Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #6,482 of 7,916
  Does the HTC 10 have op amps or some amplification stage?

not sure about that, htc says "new high performance headset amplifier".

it can be true for a dedicated amp, but htc never said "dedicated" explicitly.

it can also be true for the integrated headphone amp in wcd9335, it really is a "new high performance headset amp".
and being rated at 62mw@16ohm load by qualcomm, it is a powerful amp.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #6,483 of 7,916
  not sure about that, htc says "new high performance headset amplifier".

it can be true for a dedicated amp, but htc never said "dedicated" explicitly.

it can also be true for the integrated headphone amp in wcd9335, it really is a "new high performance headset amp".
and being rated at 62mw@16ohm load by qualcomm, it is a powerful amp.

Once again HTC themselves have come out and said that its standalone. They have been doing this for a long time, and the HTC 10 doesn't sound like any other phones that are sporting a SD820.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #6,484 of 7,916
I haven't heard the HTC 10 but I doubt it can compete with the Mojo or surpass LG V20 (though YMMV).

However, reading the specs of Snapdragon 835 makes me think that what you need for good sound is not really a better DAC but a top notch amplification stage:

"Qualcomm Aqstic™ WCD9341 audio codec combined with Snapdragon 835
supports an audiophile grade DAC with 32-bit/384kHz support with an SNR at
115dB and ultra-low -105dB THD+N and native DSD hi-fi audio playback.
Additionally, the Snapdragon 835 supports Qualcomm® aptX™ and aptX HD
Bluetooth audio with 2x improved power for wireless connectivity".

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #6,485 of 7,916
  I haven't heard the HTC 10 but I doubt it can compete with the Mojo or surpass LG V20 (though YMMV).

However, reading the specs of Snapdragon 835 makes me think that what you need for good sound is not really a better DAC but a top notch amplification stage:

"Qualcomm Aqstic™ WCD9341 audio codec combined with Snapdragon 835
supports an audiophile grade DAC with 32-bit/384kHz support with an SNR at
115dB and ultra-low -105dB THD+N and native DSD hi-fi audio playback.
Additionally, the Snapdragon 835 supports Qualcomm® aptX™ and aptX HD
Bluetooth audio with 2x improved power for wireless connectivity".

Doubt what you want to doubt. Many have tested it side by side and said that it is comparable with the Mojo.

Having the "Quad DAC" from ESS in the V20 doesn't make it better. Its not just about the quality of the DAC itself, its the sum of the components.

Also from what I understand (and have seen around) there is basically 0 use for DSD and very little DSD music exists (atleast that most anyone has) in the first place.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #6,486 of 7,916
I have the HTC10 and the mojo. The mojo do have better SQ. Anything else would also be a big surprise.

That said with low impedance(iems) the difference is subtle at least for my ears. For higher impedance phones i can clearly hear a difference. But ok for me the mojo is overrated. I am more looking forward to Ibasso dx200 :).

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #6,487 of 7,916
I have the HTC10 and the mojo. The mojo do have better SQ. Anything else would also be a big surprise.

That said with low impedance(iems) the difference is subtle at least for my ears. For higher impedance phones i can clearly hear a difference. But ok for me the mojo is overrated. I am more looking forward to Ibasso dx200 :).

DX200 is Really promising device. xD

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #6,489 of 7,916
Yeah... Trust your ears.... At least I do with mine... Not hearing the said equipment and make any sort of comparisons is less valuable than farts...
Back on topic for those who have actually experienced the equipments please. This is what makes this thread interesting...

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6,490 of 7,916
  This is also not the case from what HTC and other brands who have enabled it have said.

htc never said anything about "enable". nor does any other devices.

they only say that they support hi-res playback, which is true.
it is also true for all 820/821/835 devices.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #6,491 of 7,916

That said with low impedance(iems) the difference is subtle at least for my ears. For higher impedance phones i can clearly hear a difference. But ok for me the mojo is overrated. I am more looking forward to Ibasso dx200
smily_headphones1.gif

Well because with high imepd the HTC 10 doesn't have enough power to drive crazy high imped and this is why.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,492 of 7,916
  htc never said anything about "enable". nor does any other devices.

they only say that they support hi-res playback, which is true.
it is also true for all 820/821/835 devices.

They do talk about their additional audio hardware and tuning..... I really don't know where you get your information from but its certainly not HTC.
As someone who works with HTC testing pre-release phones I can tell you that you are 100% wrong.
During the test process for the HTC 10 we had to do specific AMP and audio testing not only to sort out issues with the firmware

Qualcomm also never at any point in time came out and said that all 820 devices have Aqstic.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,494 of 7,916
  Well, wouldn't a detailed teardown be able to tell us what is actually in them HTC 10s and what isn't ?

There have been teardowns, there is a custom HTC chip for the DSP but there is a myriad of modular boards inside. In the past they have used a Cirrus Logic headphone amp so it may be the same one as in the previous gen's.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #6,495 of 7,916
There have been teardowns, there is a custom HTC chip for the DSP but there is a myriad of modular boards inside. In the past they have used a Cirrus Logic headphone amp so it may be the same one as in the previous gen's.

Are you saying that there is something that htc has developed by themself in addition to aqstic(qualcomm made) that enhances the sound quality on htc 10 in particular ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back