and blows the Samsung's, htc's lg's out of the water! Is the MX4 Pro with the correct HiFi setting selected in sound options the sound is amazing! At all ranges it sounds so clear, sharp and beauftiful! Currently enjoying the following headphones on the MX4 Pro:

1. T51p
2. M70x and m50
3. Ath-Msr7
4. Ath-ws99bt
5. Senni M2
6. RHA T10i
7. Beyerdynamic Custom Pro Plus

I've also tested the Oppo pm3, UE6000, Bose OE BT, Bose AE, the list goes on! :grinning: Its just the above list (not in order of best for me) is my personal preferred sound signature.

The other massive plus is the 3350mah battery, don't get me wrong a lot of people don't like the flyme OS, but with a change of launcher, apex, Google now, Nova etc it turns into a great phone!

Be interested to know anyone else that is enjoying the mx4 pro.

P.s. had the mx5 delivered for testing and let's just say it went back :grinning: roll on the mx5 pro! Because the mx5 build quality is beauftiful in the hand! I pretty much want the internals of the mx4 pro in the mx5 and then I'll be happy :smiling_imp:

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #690 of 7,916
Guys I've tested almost every western phone on the market to date with a large amount of iem, on ear, BT, and over ears ranging at different prices, using flac format and spotify 320.

The best sounding phone so far and blows the Samsung's, htc's lg's out of the water! Is the MX4 Pro with the correct HiFi setting selected in sound options the sound is amazing! At all ranges it sounds so clear, sharp and beauftiful! Currently enjoying the following headphones on the MX4 Pro:

1. T51p
2. M70x and m50
3. Ath-Msr7
4. Ath-ws99bt
5. Senni M2
6. RHA T10i
7. Beyerdynamic Custom Pro Plus

I've also tested the Oppo pm3, UE6000, Bose OE BT, Bose AE, the list goes on! :grinning: Its just the above list (not in order of best for me) is my personal preferred sound signature.

The other massive plus is the 3350mah battery, don't get me wrong a lot of people don't like the flyme OS, but with a change of launcher, apex, Google now, Nova etc it turns into a great phone!

Be interested to know anyone else that is enjoying the mx4 pro.

P.s. had the mx5 delivered for testing and let's just say it went back :grinning: roll on the mx5 pro! Because the mx5 build quality is beauftiful in the hand! I pretty much want the internals of the mx4 pro in the mx5 and then I'll be happy :smiling_imp:

I have MX4 Pro & tested with only a few other HP & tablet, i can tell you honestly, they do sound much better ... 
BUT, for the greater western world - States Side - US / parts of Europe, getting MX4 Pro is "hard" 

the drawback of MX4 Pro (PRC OEM edition) - there is still no lollipop as yet and the generally software is "quite rough" ... ie will shut down n reboot on its own, telephone call, dun go through ...
a lot of "random stuff" going on in the background ...
which a software update will fix ... but till then ... just put in a WIRED earphone and enjoy the sweet music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back