Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2,251 of 5,166
Hello all,

I am looking for an audiophile phone. I am about to buy a Meizu 16X or Meizu 16 (Global versions) but would like to know what you think about alternatives?

Price range: up to 300$
Screen size: >=6 inch for 18:9 / >=5.7 inch for 16:9
What kind of music you mainly listen: mostly Electronic, but also sometimes Metal, classical for studying
Special request:
Need dual camera: yes (zoom would be nice, not a must though)
Performance: at least SD710 or similar performance
If Chinese I only consider Xiaomi or Meizu, other brands I would prefer though due to usually better software

What I found out is that the LG G7 (lite version) might be good for sound, but I think in many other aspects it is not a really good choice (e.g. body quality).

I would be really happy to get some advice!

Also, it would be great if we could update the audiophile smartphones excel overview. It seems there was no update for about a year.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #2,252 of 5,166
Hello all,

I am looking for an audiophile phone. I am about to buy a Meizu 16X or Meizu 16 (Global versions) but would like to know what you think about alternatives?

Price range: up to 300$
Screen size: >=6 inch for 18:9 / >=5.7 inch for 16:9
What kind of music you mainly listen: mostly Electronic, but also sometimes Metal, classical for studying
Special request:
Need dual camera: yes (zoom would be nice, not a must though)
Performance: at least SD710 or similar performance
If Chinese I only consider Xiaomi or Meizu, other brands I would prefer though due to usually better software

What I found out is that the LG G7 (lite version) might be good for sound, but I think in many other aspects it is not a really good choice (e.g. body quality).

I would be really happy to get some advice!

Also, it would be great if we could update the audiophile smartphones excel overview. It seems there was no update for about a year.

Meizu 16th

PS. You can give me a list of phones you want to add. I need to keep it uneditable for document control.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #2,253 of 5,166
Well, the two LG G7 phones and the V40 should probably be there. Same with 16th and 16th plus.

Do you (or anyone else) know anything about the 16x sound capability?

I would actually prefer the x bevause I prefer the metal back over the (always dirty) glass back.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #2,254 of 5,166
my current phone

4112kN0Ph8L.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #2,257 of 5,166
Read my google sheet in first post.
Hello guys.My second post in this great forum just to say that my vivo Nex(1805) has the cs 43130 inside,not the cs 43199 as i read in the sheet.I know that soomal review reports the same thing but i suspect there is a misunderstanding or my vivo 1805 isn't the Nex s(but I don't think so).Sorry for my unlikely english.:ksc75smile:

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #2,258 of 5,166
I just ordered the Meizu 16th.

I actually tried to get more information about the 16x/16 but even the Meizu customer support didn't know about it.

The 16th btw uses the Cirrus Logic Cs35L41 amp in combination with the built-in Qualcomm DAC. I have no clue if there are also differences or if all of them (at least in the Snapragon 845) are the same?
The 16th plus also uses the CL DAC, hiwever is not available as global version and lacks some important LTE bands.

Since I am currently still using the Pro5 (with ESS chips) I can do a direct comparison btw.

(The Pro5's sound quality is the best I've heard anywhere. Even my super expensive Digital surround amp has no chance concernig the sound quality.

Will get back with a little overview about the phone :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #2,260 of 5,166
Hello people!
Could you recommend me a phone with 5-5.5 inch screen and really good sound (Don't wont these 6 inch beasts with weird 18:9 aspect ratio)?
Earphones are Sleek Audio SA7.

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Vivo xplay6.

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #2,261 of 5,166
Anyone going to try Blackshark 2 ? I like that phone as a media consumption device with proper dual front firing speakers. Yes it's a dongle dongly thing but is it any good ?

@artpiggo are you going to test it anytime ? Would love to hear an audio review from you.

Display, Audio, Os smoothness are my preference. I don't use camera(i know pretty weird in instagram age but hey !! Its who i am). Bezels in Blackshark 2 is tolerable since it has proper front firing speakers like Pixel phones.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #2,262 of 5,166
No, I am not a gamer. So no blackshark or iqoo test :p

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #2,264 of 5,166
I am astonished how crappy my Samsung Note 9 is for audio playback. They can't even drive my new Audeze LCD-2CB's without my having to use a software option-- in this case the Volume Booster GoodEV app from the Android Play Store. I may consider a switch to another cell phone soon.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #2,265 of 5,166
I am astonished how crappy my Samsung Note 9 is for audio playback. They can't even drive my new Audeze LCD-2CB's without my having to use a software option-- in this case the Volume Booster GoodEV app from the Android Play Store. I may consider a switch to another cell phone soon.

I don't think there will be one fully drive this can. Should be maximum around 80% of its full capability.

Even for xplay6, LG V30/V40, meizu pro 5. Better to have standalone Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back