Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Feb 1, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #2,191 of 5,166
Hey guys,

I currently have a Meizu Pro 5 (make that two, but the first one has a fried audio jack), but it slowly becomes unusable. The battery gets worse, it has some charging problems, loses 40% over night even though it's plugged in the whole time, the OS becomes laggy and unresponsive etc. I mean, this thing is nearly 4 years old now, and I already bought it used, so maybe it is the right time to upgrade.

What audiophile smartphone could you guys recommend me? The most important part for me is a big display (not smaller than 6"), maybe a good camera with slow-motion video capabilities, a big battery for long screen-on-times, and of course the audio quality. Budget might be around 300-450€ maximum.

I could get a good deal on a Note 9, and kinda fell in love with this phone. According to https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note9-review-1805p3.php this might be a nearly perfect phone for audiophiles, but during my quick look-around, I couldn't find anything in this thread about the Note 9, or I didn't look hard enough.

Can you guys recommend the Note 9? Should I wait for the S10 release? Or are there other, better, cheaper alternatives already around?

Thank you very much in advance

If you can get a note 9 for that price then you should do it without too much thinking.
You should really try s9 / note 9 by yourself. They are good enough for low impedance.
V30 / V30+ is a good phone pretty much only SQ wise. Can't recommend it for anything else.

If your pc got a type C port then I suggest to buy the apple type C dongle for 10 eur and try it with your gear. It got quite the incredible measurements and unless you need to drive really high impedance it might be loud enough.
I consider most of the stuff in this thread to be audiophile BS, I can only suggest to try the stuff yourself.

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #2,192 of 5,166
If you can get a note 9 for that price then you should do it without too much thinking.
You should really try s9 / note 9 by yourself. They are good enough for low impedance.
V30 / V30+ is a good phone pretty much only SQ wise. Can't recommend it for anything else.

If your pc got a type C port then I suggest to buy the apple type C dongle for 10 eur and try it with your gear. It got quite the incredible measurements and unless you need to drive really high impedance it might be loud enough.
I consider most of the stuff in this thread to be audiophile BS, I can only suggest to try the stuff yourself.

Those are some harsh words at the end, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #2,196 of 5,166
hey fellas, can you pls help me decide,

leEco le max 2 vs. meizu pro 7s or should i go straight to lg v30 instead?, right now im using asus zenfone go which has already a good built in dac but i dont know what dac theyre using on it, i can only say its on par with my zishan z3+burson v5id but with better sub bass, lesser depth. im torn whether to try the xduoo x20 or get a new phone.

edit: just realized le max have no 3.5mm jack oof

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #2,197 of 5,166
Lg v30

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #2,199 of 5,166
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,201 of 5,166
Hopefully someone in here can help me. I have an LG G6 h870ds with the quad DAC and ESS Sabre Chip. As a phone it just wasn’t up to the job so I have gone back to iPhone as they just work, but i’m not happy with the sound from it. Just wondered if something like the Dragonfly red or black would be much of an upgrade in sound from the LG? If not then i’ll Probably keep the LG as a DAP.

Thanks

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #2,202 of 5,166
Hopefully someone in here can help me. I have an LG G6 h870ds with the quad DAC and ESS Sabre Chip. As a phone it just wasn’t up to the job so I have gone back to iPhone as they just work, but i’m not happy with the sound from it. Just wondered if something like the Dragonfly red or black would be much of an upgrade in sound from the LG? If not then i’ll Probably keep the LG as a DAP.

Thanks

I think dragonfly red has the same chip as the lg g6 although not sure. I would keep the g6 cause I don't think you will see much difference. It's better to keep your money and invest in the future in Serious dap as I want to do. I have the shanling m0 and it's great. I wanted to buy the g7 but I don't think it's worth it. So I'm collecting money to buy something more powerful in the future.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #2,203 of 5,166
So what would be the better choice right now? planning to get the meizu pro 6 plus or is there any better alternative?

Depend on what brand is selling in your country.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #2,204 of 5,166
Anyone know what the meizu 16th (not 16, i know, naming...) has to offer in terms of dac chip / bluetooth codecs...?

Hello all,

I would like to get a phone with a good DAC very soon and I would like to know if anyone of you has an idea in the meantime if the Meizu 16th has a DAC and also which one is used. I read somewhere that the 16th has an amp and the 16th plus an amp+DAC, but I could not find any source not the type of DAC.
Also, is there any Xiaomi phone with a DAC or does any Oneplus have a dedicated DAC?

Thanks a lot :)
Jan

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #2,205 of 5,166
Anyone tried the new Oneplus 6 yet? I have it coming this week and hoping it's close to the V30...
Audio quality of OnePlus 6 is in line with top smartphones, including Apple iPhones. They all sound similar, at least with 32 Ohm headphones.

Details of objective music-based audio measurements are on this df-slide:

OnePlus6%40SE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back