Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #137 of 7,916
Sony memory card could have been a snake oil, but the speed of any sd cards will not be a snake oil. Toshiba exceria type HD read up to 95mbs, and write 60mbs...considering this is an older technology, the 64gb version can only be found on ebay+shipping = almost 100$.

Now, Toshiba released an even higher speed, and not yet produced, 245mbs read, 95mbs write or so....if Sony contracted their new SD card with this, then it is nothing to sneeze off at the price...the matter is whether u can or not to afford it. The technology itself is mind staggering

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #138 of 7,916
Oh really? :)

Matters of debates, Sony states that, and some others stand with it, even testings were done...so it is one pure personal opinion to believe or not

I was debating between DAP vs all in one myself, and I knoe Z3 has a good sound quality. I have a ZX2 comming soon so i can compare and update in other threads

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #139 of 7,916
Matters of debates, Sony states that, and some others stand with it, even testings were done...so it is one pure personal opinion to believe or not

I was debating between DAP vs all in one myself, and I knoe Z3 has a good sound quality. I have a ZX2 comming soon so i can compare and update in other threads

I do hear some faint noise when my phone's doing a lot of processing (rendering a heavy duty Web page etc).

It's not inconceivable that memory card access could add some noise, but I would have guessed it was more due to the processor (or memory access itself), and not the type/brand of memory. It's definitely possible - there is some rudimentary processing/logic on memory sticks.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #140 of 7,916
Sony memory card could have been a snake oil, but the speed of any sd cards will not be a snake oil. Toshiba exceria type HD read up to 95mbs, and write 60mbs...considering this is an older technology, the 64gb version can only be found on ebay+shipping = almost 100$.

Now, Toshiba released an even higher speed, and not yet produced, 245mbs read, 95mbs write or so....if Sony contracted their new SD card with this, then it is nothing to sneeze off at the price...the matter is whether u can or not to afford it. The technology itself is mind staggering

Look at your typical song size flac is what ~70mb for a 3 min song? 2 cases either the song is copied into the ram (taking 1-2 sec) or it's streamed form the sd card 70mb over 3 min... the bandwidth of the lowest class sd card will be more the capable of streaming at those speeds. I'm relatively sure (based on how linux works) the song is copied to ram first then streamed to the dac from ram.

It's the high resolution videos (4k) or taking multiple high resolution RAW pictures in one second that needs high bandwidth.

Higher speed sd cards does NOT affect sound quality, only problem arises is when a uncompressed binaural recording that is hundreds of mb that crashes the player.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #141 of 7,916
Well a DAC would probably need cheaper, depending on which you buy, can be used with laptops and tablets and future phones.
That's the funniest thing I've read here in a while. The file sizes might be ten times the size, but the difference in SQ minuscule if real at all (and if that difference exists and is at all detectable you'll only realise it on a top flight desktop rig (perhaps the Hugo, but again, that's if there is even an audible difference).

Funniest? Then why did I spent around $400 in DSD albums when I already have more than 300 CDs and a hundred of vynils at home? Don't need the Hugo to hear the difference mate, if you have ''audiophile'' ears you'll definitely hear the difference even on entry level daps with cheap iems. For an audiophile, DSD is what dreams are made of and if you ever got the chance to auditioned proper DSD files and made A-B comparison, you won't argue with such nonsense !

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #142 of 7,916
Funniest? Then why did I spent around $400 in DSD albums when I already have more than 300 CDs and a hundred of vynils at home? Don't need the Hugo to hear the difference mate, if you have ''audiophile'' ears you'll definitely hear the difference even on entry level daps with cheap iems. For an audiophile, DSD is what dreams are made of and if you ever got the chance to auditioned proper DSD files and made A-B comparison, you won't argue with such nonsense !
Yeah, you are right, but how much space will need against flac or 320 mp3?

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #143 of 7,916
Lets follow the thread with updates.
What is the people's opinion about the headphone (and speakerphone) sound of Samsung S4 Mini, HTC One mini, as well as Iphone 5C/S?

There is a number of 'big' smartphones that are known for a good sound, such as Samsung Note, S4 and HTC One. However, what is the smaller smartphone in your opinion that produces the best quality sound without utg?

You seem to be drawing a fair amount of effort and energy from the good people here Rant?

Perhaps the odd 'thank you' to one and all in between your many blunt requests for aid and assistance - and ever changing requirements - wouldn't go astray?

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #145 of 7,916
I have HTC one max and it is a great sound quality smartphone. Haven't heard HTC one, but it will be probably the same. It can even drive my akg k612 pro. hm, not really drive, but much better than anything else that I tried /samsung galaxy tab4, gsmart gygabite, Lenovo z2, sencor/.
but I am going to send it back, cause other reasons than sound quality.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #146 of 7,916

Question is if you can tell the difference if you convert that DSD file to flac and play it on the same player.

