Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #631 of 7,916
  So today Motorla showed their new Moto X Play and Moto X Style, both seem like solid phones, so I am wondering, what can we expect in the audio department, how do the previous Moto X models stand against other flagship phones like the M9, IPhone 6 and Samsung?

http://gizmodo.com/the-new-moto-x-play-and-moto-x-style-are-all-about-look-1720564158

I think they will be pretty solid, comparable to the Xperia Z series, as the focus was clearly on other things, otherwise they would advertise it more I presume.

My guess:  S6 = Moto < iPhone 6 < M9.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #632 of 7,916
  Does someone have info about chinese phones working in non-chinese networks? (LTE, etc...)

I had no problems using the Meizu MX4 Pro, Vivo X5 Max or Xiaomi Mi Note on LTE in the UK, but it depends which network you are on. You have to look at their specifications and see which bands are supported and whether your network supports those bands.  I believe it's the same for most of mainland Europe.

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #633 of 7,916

I had no problems using the Meizu MX4 Pro, Vivo X5 Max or Xiaomi Mi Note on LTE in the UK, but it depends which network you are on. You have to look at their specifications and see which bands are supported and whether your network supports those bands.  I believe it's the same for most of mainland Europe.

Okay that are the phones that are on my option list for the next purchase. As I live in Europe too, I will check the bands and networks of the major contractors.
?
Thank you very much.

One question, what can you say about the audio quality of these phones, as they all promise superior sonic capabilities?

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #634 of 7,916
Okay that are the phones that are on my option list for the next purchase. As I live in Europe too, I will check the bands and networks of the major contractors.
?
Thank you very much.

One question, what can you say about the audio quality of these phones, as they all promise superior sonic capabilities?

I was comparing them directly with my Sony Xperia Z1 and there was definitely a difference but not massive. Less so compared to the more recent flagships. With IEMs I would say the difference is definitely less significant compared to using headphones.

A couple of things. Firstly, I would say the Meizu and Xiaomi are tuned so they have a fuller and warmer sound. The Vivo is more neutral. It's worth considering when matching with gear. Also, if you turn the Hi-Fi feature on, there is definitely an increase in battery drain. I noticed this particularly with the Vivo.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #635 of 7,916
I was comparing them directly with my Sony Xperia Z1 and there was definitely a difference but not massive. Less so compared to the more recent flagships. With IEMs I would say the difference is definitely less significant compared to using headphones.

A couple of things. Firstly, I would say the Meizu and Xiaomi are tuned so they have a fuller and warmer sound. The Vivo is more neutral. It's worth considering when matching with gear. Also, if you turn the Hi-Fi feature on, there is definitely an increase in battery drain. I noticed this particularly with the Vivo.

Thanks very much again. I was afraid of this. Maybe -after all-  a smartphone with excellent battery life, OTG and decent CPU power stacked with a quality dac is the best solution...(atleast for me and some others eventually).

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #636 of 7,916
Looking for a new phone that has as much storage capability as possible, decent sounding, and on the cheaper side. Any suggestions? Currently thinking about getting the Nokia Lumia 735 after reading this review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/775074/nokia-microsoft-lumia-735-review-by-mark2410

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #637 of 7,916
the new way apps are optimized in lollipop is very important. Also 64 bit processing is extremely important in lollipop update

I don't find 64bit cpus to be useful with 3gb of ram nor improving apps in any way, my 32bit smartphones are more stable in every aspect with less overheating issues, my wife's S6 is a real waste of money, even light games such as clash of clans lags after just 5min of gaming with serious rise of temperature coming out from volume and power buttons, not to mention the very poor and low detailed SQ of this device, there're no loudness issues but it sounds like my office use only device, a Samsung J1 which barely cost $120. On the other side, I repurchased the Z3 and the lg G3. I dont have golden ears but I found that the sound is way more detailed on the Z3, which I use mainly for DSD and 24bit albums but the G3 is perfect on the go with mp3 at 320kbps and is more listenable over hours whereas the Z3 is a bit too critical but ideal for monitoring purposes.

