Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #2,776 of 7,916
Try media monkey for Android guys.Best sound quality with hi resolution audio player I've tried so far.

May 17, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,778 of 7,916
Playing FLAC files with media monkey(preset normal) on my HTC 10.And it sounds very impressive through headphones and speakers(v moda m100 and B&W 685 S2 ).Highly detailed,great separation and soundstaging, with an overall warm sound sig.

May 17, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,779 of 7,916
Hey guys, been following this thread for quite awhile. I need some advice on a new buy.

So if you had to make a choice between these phones, keeping in mind that sound quality for headphones is the main concern here which would you choose out of these:

HTC One M8
Asus Zenfone 2
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
LG G4
One Plus One
Huawei Honor 6
Huawei Honor 5X
Lenovo K4 Note

Thanks for the input!

May 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,780 of 7,916
What will you be driving? That plays a part.

May 17, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,781 of 7,916
I'm a pixel whore, and there is to me a massive difference between 1136x640 (5s) and 2560x1440 (S7 and various others) for day to day usage - I can easily see the pixels on a 5s screen (wish I couldn't, drives me crazy!)..

There is a limit though, I bought the Z5 Premium for its 4K screen, that doesn't work for me due to how it was limited (mostly running at 1080 - 4 pixels used as 1)

You are probably talking about interlacing. Some of the iPhones have this issue when certain colors on the screen look like they have "moving" pixels when you look closely enough. My previous 5S had this issue, but the one I'am using now is nearly perfect all around when it comes to quality control.
There is probably no phone in existence which would literally be perfect, but this doesn't mean that certain things aren't more important than the others.
Nexus 5 was driving me insane and I simply ended up using it only for the very essential things. And to heck with open source when almost every ROM is the same thing and you are very limited with what you can actually change.
I remember XDA development sections for HTC Desire HD back in the day, now THAT was something. Almost every ROM was like an entirely new OS. Plus they had quite literally limitless advanced customization settings.
But now it's ****. No fun at all.

Now add input latency on top of that, scrolling and stuttering issues (it's "fine" but suddenly it becomes **** when you compare it to iOS), terrible multitasking management (games starting to lag because of some stupid background system task), apps not always working how they're supposed to, more features than the actual implementations etc... [[ MP3 and AAC over A2DP which is featured and coded but virtually not supported at all nor implemented would be a very good example* ]] and then you get my point.

*AOSP supports only SBC codec over A2DP. No Nexus in existance is capable of playing music over bluetooth with quality any higher than SBC@328 = MP3@256.

Some manufacturers hack it and pay for aptx licence (which is ridiculous when you can have AAC), but then you lose even that once you flash custom ROM which supposedly fixes other issues with your software (performance? battery life?) which shouldn't even be there to begin with.

May 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #2,782 of 7,916
What will you be driving? That plays a part.

Sennheriser 518, Audio Technica M50s and Grado SR80e's. On the IEM side, some JBLs that I can't name the model of off the top of my head.

With these headphones I've heard the LG V10 for example and some things I found great, some not deal breaking but for the above choice I want the best peak SQ combo I can have.

May 17, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,783 of 7,916
That v10 tho....amazing. I've had quite a few of the devices mentioned in this thread(sony z3, vivo x5max,meizu, iphone5s). V10 hands down the best nothing imo comes close(maybe international g5 with module). You can get them for relatively cheap these days since the majority ignore it's hifi capabilities and just see the older snapdragon 808chipset. Now if lg were to create a successor that was running the 820 chipset while maintaining the dac/amp in the v10...id jump on that in a heartbeat. I'd like to thank Whitigir for his insight on the v10 which ultimately was the reason I ended up with it. :)

May 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2,784 of 7,916
  Hey guys, been following this thread for quite awhile. I need some advice on a new buy.

So if you had to make a choice between these phones, keeping in mind that sound quality for headphones is the main concern here which would you choose out of these:

HTC One M8
Asus Zenfone 2
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
LG G4
One Plus One
Huawei Honor 6
Huawei Honor 5X
Lenovo K4 Note

Thanks for the input!

Hard to say, since not lot of people have heard all the smartphones on the list.
I only listened a short time to the HTC one M8, and I did like the sound of it!
Still, my time with it was too short to be able to honestly recommend it to you.  

Playing FLAC files with media monkey(preset normal) on my HTC 10.And it sounds very impressive through headphones and speakers(v moda m100 and B&W 685 S2 ).Highly detailed,great separation and soundstaging, with an overall warm sound sig.

If you've got the time, could you A/B it to poweramp?

May 17, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #2,785 of 7,916
That v10 tho....amazing. I've had quite a few of the devices mentioned in this thread(sony z3, vivo x5max,meizu, iphone5s). V10 hands down the best nothing imo comes close(maybe international g5 with module). You can get them for relatively cheap these days since the majority ignore it's hifi capabilities and just see the older snapdragon 808chipset. Now if lg were to create a successor that was running the 820 chipset while maintaining the dac/amp in the v10...id jump on that in a heartbeat. I'd like to thank Whitigir for his insight on the v10 which ultimately was the reason I ended up with it. :)

You are very welcome, and I am glad I could help

May 18, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2,786 of 7,916

Hard to say, since not lot of people have heard all the smartphones on the list.
I only listened a short time to the HTC one M8, and I did like the sound of it!
Still, my time with it was too short to be able to honestly recommend it to you.  

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am leaning towards the HTC One M8 but I am not sure I am making the right decision. Technically speaking the M8 is an inferior phone compared to the newer ones up there but I wouldn't want to pass on the best audio experience if it is indeed head and shoulders above the rest.

May 18, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #2,787 of 7,916

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am leaning towards the HTC One M8 but I am not sure I am making the right decision. Technically speaking the M8 is an inferior phone compared to the newer ones up there but I wouldn't want to pass on the best audio experience if it is indeed head and shoulders above the rest.

I owned the M8 for an year and the sound quality was pretty good (I thought the sound quality was top of the line) but then i listened to my uncle's iphone 6s and the sound had more clarity and more precise bass than the m8, so i bought the 6s plus and the sound is awesome much better than the m8. I would ask you to audition the 6s in an apple store and also check the m9 (heard it has more clarity than the M8) and then go for the m8 if you still want it. I don't know what is your current phone, but will suggest you to upgrade to a good DAC like the chord mojo and iems instead of changing phones every now and then. 

I am rather new to this IEM world and regret paying such huge amounts on upgrading phones, when i joined the forum i came to know about some AMPs and DACs which can make much changes in the sound signature than the onboard sound chips in phones, then i would have kept my M8 and got an AMP/DAC and this would have saved a lot of money.

May 18, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,788 of 7,916

HTC One M8
Asus Zenfone 2
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
LG G4
One Plus One
Huawei Honor 6
Huawei Honor 5X
Lenovo K4 Note

Thanks for the input!

why not vibe x3?  between got chance to listen redmi note 3 32gb edition and the sound is similiar to mi4 and mi3.. same kind of Hifi sound technique.

May 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,790 of 7,916

why not vibe x3?  between got chance to listen redmi note 3 32gb edition and the sound is similiar to mi4 and mi3.. same kind of Hifi sound technique.

That's their premium option. I'm going for the mid-range here. Plus I've heard their K4 Note does have some hifi capabilities...

I know I could buy a portable setup but to me the all-in-one that a phone gives is unreplicable. Any Iphone is not an option.

Let's dwindle it down: how does the LG G4 compare to the M8? What would I lose choosing either one of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back