I can see how well recorded tracks are converted to DSD with less compression and better mastering vs normal CD. i.e the format themselves are not superior, just better mastered. If you read that wiki article you provided there are 2 paragraphs in the DSD vs PCM section stating people cannot tell the difference. 

DSD requires a special DAC, and most players that support DSD will just convert it to PCM on the fly.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #147 of 7,916

During your initial transfer, assuming you also buy a card reader that can handle those speeds, then you will have your music on the card faster. After that, you will likely see absolutely no benefit. Sure, with a phone, your media will be scanned a little faster (assuming that the reader in the phone can handle the read speeds that the cards can, and while I don't know the specs of the usb controllers in phones, I find that suspect). But for listening to music, you don't need speeds faster than what is necessary to even write 4k video. Toshiba Exceria Type HD SD cards write at 30MB/s, don't know where you got your numbers, but mine came from Toshiba's web site. The Exceria pro writes at 240MB/s according to Toshiba. 

So let's look back at the 30MB/s write speed, that (the card that reads at 95MB/s). Note that these numbers are in mega BYTES pers second, not bits. There are 8 bits in a byte. So the WRITE speed (unimportant for playback, it will only benefit your initial transfer to the device) is actually 240 mbps. That means that a Panasonic GH4, in its absolute highest quality mode, writes 4k video at a slower pace. Now, these are max speeds, newer cards are designed to sustain higher write speeds, and this was development was for 4k video. 

What is the benefit of having a read speed that is many, many times higher than bit rates that can contain dynamic range well outside the range of human hearing? "Audiophile" memory cards are snake oil. They all sound the same. There are many claims to the contrary, but none will ever be substantiated by blind ABX testing, because there is no way for there to be a difference between cards, unless you've bought something that's fake, and you can't even transfer your music to it. But in terms of actual audible differences, there is just no way to produce better sounds by changing a memory card. The 1's and 0's are still just 1's and 0's. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #148 of 7,916
How about electrical noise ? Which degrade the sound ? What Sony is saying is regular cards will have more electric noise, and in turn, these electric noise degrade the sound quality in it purest form.

Exceria 64gb with 95/60 read/write speed here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-EXCERIA-64GB-Micro-SD-SDXC-95MB-Class10-UHS-I-U3-TF-Memory-Card-64G-4K-/281565284441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item418e994859

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #149 of 7,916
During your initial transfer, assuming you also buy a card reader that can handle those speeds, then you will have your music on the card faster. After that, you will likely see absolutely no benefit. Sure, with a phone, your media will be scanned a little faster (assuming that the reader in the phone can handle the read speeds that the cards can, and while I don't know the specs of the usb controllers in phones, I find that suspect). But for listening to music, you don't need speeds faster than what is necessary to even write 4k video. Toshiba Exceria Type HD SD cards write at 30MB/s, don't know where you got your numbers, but mine came from Toshiba's web site. The Exceria pro writes at 240MB/s according to Toshiba. 

So let's look back at the 30MB/s write speed, that (the card that reads at 95MB/s). Note that these numbers are in mega BYTES pers second, not bits. There are 8 bits in a byte. So the WRITE speed (unimportant for playback, it will only benefit your initial transfer to the device) is actually 240 mbps. That means that a Panasonic GH4, in its absolute highest quality mode, writes 4k video at a slower pace. Now, these are max speeds, newer cards are designed to sustain higher write speeds, and this was development was for 4k video. 

What is the benefit of having a read speed that is many, many times higher than bit rates that can contain dynamic range well outside the range of human hearing? "Audiophile" memory cards are snake oil. They all sound the same. There are many claims to the contrary, but none will ever be substantiated by blind ABX testing, because there is no way for there to be a difference between cards, unless you've bought something that's fake, and you can't even transfer your music to it. But in terms of actual audible differences, there is just no way to produce better sounds by changing a memory card. The 1's and 0's are still just 1's and 0's. 

Very clever. Very clever indeed. But you discount the ability of a very fast memory stick to ward off the obvious effects of magnetic distortions from hearby gnat-farts, and alien liquids that add jiggle and whir to the 4th dimensional audio spectra. Sure, you can't measure that in any test. But you don't have to. Audiophiles can just hear it! You didn't consider that, did you?

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #150 of 7,916
How about electrical noise ? Which degrade the sound ? What Sony is saying is regular cards will have more electric noise, and in turn, these electric noise degrade the sound quality in it purest form.

Exceria 64gb with 95/60 read/write speed here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-EXCERIA-64GB-Micro-SD-SDXC-95MB-Class10-UHS-I-U3-TF-Memory-Card-64G-4K-/281565284441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item418e994859

The faint electrical noise you hear is due to the 'errors' in processing, your phone cpu will have 700-100 MILLION transistors which could create noise, while a simple SD card only requires 2 (probably a few more now-a-days) that creates noise. SD cards don't require much energy = relatively almost zero electric/magnetic field created vs your bluetooth/wifi/4g chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back