Regarding lollipop, if this version of android is still ok on the Z3, its another story for the G3, Im facing serious battery drainage issues, the device also seems to run slower as most apps are taking about 3 to 5 seconds to load, I did factory reset but problems remains. Actually, I looking for the safest way to downgrade on kitkat.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #638 of 7,916
  Looking for a new phone that has as much storage capability as possible, decent sounding, and on the cheaper side. Any suggestions? Currently thinking about getting the Nokia Lumia 735 after reading this review:

It is a very good option if you can live with WP(10). The fact that is does not support FLAC is quite a shame, maybe WP10 will fix that if it won´t be worse...

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #640 of 7,916
Windows 10 will have FLAC support integrated.
Please do a research.
I believe maybe wrongly that the previous post was referring to Windows 8, but that 10 is different...

Other than being a hideously closed source ecosystem, I must say that the Lumia 930 I had for a short while sounded very good :)

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #641 of 7,916

If you can't find specifications of phones on the internet, then try GSM Arena - it's quite a good site for comparisons.

Here's their M9 review, for example: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-review-1230.php

In the real world, you coluld also take your headphones into a store and try the handsets out.

Plus, why do you want to be lugging huge high impedence cans around with you in a portable scenario, where all the sonic benefits will be mitigated by environment and you'll look a bit, well, silly wearing them?  This is where IEMs come into their own, given they are designed to work in this exactly this context.

Don't forget also, with Android phones, you can root and mod their architecture to tweak the sonics and amp gain in most cases.  And even with iPhone, there are tips and solutions to help enhance the out of box experience.

Look, I'm not against those who want to spend mad money on esoteric grown up lego kits, but today's smartphones do a pretty bang up job of being the tech equivalent of swiss army knifes - great for most requirements on the go, including audio.

Yes they are but other than their main function aren't as good as their dedicated counterparts...just like a swiss army knife. Screen is small for a tablet, sound is generally meh for a DAP, etc. They can measure fine but still wont sound as good as better DAPs. I have an Iphone 6 and have heard the latest Androids before getting it. I don't use it much for music. They're fine if they meet a need but not up to the better dedicated DAPs. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #642 of 7,916
  It is a very good option if you can live with WP(10). The fact that is does not support FLAC is quite a shame, maybe WP10 will fix that if it won´t be worse...

Windows 10 will have FLAC support integrated.
Please do a research.

Windows 8.1 does support FLAC, if you are willing to pay a couple of bucks though.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/776381/microsoft-lumia-640-lte#post_11805401

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #643 of 7,916

Lumia 640
http://www.head-fi.org/t/776381/microsoft-lumia-640-lte#post_11805401

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #644 of 7,916
Hi all,

I'm newbie here and require your help to go for a good music phone. I currently own a Moto X now and i love that phone but it's not that of a music phone. I'm not that into camera or latest flagship, so any suggestion regarding quality audio output would be really fine. I checked forums here and some articles and find out that HTC M8 is actually one of the best you can go for as a music mobile. Any mobile that can better M8 is welcome as i don't have much idea about other mobiles. I heard that Vivo x5 Max is a good one but is it comparable to m8?

PS : on the other note how are you guys comparing Nokia N900 and N9 sound quality to the new mobiles? I used to have those two as my music player before turning into android and i still have N900 because i can't let go that software and it's features. So just out of curiosity how is it fare now with other phones??

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #645 of 7,916
  Hi all,

I'm newbie here and require your help to go for a good music phone. I currently own a Moto X now and i love that phone but it's not that of a music phone. I'm not that into camera or latest flagship, so any suggestion regarding quality audio output would be really fine. I checked forums here and some articles and find out that HTC M8 is actually one of the best you can go for as a music mobile. Any mobile that can better M8 is welcome as i don't have much idea about other mobiles. I heard that Vivo x5 Max is a good one but is it comparable to m8?

PS : on the other note how are you guys comparing Nokia N900 and N9 sound quality to the new mobiles? I used to have those two as my music player before turning into android and i still have N900 because i can't let go that software and it's features. So just out of curiosity how is it fare now with other phones??

I don´t know about the Nokia, but the Vivo is extremely hard to get and very expensive, as it is one of the best smartphones concerning sound quality.
The speciality about the M8 is that has a lot of power, so it can drive many phones other phones(even flagships) couldn´t drive. And since it has android you can tweak it, there is a devoted HTC soundmod which is said to be very good. (look up "Dragon-Fi")

Considering price-power ratio the Alcatel Idol 5.5 is a very good option as it has very good components and enough CPU power and expandable memory.

One question: What headphones do you own? Just want to know so we/ I can recommend the better suiting sources...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back