Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #451 of 7,916
M9-Much better sound quality, smoother ui, SD card support, much better battery life, camera with Raw support, boom sound speakers, don't start with snapdragon 810 overheating issues, doesn't exist on m9.
Agreed re battery life, the S6 struggles there, the lack of SD also hurts, the UI etc. subjective imo

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #452 of 7,916
M9-Much better sound quality, smoother ui, SD card support, much better battery life, camera with Raw support, boom sound speakers, don't start with snapdragon 810 overheating issues, doesn't exist on m9.

Better sound quality I can agree, but review says otherwise.

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_vs_htc_one_m9-review-1233.php

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #456 of 7,916
From memory I believe Samsung has decided to implement mandatory sample rate conversion to 96k (or is it 192k?) Since the s4, and same applies to note 3 and beyond. While the resampling algorithm is pretty good and doesn't show up on THD figures, its visible when comparing distortion graphs between different sample rates.

This has deterred me from going for any Samsung phones.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #457 of 7,916
From memory I believe Samsung has decided to implement mandatory sample rate conversion to 96k (or is it 192k?) Since the s4, and same applies to note 3 and beyond. While the resampling algorithm is pretty good and doesn't show up on THD figures, its visible when comparing distortion graphs between different sample rates.

Do you have a source for this? - Neutron reports the S6 as running at 48khz

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #458 of 7,916

Do you have a source for this? - Neutron reports the S6 as running at 48khz

Supercurio (dev for voodoo sound), as well as a measurement someone from erji forum did with emu 1616m on his note 3. This is purely a software issue (or design decision), so there can potentially be software fixes and rom version variations.

BTW are you on lollipop? I recall google reintroduced src and force resample to 48k since 5.0. This has been covered by soomal, but I've not seen much talk about it.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #459 of 7,916
I've got an HRT Microstreamer that I use with my HTC One (M7) and this can drive anything from IEMs to my Alpha Dogs and Audeze LCD2s and sound absolutely fantastic.  The Microstreamer is about the size of a matchbox - it's tiny. But it is inconvenient for on the go use.  The first time I used the combination in my pocket the OTG cable broke.  And like many others I don't really want the inconvenience (or cost) of a separate phone and DAP, 

I can't help but think how it must be so possible to properly combine a phone with a quality DAC and amp in one box and create a truly audiophile smartphone.  I just wish someone would pull their finger out and do it!

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #460 of 7,916
Has anyone compared z3+ sound quality? I've heard that there are many improvements there with the sound. Is it close to m9 or HTC remains the audio quality champion among flagships? I just want to buy a new cell phone with a combination of Shure se215 headphones. The one I stand for is Galaxy S6 since it's much cheaper than M9(in Europe, at least). I am interested in Sony z3+

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #461 of 7,916
Has anyone compared z3+ sound quality? I've heard that there are many improvements there with the sound. Is it close to m9 or HTC remains the audio quality champion among flagships? I just want to buy a new cell phone with a combination of Shure se215 headphones. The one I stand for is Galaxy S6 since it's much cheaper than M9(in Europe, at least). I am interested in Sony z3+

I own the M9 and it's way better performer than any other flagship I owned including the Z3, Iphone 6, 5S etc ! I would suggest that you keep away from Shure SE215, if you want a real audiophile SQ go for SE425 and over, the 215 is ok on the go for the average joe but won't keep the pace with lossless codecs, but if you're only into mp3 with no special needs, no complain :wink:, reviews says that the Z3+ is louder than Z3 but with poorer SQ. It's up to you !

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #462 of 7,916
I own the M9 and it's way better performer than any other flagship I owned including the Z3, Iphone 6, 5S etc ! I would suggest that you keep away from Shure SE215, if you want a real audiophile SQ go for SE425 and over, the 215 is ok on the go for the average joe but won't keep the pace with lossless codecs, but if you're only into mp3 with no special needs, no complain :wink:, reviews says that the Z3+ is louder than Z3 but with poorer SQ. It's up to you !

Meh, 425 are not in my price range :)
Do you use m9 daily or do you prefer another phone above those you have? I have looked through many videos and articles all telling how bad htc is. I just jump from one preference to another but still don't know what to choose.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #464 of 7,916

It sounded good, but did have even more limited output than the Z2.  This may be enough for your SE215 but only just I suspect.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #465 of 7,916
Yeah, after a while using Vivo Xplay 3S, I want to get something with valuable sound. I think Sony isn't worth it because it is not gonna last more than a year in my hands. 
What I am thinking about is Galaxy S6 vs HTC one M9. I know that S6 beats M9 in many ways, but what about audio stuff? It is still quite a concern for me. I don't want to pick up new Vivo because of its Chinese-locked rom and big size....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back