Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #587 of 7,916
  That will definitely be a consideration. I will eventually be getting an external DAC, don't know if that changes any recommendations.

Well, all you need is a phone that supports OTG and a fast device for a good and stable playback. The app USB Audio Player Pro(UAPP) is said to be the best for it as it supports almost every dac known to man. There is a list of devices and smartphones it supports:

http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #589 of 7,916
I would go for the ZX2 too, but I do not have 1000 grand lying around casually so I have to live and listen with compromises, but nonetheless, an only-DAP set up has its advantages and benefits.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #590 of 7,916
It's an old thread but here's the truth. Since 2013 Sony has been producing smartphones with DAC and USB out features too. And they are doing it very well. I'm using Xperia Z3 compact with my IEM. Things works like a charm.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #591 of 7,916
It's an old thread but here's the truth. Since 2013 Sony has been producing smartphones with DAC and USB out features too. And they are doing it very well. I'm using Xperia Z3 compact with my IEM. Things works like a charm.

True, and I have the Z2. But they are not loud enough for medium sensitivity headphones. Most phones out of Europe are 6dB louder. I really wanted to buy the Z3+, but it's even quieter.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #592 of 7,916
To all the people mentioning the ZX2. Isn't its proprietary DAC still not quantitavely tested? That does not People are treating it like a Chord Hugo. It could merely be at the level of an iPod touch 6th generation (which runs iOS). Then the IPod would be a better priced deal and conveniently sized; it's internals are equivalent to the iPhone 5s.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #593 of 7,916
I have the ZX2 alongside far too much other equipment to mention, it is, when driving high enough quality IEMs, head and shoulders above any phone...

Ignoring the DAC, the output stage is what Sony has worked on for the ZX2, and that shows...

I was one of the principle advocates of using a cellphone as a music device, but you know what, I got sick and tired of switching handsets (worst month was BUYING three different handsets!!) searching for a jack of all trades, didn't happen...

Not to say it never will, and not to take away from anyone's enjoyment of their cellphone, my favourite current gen device is the HTC M9, passable should I not have the ZX2 with me, but same league, no.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #594 of 7,916
Just wanted to share my thoughts on Chinese phones, as I have demoed the Meizu MX4 Pro, Xiaomi Mi Note and Vivo X5 Max extensively. On paper they have really good audio components, but IMO you won't hear that much of a difference (if any) compared to a Western flagship with a decent DAC like Cirrus Logic or Wolfson. The one advantage with the Chinese phones I've tried is the dedicated amp(s) which is great if you have headphones that need that extra juice. Basically, you have to weight audio up with the other features that are important to you. Personally, my next phone will probably be the Note 5, but that's because the OS of Chinese phones is not good for somebody like me who requires proper Japanese character input. Also, for anybody who is considering a Chinese phone, be careful as there are some dodgy resellers out there. An acquaintance purchased a Vivo X5 Max from one and received a different version to what he had ordered. He went through a lot of hassle to get his money back.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #595 of 7,916
To all the people mentioning the ZX2. Isn't its proprietary DAC still not quantitavely tested? That does not People are treating it like a Chord Hugo. It could merely be at the level of an iPod touch 6th generation (which runs iOS). Then the IPod would be a better priced deal and conveniently sized; it's internals are equivalent to the iPhone 5s.

Zx2 is a high-end DAP that Sony suddenly decided to get all serious again about Walkman line. It was tested and tried competing against many other DAP including AK240, and yet slightly better. It is leap and bound over those iPod 6.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #596 of 7,916
Just wanted to share my thoughts on Chinese phones, as I have demoed the Meizu MX4 Pro, Xiaomi Mi Note and Vivo X5 Max extensively. On paper they have really good audio components, but IMO you won't hear that much of a difference (if any) compared to a Western flagship with a decent DAC like Cirrus Logic or Wolfson. The one advantage with the Chinese phones I've tried is the dedicated amp(s) which is great if you have headphones that need that extra juice. Basically, you have to weight audio up with the other features that are important to you. Personally, my next phone will probably be the Note 5, but that's because the OS of Chinese phones is not good for somebody like me who requires proper Japanese character input. Also, for anybody who is considering a Chinese phone, be careful as there are some dodgy resellers out there. An acquaintance purchased a Vivo X5 Max from one and received a different version to what he had ordered. He went through a lot of hassle to get his money back.

Thank you for your info, much appreciated. I suspected that much, and I still am thinking that smartphones will take a long long way before it could really replace any DAP :D.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #597 of 7,916
Finally got round to rooting my HTC One M8. Man that was a steep learning curve!

But now its done, I've installed Dragon Fi Audio mod and it has improved the sound quality from the headphone out massively.

Just wonderful.  And a salutory lesson in why smartphones are never just what they appear to be out of the box, especially the profoundly customisable Android devices. 

With these new Android-based DAPs, can you root them I wonder?

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #599 of 7,916

I was honestly kind of hoping someone would say something like this. I was really leaning to the Xperia z3v, but the lack of support (still running KitKat) has taken me back from it. Then I read the z4v is coming out in a couple weeks. After reading your post I think that is the phone I will be getting. 

I really appreciate all the input everybody.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #600 of 7,916
  I was honestly kind of hoping someone would say something like this. I was really leaning to the Xperia z3v, but the lack of support (still running KitKat) has taken me back from it. Then I read the z4v is coming out in a couple weeks. After reading your post I think that is the phone I will be getting. 

I really appreciate all the input everybody.

Just fair warning, the Z4v will be sporting the Snapdragon 810, which has been known to have a host of problems. Beware. Also the Z3v can be rooted and rommed to 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back